Seeking first port recommendations

AlBaron

I am at local Binnys right now, picking up another bottle of Zaya (love that stuff, btw).

I think I'm ready to try a Port next. Just walked up to a port shelf, and realized that I have no idea which one I should start with.

Any suggestions?

I don't want to break the bank on my first bottle, but, in the other hand, I still want it to be something enjoyable.

Alex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sandeman's Founders Reserve is a good entry Port at a good price point. Any of the NV Tawnies would work for me. Some prefer the Rubies though I find them too sweet for my taste.

Try a Late Bottled Vintage (LBV) from Taylor Fladgate,Dows,Fonseca, or any of the major houses.

You get 95% of the feel of a vintage port for 25% of the cost(or less)................

I would not recommend a Tawny unless you have a taste for them.,.........totally different beast.....

Character Ports will be lighter bodied and cheaper(10 to 13.00) and a good nightcap or mixed w/soda.

• Like 2

Try a Late Bottled Vintage (LBV) from Taylor Fladgate,Dows,Fonseca, or any of the major houses.

You get 95% of the feel of a vintage port for 25% of the cost(or less)................

I would not recommend a Tawny unless you have a taste for them.,.........totally different beast.....

Character Ports will be lighter bodied and cheaper(10 to 13.00) and a good nightcap or mixed w/soda.

Try to get your hands on a half bottle of vintage port from a good year...I'd personally recommend Dow, Fonseca, Graham, or Cockburn.

Both of these are good suggestions. 2011 vintage is tremendous even young

Keep in mind that once you open a vintage port, you need to drink it in a pretty short timeframe while tawnys hold longer. I find it hard to finish a bottle in one or two sittings ;)

• Like 1

I am at local Binnys right now, picking up another bottle of Zaya (love that stuff, btw).

I think I'm ready to try a Port next. Just walked up to a port shelf, and realized that I have no idea which one I should start with.

Any suggestions?

I don't want to break the bank on my first bottle, but, in the other hand, I still want it to be something enjoyable.

Alex

Right now? Whisker's Blake or Galway Pipe. They're both quite reasonably priced and very nice tawny ports. I remember when they were first recommended to me, I was a little skeptical. I was pretty convinced that port had to come from Portugal -- these are both Australian. My skepticism vanished after the first sip.

If you want to delve deeper then you can move to vintage port, albeit at a significantly higher price point -- $100USD is not uncommon. As with cigars, it's a slippery slope. If you find yourself enjoying a Graham's '85 at some point in the future, count it amongst your blessings.

Keep in mind that once you open a vintage port, you need to drink it in a pretty short timeframe while tawnys hold longer. I find it hard to finish a bottle in one or two sittings wink.png

I second this, and for that reason I usually buy tawny ports. Try to buy one with a bit of age, 10 years is already nice and 20 years is usually fantastic without being overly expensive (at least where I live).

• Like 1

What I really enjoyed & surprised me was

Allesverloren Wine Estate Fine Old Vintage from South Africa. Very nice - highly recommended.

And for the warmer days a slightly chilled Otima 10 from Warre's.

For the summer & sweet tooth, a chilled Pineau des Charentes (made of grape juice and cognac)

My 2C

• Like 1

Thank you all for your suggestions / advice.

I ended up buying this earlier today:

2ec10293447ebd2e0b591e832932419f.jpg

• Like 1

Thank you all for your suggestions / advice.

I ended up buying this earlier today:

2ec10293447ebd2e0b591e832932419f.jpg

a really good option. taylors are one of the truly great houses (we did a tasting of their vintage ports a few years ago back to 1924). and an LBV will give you an idea of vintage ports but one which can be drunk much earlier.

be worth picking up a tawny at some stage as they are very different. the portuguese styles tend to be much more elegant and drier than the aussies which are much sweeter and richer.

• Like 1

Very nice! Let us know how you like it.

Liking quite a bit so far, but obviously have nothing to compare to :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Never heard this before. Have any specific pairings in mind?

White port goes amazingly well with more earthy/bold cigars (Partagas, La Escepcion, and maybe some grungy, dark, and fresh PL's), similar to certain sweeter white wines, such as late harvest rieslings going very well with bold and fresh RA or Monte sticks, and then some more aromatic white wines such as champagne or gewurztraminers [speeling?] going wonderfully with Diplomatico or LGC.

Some thoughts of mine, anyways, and combos that I've come to enjoy over the years.

White port goes amazingly well with more earthy/bold cigars (Partagas, La Escepcion, and maybe some grungy, dark, and fresh PL's), similar to certain sweeter white wines, such as late harvest rieslings going very well with bold and fresh RA or Monte sticks, and then some more aromatic white wines such as champagne or gewurztraminers [speeling?] going wonderfully with Diplomatico or LGC.

Some thoughts of mine, anyways, and combos that I've come to enjoy over the years.

your spelling of 'gewurztraminer' was better than your spelling of 'spelling'.

• Like 1