Cheap and Cheerful Red Wines?

SmittyinAZ

Had a quite nice SA Shiraz on the weekend, great value for around $15 - Bleasdale Bremerview 2014 Shiraz. 

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Good for you on the Altano!  Another similarly priced wine from the Douro is Ramos Pintos "Duas Quintas".  Made by the same Ramos Pinto of port wine fame from the same grapes.  Altano is made by Symin

For me, none of those varietals at that price which I'd consider really good. I'd agree with the Castle Rock as a solid consistent drinker. Bogle falls into the same category for me. Going away from t

My wife really favors Apothic Red (blended) as well. $10 a bottle and bit sweet for me to have more than 2 glasses as I tend to prefer a things a bit on the dry side - but still a great value dependin

19 minutes ago, Dimmers said:

Had a quite nice SA Shiraz on the weekend, great value for around $15 - Bleasdale Bremerview 2014 Shiraz. 

put cardinal whipcrack on to some langhorne creek reds last year. amazing value. bleasdale, lake breeze, bremerton, quite a few of them. so reliable and such great value.

13 hours ago, Ken Gargett said:

put cardinal whipcrack on to some langhorne creek reds last year

Haha so ive got you to thank indirectly Ken. I first came across lake breeze last year via the good cardinal. Loved it so bought a few boxes for our xmas festivities, and the wine was a hit. Might buy a few boxes of Bleasdale this year. 

6 minutes ago, Dimmers said:

Haha so ive got you to thank indirectly Ken. I first came across lake breeze last year via the good cardinal. Loved it so bought a few boxes for our xmas festivities, and the wine was a hit. Might buy a few boxes of Bleasdale this year. 

dimmers, i always prefer to work in the shadows (no need for colt to say anything).

• Like 1

• 8 months later...
On 9/11/2017 at 6:44 PM, BMWBen said:

Anyone drink anything good lately? I'm looking to try some new stuff 

If on a budget, the Costco Rioja Reserve is quite the buy.  We've gone through cases.  I think it's $7.00.  Could easily sell for double under a different name.  They also came out with a Gigondas at around $15 I bought a few, but haven't tried yet.  May do that one tonight.  If decent, that's a heck of a buy as well.  Their Pauillac at $22 is also solid, but I don't think it'll age as well as a Pauillac should.

On 9/14/2017 at 2:07 PM, BrightonCorgi said:

If on a budget, the Costco Rioja Reserve is quite the buy.  We've gone through cases.  I think it's $7.00.  Could easily sell for double under a different name.  They also came out with a Gigondas at around $15 I bought a few, but haven't tried yet.  May do that one tonight.  If decent, that's a heck of a buy as well.  Their Pauillac at $22 is also solid, but I don't think it'll age as well as a Pauillac should.

Thank you I'll keep an eye out for these. I loved your Altano Douro suggestion and have bought quite a few bottles of it since, I never would have normally tried a bottle I could get on sale for $9.99

On 9/15/2017 at 10:22 PM, BMWBen said:

Thank you I'll keep an eye out for these. I loved your Altano Douro suggestion and have bought quite a few bottles of it since, I never would have normally tried a bottle I could get on sale for $9.99

Good for you on the Altano!  Another similarly priced wine from the Douro is Ramos Pintos "Duas Quintas".  Made by the same Ramos Pinto of port wine fame from the same grapes.  Altano is made by Symington's which own Dow, Graham, Warre port brands (among others as well).  Duas Quintas is more full bodied than Altano at a similar price point.  Quinta do Crasto (another famous port & dry wine producer in the Douro) has some entry dry wines; one called "Crasto" and "Flor de Crasto" which are also great values.  Quinta do Crasto is one of most awe inspiring pieces of land to grow grapes in the world.

Image result for quinta do crasto

I tried the Kirkland Gigondas and it was pretty good!  Good buy at that price; I would suggest picking up a bottle or two.  Very clean and smooth with nice fruit.  5-7 year ager.

• Like 2

Good for you on the Altano!  Another similarly priced wine from the Douro is Ramos Pintos "Duas Quintas".  Made by the same Ramos Pinto of port wine fame from the same grapes.  Altano is made by Symington's which own Dow, Graham, Warre port brands (among others as well).  Duas Quintas is more full bodied than Altano at a similar price point.  Quinta do Crasto (another famous port & dry wine producer in the Douro) has some entry dry wines; one called "Crasto" and "Flor de Crasto" which are also great values.  Quinta do Crasto is one of most awe inspiring pieces of land to grow grapes in the world.

Anuncio-A6-F-952x536.jpg

I tried the Kirkland Gigondas and it was pretty good!  Good buy at that price; I would suggest picking up a bottle or two.  Very clean and smooth with nice fruit.  5-7 year ager.

Great suggestion Ramos Pinto is my favourite Port house and their Duas Quintas red is excellent!

• Thanks 1

On 9/18/2017 at 10:19 PM, BrightonCorgi said:

Image result for quinta do crasto

crasto is a fabulous producer and a great place. stayed with the family for 3-4 days a few years ago. amazing time. different world (i suspect that they might have more use for rob's tax havens than rob).

spent one afternoon in the infinity pool floating around with an SLR DC. (no ash went into the pool). you can see the pool in the photo, directly above the houses. on the left of the summit.

11 hours ago, Ken Gargett said:

crasto is a fabulous producer and a great place. stayed with the family for 3-4 days a few years ago. amazing time. different world (i suspect that they might have more use for rob's tax havens than rob).

spent one afternoon in the infinity pool floating around with an SLR DC. (no ash went into the pool). you can see the pool in the photo, directly above the houses. on the left of the summit.

I had dinner at Crasto in 2010.  I think the pool was just built at that point.  I like their dry wines better than their port.