Por Larranaga Panatelas & Panatelas in general

jacksfull

even if it is common opinion that small shorfillers dont need much time to rest,

my personal experience for cuban panetelas is :

RGPE 5+ years

PLP 4+ years

QP 2+ years

besides the age the quality consistency is worse than that of longfillers ( which is worse enough with some cubans ;-)

I have boxes of RGPE from 2010 which are superb to ( still ) unsmokable.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

love these,seldom get a bad one,and then it is one of 25........24 chances to love them....

will look forward to later when you have tried a few more...........hope things improve for you......thumbsup.gif

I know this is an old post But agreeing with GB on this will always have a box on hand for the money great 45 min smoke

• 4 weeks later...

@Jacksfull I think its important to point out that these are Mild cigars, a first smoke of the day or breakfast cigar.

Here are my notes on a young 2013 I burned a few months ago.

Soft hay & cedar aroma. Sweet earth, twang & spice cold draw. 1st-slightly salty earthy twang, tea leaf and wet grass. Theres a very faint cinnamon spice & nutmeg on the finish. Firm draw, thin smoke, even burn, short ash. 2nd - Lil more woody w/vanilla cream & mild coffee bean. Very mild but a really nice combination of flavors, very enjoyable. 50min 22/30

You say you dont get a lot of "Ahh Cuba" in these but my experience is very different. Ultimately if you are convinced these are not worth your time, there are plenty of other options out there.

• 3 weeks later...

This thread's a little old, but I finally got some PLPs...they were the 2006 ones that our host put up maybe a month ago. I've now had a few them, and it's really my first time with aged cigars. I have to say, they've aged nicely (even for an ugly looking cigar). It's exceptionally smooth and sweet--never tasted a cigar so smooth, sweet, and creamy actually. My only complaint is that there is hardly any strength. The PLPs have either always been too mild, or these nine-year-old ones have become too mild. Either way, the fresh (2013/2014) PLMCs I've had have had the strength bump that I want, but they just don't have the sweetness and creaminess that the aged PLPs have....

I'm 100% positive that there's a compromise in the middle here but I haven't found it. Maybe it's aged PLPCs instead?

• Like 2

This thread's a little old, but I finally got some PLPs...they were the 2006 ones that our host put up maybe a month ago. I've now had a few them, and it's really my first time with aged cigars. I have to say, they've aged nicely (even for an ugly looking cigar). It's exceptionally smooth and sweet--never tasted a cigar so smooth, sweet, and creamy actually. My only complaint is that there is hardly any strength. The PLPs have either always been too mild, or these nine-year-old ones have become too mild. Either way, the fresh (2013/2014) PLMCs I've had have had the strength bump that I want, but they just don't have the sweetness and creaminess that the aged PLPs have....

I'm 100% positive that there's a compromise in the middle here but I haven't found it. Maybe it's aged PLPCs instead?

There are some of us on FoH who prefer younger Por Larranaga cigars because of the 'bite' or 'mongrel' you've mentioned, whereas other prefer the smooth, mild aged experience (I prefer aged and smoother). It sounds like the best thing for you to do is get a Por Larranaga box (whether it's Petit Coronas, Montecarlos or Panatelas...but remember, these are short filler) and let it rest. Sample one cigar after 6 months maybe, then another after a year. See how they develop. You'll probably find the 'sweet spot' you are after in the third year (or fourth or fifth). This process is part of what makes our hobby so enjoyable, in my opinion.

• Like 3

There are some of us on FoH who prefer younger Por Larranaga cigars because of the 'bite' or 'mongrel' you've mentioned, whereas other prefer the smooth. mild aged experience (I prefer aged and smoother). It sounds like the best thing for you to do is get a Por Larranaga box (whether it's Petit Coronas, Montecarlos or Panatelas...but remember, these are short filler) and let it rest. Sample one cigar after 6 months maybe, then another after a year. See how they develop. You'll probably find the 'sweet spot' you are after in the third year (or fourth or fifth). This process is part of what makes our hobby so enjoyable, in my opinion.

Agreed, sadly I don't have a whole cab but I have some PLPCs from 13 that I'll probably be sampling next year and the year after. We'll see how that goes.

Sent from AOL in 1999

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Been going through a few RGPEs from the LCDH that I believe are from 13 or 14 and I must say they're absolutely fantastic. Much better than the RGPC and RGPs I've smoked over the last few years. These RGPEs are coming in at 92-93 points for me. There's quite a bit of 12 stock available and some 15 out there and the price is just unbeatable at a little over $2/ stick at a popular vendor. Again, I know these Short Panetelas are a bit on the small side, but they probably go longer than Perlas and again, the value is tremendous.

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I've recently picked up a partial box of PLP (LAU MAY 16) on the secondary market, and I'm quite impressed with these little suckers. Not overly complex, but they burn very smoothly, taste pretty darn good, and they make a delightful pairing with an aperitif or coffee. You certainly can't beat the price. I think I need to find some more of these.

On 28.8.2017 at 10:34 AM, NSXCIGAR said:

Been going through a few RGPEs from the LCDH that I believe are from 13 or 14 and I must say they're absolutely fantastic. These RGPEs are coming in at 92-93 points for me. There's quite a bit of 12 stock available and some 15 out there and the price is just unbeatable at a little over $2/ stick at a popular vendor. Again, I know these Short Panetelas are a bit on the small side, but they probably go longer than Perlas and again, the value is tremendous.

I really would like to second this statement. The RGPE are probably the most bang for your buck CC sticks out there. After five years or so most are in the 90+ range and i found the consistency to be surprisingly high in those. They are the living proof that smoking CC is not about the money or in some way exclusive.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

I have been on a tear going through a box of PLP lately.  If I ever have any questions or doubts as to what I should smoke, I will almost always reach for one of these because they have been reliable and very tasty. I have been lucky with every box of PLP and RGPE.  They've all been solid.  The value of these when they are quality is unmatched given that you can buy 2 or 3 boxes for the price of some other 10ct boxes.  Any other thoughts out there on recent runs of these?