Poll: Magic years for CC's. Which "vintages" stand out?

55 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Greetings all. Haven't posted much lately. Thought I'd try to stir things up a bit. As I sit here enjoying a 2009 P2, I've been thinking about what cigars I've enjoyed these past few years and from what year they came from with less concern on the specific box codes. If we treat Cuban tobacco crops the way vintners do with their grape harvests; which years in the last 10 years stand out for you? Don't dwell on the marcas but the overall sampling of cigars you've had from specific years that make you think. "This was a good year for Cuban tobacco."

I've broken down the poll into two questions to cover two five year spans. As we are in 2015 now, I'll cite 2014 as the cutoff year for recent vintages going back to 2010. The second period covers 2005 - 2009.

From each question, please select only two years that stood out for you. If you've been smoking for at least 10 years or have access to older boxes or singles in a fair quantity and have smoked your share, please chime in on Question 1 & 2.

Question 2 is meant to cover the "newbs" with 1 - 5 years of CC smoking. If you're a new smoker but have had a good share of pre-2009 CC's then feel free to answer Question 1.

Cast your votes, feel free to post follow up comments & questions in this thread too. I hope everyone is doing well. :cigar:

Don't smoke the newer stuff Frank sorry...

But 1998 and 2003 are very good to me now...

2006 , 2007 and 2008 also provide good smokes but they are just finding their way into the rotation so I'll need some more time to form an opinion...

• Like 2

was a tough choice between 2005, 2006 and 2008 as all have been very excellent. Came down to a coin toss and went with 2005 and 2008.

2008 here and 2012 had some magnificient boxes.

So far from what I see at the shop, 2014 is a coin toss between very ordinary and amazing. Very little in between boxes.

Welcome back Francesco

Personally I would not categorize 98 as a "vintage" year. While there were some exceptional cigars, there sure were a lot of middle of the road smokes. They seemed to have a lot less ligero compared to only a couple years earlier.

• Like 1

Personally I would not categorize 98 as a "vintage" year. While there were some exceptional cigars, there sure were a lot of middle of the road smokes. They seemed to have a lot less ligero compared to only a couple years earlier.

I guess I was just a very lucky guy then...

I think different cigars from the same years can be great and terrible. Look at all the trouble this forum goes to in order to get good boxes from the same batch, never mind the same year. 2001 HU monarchs were terrible. 2001 COLAs were the bomb. Go figure.

• Like 1

2006 and 08 would be my choice as I am starting to smoke from these years now. But I have some great boxes from 2003. The 2003 Upman #2 comes to mind. They are amazing.

Unfortunately I had to stop buying in 2009. I think I purchased only 3 -4 boxes since 2009 and have not smoked enough of the newer stuff to form an opinion.

I have some very nice cigars from 08, but not across the board. 2012 and 13 has been much better to me. Although these cigars smoke better young, they still need years in most cases to start tasting good to my tastes.

No such thing IMO, when trying to compare with wine. It all depends on the quality of the tobacco going into the cigar. The specific region, quality of crop, and curing/fermenting all play a roll. There's great and shitty tobacco in all years. I stopped chasing years and factory codes a long time ago.