Deep Blue: Monster great white shark could be the largest ever captured on camera

MIKA27

Deep Blue: Monster great white shark could be the largest ever captured on camera

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=df6d3hzHZZM

It may have been 40 years since 'Jaws' first became the subject of our nightmares, but now… she’s back.

Well, sort of.
New footage has been released of one of the largest great white sharks to have ever been captured on camera – the monstrous, more than 20-foot-long creature known as Deep Blue.
The enormous predator, which calls Mexico’s Guadalupe Island home, was featured last year by the Discovery Network where part of the tagging effort that involved researcher Mauricio Hoyos Padilla can be found.
This week, Hoyos posted new footage of the same shark to Facebook, under the title, “I give you the biggest white shark ever seen in front of the cages in Guadalupe Island… DEEP BLUE!!!”
Hoyos found the 50-second clip this week on his computer, he told GrindTV, although the footage is from around the same time that the Discovery crew was on site, dating back to the fall of 2013.
The presumably pregnant shark, believed to be around 50-years-old, can be seen probing the objects around and attached to the cage, while mostly ignoring the divers in the roof-less coop.
But, as Deep Blue circles the cage, the brave diver reaches out to give her a high-five – or high-fin – before she carries on with her investigation.
Aside from her colossal size, Deep Blue is also recognizable by her many scars.

In the Discovery special, the narrator explains that the large, vertical slashes on shark’s left flank could be due to fighting with other sharks or mating, the Daily Mail reports.

Guadalupe Island is a seasonal getaway for dozens of great white sharks, but as far as anyone knows, there sizes all pale in comparison to Deep Blue.

As Dr. Seuss would say: one fish, two fish, red fish, HUGE fish.

• Like 2

that is one big big fish. insane being out of the cage.

when i was about 20, was on a reef trip - out on the edge of the great barrier reef on the swains, so about 100 miles from shore. i was helping the deckhands clean the fish we'd caught. suddenly we all looked at each other as it seemed that things had gone quiet. which was bizarre as there was nothing to go quiet. too far out for regular sea birds. anyway, we looked over the side and there was a hammerhead swimming below hoovering up the fish frames as we tossed them. the three of us froze.

it was the most massive animal imaginable. certainly nowhere near the girth of this one but it was longer (and i suspect probably would have weighed less as that is one massive beast in girth). we all estimated at least 25 feet. actually we all thought 25 to 30 but i'm giving the bottom of the range. imagine another five to ten feet on that one. could have swallowed the three of us in one gulp. i'll never forget it.

eventually it just drifted off with the most exquisitely languid flick of its tail. wonderful animal (to think someone would kill it just to chop off its fins is beyond comprehension).

always believed that there are some huge creatures in the sea we have yet to encounter including massive sharks. this was one. i'm sure many more.

• Like 1

This is why swimming in the Ocean worries me... There's a lot out there both species known and UNKNOWN that we are yet to discover or encounter.

This is why swimming in the Ocean worries me... There's a lot out there both species known and UNKNOWN that we are yet to discover or encounter.

absolutely.

much rather be out of the ocean pulling things out - they can go back in - than it it and running into that.

• Like 1

absolutely.

much rather be out of the ocean pulling things out - they can go back in - than it it and running into that.

Sitting in a boat pulling things out of the ocean is all well and good, but it's when the beasties are big enough to pull you into the ocean, that's when you start to worry! surprised.gif

Sitting in a boat pulling things out of the ocean is all well and good, but it's when the beasties are big enough to pull you into the ocean, that's when you start to worry! surprised.gif

true fuzz, but think what chance you'd have without the boat!

I've seen quite a few scalloped hammer heads while spearfishing but only one Great Hammerhead. Never forget it. They have a much larger dorsal fin and are much bigger. They have a reputation for being a tad crazy. The one I saw came barrelling up from the depths and tore apart the burley bag connected to a float, headbutted a few other floats and then casually sauntered off. Gets the heart racing that's for sure.

