let's talk about San Cristobal

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As the owner of a B&M....I can't begin to tell you how how many people will purchase a cigar based in part on the band !

Ditch the El Morro. La Punta in Tubos. It is a cigar perfect for Duty Free. Introduce Principe in 5 cigar tins. They will fly. La Fuerza to be packages along lines of the LCHD Officios/Mercadere

It may sound simple, but I would start by changing the band. Imo the current ones are boring. Add some color, give them some pop. If everything else is on something like that might create interest. T

I think a robusto and a petite Corona would be a great offering as they are popular vitolas. I haven't ever tried a SCDLH ever. They never come around our local B and M and I'm not sure I'm willing to spend the coin on a box without a test run! However I'll likely give one a go if I ever do a singles order.

My 2 cents worth - drop the price by 10% and introduce a Robusto and a Petit Corona into the line up.

I guess they still have the molds for the Oficios, which was a dalia corte, slightly bigger and longer than a pc, bringing it back in the line up at a decent price (the El Principe is well priced, I can't see why his "big" brother couldn't be as well) would be a step in the right direction IMHO.

Smoking PSP La Fuerza and see no issues with the band or the blend. Playing devil's advocate it's interesting to see suggestions that they should be cutting vitolas and introducing ELs to increase sales, given the outcry when such things happen. I think part of the problem is you have no one at source championing the brand. I bought these because they were offered here on Rob's recommendation and I thought they were worth a punt. I'll buy them again. If you're marketing a niche Cognac then you get out into your markets and put the product in front of the consumer. People aren't going to buy them through duty free or on impulse unless the price is compelling or the story is. If you cut the price then you don't have a premium brand anymore. post-13571-143265945538.jpg

The LCDH only releases were very slow sellers (could still get OR Oficios late last year) so I'm not sure that this would help. Definitely the price is too high - just too much internal competition.

Great pic Tino, great classy looking band. Love the La Punta don't think it's outrageously priced.

Maybe the brand just needs to be marketed better. Maybe Rob needs to feature them more on 24:24 or run sales in them ?

I guess they still have the molds for the Oficios, which was a dalia corte, slightly bigger and longer than a pc, bringing it back in the line up at a decent price (the El Principe is well priced, I can't see why his "big" brother couldn't be as well) would be a step in the right direction IMHO.

I agree. A petit corona is not that different from the current minuto. I personally think robustos are boring, but a robusto extra is enjoyable. The Fuerza is just that. I really enjoy the La Fuerza and El Principe, the La Punta was just ok, and have yet to try the El Morro.

I do love that the flavor profile is unique. I don't care about the packaging or bands, but know that the buying majority consumer mindstate depends on those things to equate value and quality. It's unfortunate.

As has been said, discontinue them.

Look at the recent Imperiales sales. A sad joke.

Love the Fuerza. Not willing to spend significantly more for a box than a similar cigar from another Marca though.

Very deep on principes and love them long time.

The ten worldwide premium Global and Niche brands are excluded from the Regional program. SCDH is one of the 3 niche brands.

This.

Sent by telepathic super powers

-Stogie Boy

I firmly believe this has everything to do with branding. It's a very good cigar and we, as CC smokers, appreciate them, but that's not what sells. What sells is the random guy who buys a cigar here and there to enjoy (and there are hoards of those). That guy is not waxing poetic about tasting notes. That guy wants to smoke a cigar that looks cool and says "check me out, I'm smoking a Cuban!". Those are the guys who drive sales. The band does not look like a classic Cuban band and it's never had the name equity to have people seek it out on name alone.

My solution: Discontinue the brand and 1 year later release the Cohiba Serie Millenio or Upmann Serie Especial or some other nonsense and watch it absolutely fly off the shelves.

Solution to what problem, exactly? No one said that the brand had a problem, other than poor sales HERE.

Seriously?

The brand has a serious problem much like Cuaba. Takes up the resources but doesn't deliver the return.

I have a box of La Fuerza from 2010 that are unbeatable & a box of El Morro from 03. Those la Fuerza are flavour bombs, some of the El Morro feel plugged but 2 days dry boxing..........I've no words for how good they are

That bad? So how does it compares to Rafael Gonzales, Sancho Panza and the like?

I use Cuaba as a direct comparison only because it has officially 4 cigars in production.

What Cuaba doesn't have is a San Cristobal Principe that pulls sales numbers through.

Sancho Panza has officially 2 cigars in current production and Rafael Gonzalez has officially 3 cigars in current production with the largest being the Petit Corona. The Perla has been the cigar that has puled it's numbers through.

The LCDH releases sold well though right? At the very least still better than regular production levels?

It was indeed a successful release. Excellent cigars, excellent packaging.

It's not evident when you live in Europe. Even the most modest tobacconists have the El Principe in stock.

As said in my opening post "The Principe holds it own".

The San Cristobal Principe is the brands mainstay. It is the only cigar in the lineup that resonates with the buying public. Even in Oz, you will find it in most tobacconists.

However, in Oz, it is a singles seller. Not considered among tobacconists as a box seller (as are the Partagas Short, Monte 5, Siglo 1, H. Upmann Half Corona (not same size but same buying group), Bolivar Corona Junior).

rob what is your opinion on how to reshape and re-brand san cristobal? I would say cut some of the fat like the la fuerza or el morro and boost sales from doing more of the lcdh releases something like la gloria cubana 2 horses in the stable but always seems to have an exclusive release to help even out