Meet Ignatius

Thank you everyone. We are getting ready to go home today.

Latin for 'fiery one' or ignite. The most famous Ignatius in history is without doubt Ignatius of Loyola, who founded the Jesuit society. His compratiot, Francis Xavier has been oft-quoted with the saying, "give me the child until he is seven, and I will give you the man". This explains why the Jesuits have traditionally valued education so much.

I wish your son health, wealth and wisdom!

Nice work! It does indeed mean "fiery one" and if he is anything like me, he will be. lmao.gif (dear god, what did I get myself into?)

And while I like Ignatius of Loyola, he was named after the martyr, Ignatius of Antioch. He is a church father and was the Bishop of Antioch whom the Emperor Trajan put to death (by wild animals) at the Circus Maximus in Rome.

Ambrose, likewise, is for the Bishop of Milan. He is another one of the church fathers and a Doctor of the Church.

You definitely need to get him a box of cigars with his birth month and year on it. That would make an awesome 18th birthday present! Congratulations!

That is the plan, hopefully I will be able to set aside enough money by the time those box codes come around.

• Like 1

Thank you everyone. We are getting ready to go home today.

Nice work! It does indeed mean "fiery one" and if he is anything like me, he will be. :lmao: (dear god, what did I get myself into?)

And while I like Ignatius of Loyola, he was named after the martyr, Ignatius of Antioch. He is a church father and was the Bishop of Antioch whom the Emperor Trajan put to death (by wild animals) at the Circus Maximus in Rome.

Ambrose, likewise, is for the Bishop of Milan. He is another one of the church fathers and a Doctor of the Church.

Yes...agreed, some famous Ignatiuses throughout history. Your mentioning of Ambrose is also significant because of his personality. The one aspect of his personality that I admired was his patience and kindness.

This was shown to Augustine of Hippo. If it wasn't for the world's first autobiography (Augustine's Confessions) we would never have surmised that Ambrose was a very busy man who went out of his way for someone who was frankly 'hard work'. You see, Augustine wanted to dispel myths that he was a great man who knew it all through self-sufficiency, so he wrote a book that was the antithesis of all autobiographies that came after...it focused on properly crediting everyone who assisted him on his path and was not self-glorifying.

Ambrose's actions, in my opinion, transformed the path of western civilisation. The moral of the story? In the same way we hold high hopes for our children, never dispel the fact that someone we know, who is in our midst, has the potential to be someone great and significant!