• Like 1

I've seen quite a few scalloped hammer heads while spearfishing but only one Great Hammerhead. Never forget it. They have a much larger dorsal fin and are much bigger. They have a reputation for being a tad crazy. The one I saw came barrelling up from the depths and tore apart the burley bag connected to a float, headbutted a few other floats and then casually sauntered off. Gets the heart racing that's for sure.

bill, to be honest, had not realised there were different species but it makes sense. this thing was huge. thinner than this great white but certainly longer. and it just looked like not a care in the world. nothing was going to bother it.

bill, to be honest, had not realised there were different species but it makes sense. this thing was huge. thinner than this great white but certainly longer. and it just looked like not a care in the world. nothing was going to bother it.

Here's a few photos taken by the guide on my trip to the Coral Sea in 2009. See the really large dorsal. I was told that the Great Hammerheads tend to roam about open ocean and the scalloped tend to hang closer to reef systems in groups. That trip was a real blur. Just so much to take in all at once with the clear water. I did it again the year after and was able to appreciate it more but I didn't happen upon as many big sharks. In 09 I saw hammers, leopard, silvertip, grey whaler and nasty tiger that charged me. Even saw a marlin. I look back now and can't believe it happened. I'm far more cautious now and very protective when I go snorkelling with my missus - to the point of not really wanting to dive with her in case something happened to her. I guess that's just growing up. Nat all that keen to see a Great White. So wont dive certain spots down south during seal pupping season and not too keen on South Australia or South Western Australia either. Great memories though and will keep me loaded with crusty old sea dog stories when I'm older. I'm sure the sharks will have grown to massive proportions by the time I'm in my 60's. peace.gif

post-192-0-55332800-1434151950_thumb.jpg

post-192-0-65604200-1434151968_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Here's a few photos taken by the guide on my trip to the Coral Sea in 2009. See the really large dorsal. I was told that the Great Hammerheads tend to roam about open ocean and the scalloped tend to hang closer to reef systems in groups. That trip was a real blur. Just so much to take in all at once with the clear water. I did it again the year after and was able to appreciate it more but I didn't happen upon as many big sharks. In 09 I saw hammers, leopard, silvertip, grey whaler and nasty tiger that charged me. Even saw a marlin. I look back now and can't believe it happened. I'm far more cautious now and very protective when I go snorkelling with my missus - to the point of not really wanting to dive with her in case something happened to her. I guess that's just growing up. Nat all that keen to see a Great White. So wont dive certain spots down south during seal pupping season and not too keen on South Australia or South Western Australia either. Great memories though and will keep me loaded with crusty old sea dog stories when I'm older. I'm sure the sharks will have grown to massive proportions by the time I'm in my 60's. peace.gif

that top shot is fabulous. you can see that being a huge fish one day. the one i saw was right on the edge if the reef so i suspect spent most of its time in the deep.

tigers - a mate of mine had an ex girlfriend taken by a tiger - you might remember the horror of the survivors from a wreck in the big esky getting slowly picked off. she was apparently one of those. nasty sharks.

years ago, three of us were fly fishing a creek on the west side of fraser, wandered up and down for several hours, neck deep. talking to a guide later, he was telling me that no one should ever go in the water over there above knee height. i asked if because of the rays - there are plenty (and an amazing place to watch whales from the shore). sort of, he said. the big tigers come up the creeks chasing them. i nearly lost it on the spot.

• Like 1

Yeah, Tigers are nasty pieces of work. They feign disinterest then charge. The give-away is if their fin is out of the water and swimming back and forth in front of you or they are circling down deep. I hit it really hard in the snout with the tip of my big tuna gun but it didn't budge. It tried to get around the other side of me but I whacked it again and again. Luckily I yelled out earlier that I'd seen it and the tender boat came up and scared it off. Not until later did I realise that their snouts are wide and tough and have teeth shaped for tearing apart turtle shells. Should of smacked it more to the side of the snout near its eye. Got to admit I was calm to begin with because I knew what it was up to and I thought like with a lot of pesky small whaler sharks a quick whack in the snout usually sends them packing. But when it didn't move and opened its jaws and shook its head at me my heart went through the top of my head nearly. And it knew it too. Strangely enough, even though I was operating on high adrenalin and still a little in shock I reckon, the guide who is very experienced suggested we get it back to the main boat with some bait. Sure enough, he jumped in with nothing but a camera as the tiger chomped up fish carcasses. I got in with him and swam with it. Tried to put it out of my mind but didn't really sleep that night and still very wary and spooked by Tiger sharks.