Cheap and Cheerful Red Wines?

SmittyinAZ

On ‎5‎/‎15‎/‎2015 at 9:25 AM, SmittyinNY said:

So was wondering who has had some good wines for around he $10 US price point or even less?

Portugal is making the some of the best wines at that price point.  Dao and Douro regions are my two favorites.  A bench mark wine from the Douro that well made for that price point is "Altano".  Crafted by the Synmington family which ones many great port wine houses like Dow, Grahams, and Warres.

The 2004 is drinking quite well.

altano.JPG

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Good for you on the Altano!  Another similarly priced wine from the Douro is Ramos Pintos "Duas Quintas".  Made by the same Ramos Pinto of port wine fame from the same grapes.  Altano is made by Symin

For me, none of those varietals at that price which I'd consider really good. I'd agree with the Castle Rock as a solid consistent drinker. Bogle falls into the same category for me. Going away from t

My wife really favors Apothic Red (blended) as well. $10 a bottle and bit sweet for me to have more than 2 glasses as I tend to prefer a things a bit on the dry side - but still a great value dependin

18 hours ago, BMWBen said:

Not quite a cheap and cheerful but I had a 2012 Duckhorn Merlot with dinner tonight that was great

They make great Merlot, but that's is on youngish side. 10-15 years old is a sweet spot for Duckhorn merlot (or Cab).

5 hours ago, mosesbotbol said:

They make great Merlot, but that's is on youngish side. 10-15 years old is a sweet spot for Duckhorn merlot (or Cab).

Good to know, I'm still very new to wine and trying things out. I actually picked up the port you had recommended a few posts up as I've never tried a port before.

Port.jpg

3 minutes ago, BMWBen said:

Good to know, I'm still very new to wine and trying things out. I actually picked up the port you had recommended a few posts up as I've never tried a port before.

Port.jpg

if you are talking about the bottle in the photo, it is not port.

the symingtons are a famous oporto family and do own a number of the very finest port houses - dows, grahams, warres, cockburns (i think) and more. but near two decades or so ago they also started making table wines, mostly reds but i think there are also some whites, from the region. some wonderful wines. but not port.

4 minutes ago, Ken Gargett said:

if you are talking about the bottle in the photo, it is not port.

the symingtons are a famous oporto family and do own a number of the very finest port houses - dows, grahams, warres, cockburns (i think) and more. but near two decades or so ago they also started making table wines, mostly reds but i think there are also some whites, from the region. some wonderful wines. but not port.

Ha you see I really wasn't kidding that I'm new at this. Good to know, thanks for the Info Ken

36 minutes ago, BMWBen said:

Ha you see I really wasn't kidding that I'm new at this. Good to know, thanks for the Info Ken

anytime.

you certainly have a good bottle - love douro reds from good producers but we don't see a lot of them. give some of the ports a go s well. but have them post dinner with a cigar - port works much better than red wines, for me.

16 hours ago, Colt45 said:

I used to drink this quite a bit - I think it's more than a cheap and cheerful  :)

I think I'll revisit soon - thanks for bringing this one up.

The thing I like about this wine is that it is great to drink right away with flavors of young red fruit, like strawberries and raspberries. However after 3-4 years those red flavors turn dark and the flavors lean toward black cherry and blackberries. Good either way.

Yes, Altano is a red wine, not port, but made from the same grapes.  Altano makes a fabulous white wine for the money, but not imported to the States.  I have had at their Quinta (Vesuvio) in the Douro.

After drinking this Altano, which should breathe for at least a couple of hours, if you want something richer; go for the Ramos Pinto Duas Quinta.  They are also a famous port producer.  Niepoort makes some elegant fresh wines at different price points.  They excel on the  more expensive ones.  Their Coche white wine I consider to be one of the best dry wines (red or white) in the whole Douro region.  Utterly incredible stuff.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/31/2016 at 8:37 AM, Blazer said:

Had this wine Friday night on a recommendation from a store owner and it was fantastic for $13.95. Went back Saturday and bought 6 more.

.323570.jpg

That is a solid wine for the money.  I did have one that was corked a couple of years ago :-(

• 2 weeks later...

Some new stuff to try, one mentioned earlier in this thread.

IMG_0567.jpg

Also a question about this one.. How come a 10 year old wine is priced so cheap ($24.99) ? Is it any good?

IMG_0568.jpg

17 minutes ago, BMWBen said:

Also a question about this one.. How come a 10 year old wine is priced so cheap ($24.99) ? Is it any good?

The short answer is that older does not always equate to better. I'm a big fan of Cru Beaujolais, and Lynch imports. I've not had this one, and if anything my first thought would be that it might be past it...