How Will Trademarks Get Resolved As Cuba/US Normalize?

Learning from mistakes, being optimistic and the same outcome eventuating are not three mutually exclusive occurrences. You can make improvements, rectify faults, fire people, and pray, yet still reach the same outcome you reached the first time.

This topic is about trademarks, not production increases. Lets keep it on track.

I guess if that were true, there would still be coronas galore and no 54 / 56 / 58 RG cigars.......

Do you really believe that Imperial / HSA will not try to maximize revenue?

As far as I know Europe is still fueling the Cuban cigar engine with it's massive sales of PCs and coronas in the RyJ cedros/tubos lines, the Partagas mille fleur, punch and Hoyo PC/corona tubes , piedra/Quintero etc lines

Until they are all deleted and replaced with 52-58 rg cheapies I'd still say that Cuba is being loyal to it's core markets.

Cuba could certainly maximise revenue by initially limiting supply to the US to drive up prices and demand there until it is ready to increase supply across the board so to not damage it's product ala the millennium bad year

I expect to see some sales and some court fights. Didn't think general will distribute some brands, but it makes sense.

Anyone have a list of who owns what brand in the US?

Here are the lists for Altadis and General Cigar I posted earlier:

Altadis:

Gispert (current US, defunct CC)

H, Upmann

Juan Lopez

Montecristo

Por Larranaga (not currently listed on their website, but NC brand has been attributed to Altadis)

Quintero (defunct US, current CC)

Romeo y Julieta

Saint Luis Rey

Trinidad

General Cigar:

Bolivar

Cohiba

Hoyo de Monterrey

La Gloria Cubana

Partagas

Punch

Ramon Allones (not currently listed on their website, but older NC stock still available)

Sancho Panza

Additionally, there are a few brands attributed to other NC makers/distributors:

El Rey del Mundo - Villazon

Rafael Gonzalez - Villazon

Belinda - Villazon

Fonseca - MATASA

San Cristobal - Ashton

Troya - Lignum2

Guantanamera - Guantanamera Cigar Co. - predates Cuban brand

Vegueros - Unknown - I have some small Dominican NC's I bought in the late 90's under this brand name, though.

Jose L. Piedra - Padron (updated)

And there are some other defunct Cuban brands in use by NC makers as well.

Others that I find no NC counterpart for:

Cuaba

Vegas Robaina

Diplomaticos (though there are instances of that name being used for a vitola in an NC cigar line)

La Flor de Cano

Quai d'Orsay

I apologize if any of this info is stale (or just plain wrong!) - some may have changed.

EDIT: Updated with additional info on JLP per Scroats' post below.

As far as I know Europe is still fueling the Cuban cigar engine with it's massive sales of PCs and coronas in the RyJ cedros/tubos lines, the Partagas mille fleur, punch and Hoyo PC/corona tubes , piedra/Quintero etc lines

Until they are all deleted and replaced with 52-58 rg cheapies I'd still say that Cuba is being loyal to it's core markets.

I'll agree that they continue to produce what sells (that's what they're in business to do)

I have a harder time believing they do so out of any sense of loyalty.....

• Like 1

Thanks for the list! I do know padron is making a JLP

Thanks! I updated the list above with this.

BTW, I did some Googling and couldn't find any vendors currently offering the Padron version, but did get some info from a few years back. I found one reviewer who thought it was a CC when it was clearly the Padron product, which I found amusing. Not that he thought is was any great shakes, but he did offer background info as if an expert on the CC brand... while professing that he'd never heard of JLP until being gifted the one he was reviewing. LOL