the brazilian banana spider is back

Mother finds nest of ‘world’s deadliest’ spider — whose bite can give man four-hour erection

Hidden danger ... The dangerous spiders were spotted on a banana that was bought from a local shop. Picture: Snapper.

A MUM of two fears she could have a family of the world’s deadliest spider living in her home after she found a suspected nest on her banana.

Michaela Egan, 24, found a suspicious white spider cocoon on the last fruit in the bunch she had bought four days earlier.

She posted a picture of it on Facebook and within minutes had messages suggesting it was a Brazilian wandering spider.

The deadly spiders’ venom can kill a human in just two hours and can also give male victims a painful four-hour erection.

Close call ... William Osborne and Michaela Egan with their two children George one and Ella Mae five. Picture: Snapper

Its venom is currently being studied for use in erectile dysfunction treatments.

Full-time mum Michaela immediately put the banana in a sealed bag and took it back to the Tesco Extra in Rainham, Kent, where she bought it from.

She was offered a refund and Tesco said it is investigating and has sent the banana off for tests.

But the mum-of-two is terrified baby spiders have hatched and are living in the home in Rainham she shares with husband William Osborne, 26, a postman.

Michaela, mum to George, one, and Ella-Mae, five, said: “I just couldn’t believe it when I saw it. I knew It was some sort of spider because of the webbing.

“I started to get really freaked out when everyone was posting pictures and stories of the Brazilian wandering spider.

“It just looked like a brown bulge under the webbing but everyone was saying that’s what it was.

“It’s really scary to think that I could have just handed it to my daughter or put it in her packed lunch.

Deadly bite ... The spider can cause long lasting erections in men and even death. Picture: Snapper

“The banana had been there for four days so anything could have happened, I’m really scared they’re in the house.”

According to the Guinness World Records Brazilian wandering spiders, particularly the Brazilian huntsman Phoneutria fera, are the most venomous arachnid on the planet.

They are known to build their webbed nests on bananas.

The spiders got their name because they are known to wander the jungle floor at night, rather than residing in a lair or maintaining a web.

During the day they hide inside termite mounds, under fallen logs and rocks, and in banana plants.

Although the Brazilian wandering spider venom is the most toxic, an effective antivenom is available and few fatalities occur.

Jamie Robins, a conservation officer for wildlife charity Buglife, said Brazilian wandering spider nests are normally the size of half a snooker ball.

Tesco said: “We set ourselves the highest standards for the quality of our produce.

“Our customer service team are investigating this inquiry and will be in touch with Ms Egan as soon as possible.”

HERE YOU GO KEN: Mother finds nest of ‘world’s deadliest’ spider — whose bite can give man four-hour erection

838576-e6c68f58-1b90-11e5-9110-19d2cf6b0

A MUM of two fears she could have a family of the world’s deadliest spider living in her home after she found a suspected nest on her banana.
Michaela Egan, 24, found a suspicious white spider cocoon on the last fruit in the bunch she had bought four days earlier.
She posted a picture of it on Facebook and within minutes had messages suggesting it was a Brazilian wandering spider.
The deadly spiders’ venom can kill a human in just two hours and can also give male victims a painful four-hour erection.
838604-e5f51874-1b90-11e5-9110-19d2cf6b0
Its venom is currently being studied for use in erectile dysfunction treatments.
Full-time mum Michaela immediately put the banana in a sealed bag and took it back to the Tesco Extra in Rainham, Kent, where she bought it from.
She was offered a refund and Tesco said it is investigating and has sent the banana off for tests.
But the mum-of-two is terrified baby spiders have hatched and are living in the home in Rainham she shares with husband William Osborne, 26, a postman.
Michaela, mum to George, one, and Ella-Mae, five, said: “I just couldn’t believe it when I saw it. I knew It was some sort of spider because of the webbing.
“I started to get really freaked out when everyone was posting pictures and stories of the Brazilian wandering spider.
“It just looked like a brown bulge under the webbing but everyone was saying that’s what it was.
“It’s really scary to think that I could have just handed it to my daughter or put it in her packed lunch.
838632-e6c68f58-1b90-11e5-9110-19d2cf6b0
“The banana had been there for four days so anything could have happened, I’m really scared they’re in the house.”
According to the Guinness World Records Brazilian wandering spiders, particularly the Brazilian huntsman Phoneutria fera, are the most venomous arachnid on the planet.
They are known to build their webbed nests on bananas.
The spiders got their name because they are known to wander the jungle floor at night, rather than residing in a lair or maintaining a web.
During the day they hide inside termite mounds, under fallen logs and rocks, and in banana plants.
Although the Brazilian wandering spider venom is the most toxic, an effective antivenom is available and few fatalities occur.
Jamie Robins, a conservation officer for wildlife charity Buglife, said Brazilian wandering spider nests are normally the size of half a snooker ball.
Tesco said: “We set ourselves the highest standards for the quality of our produce.
“Our customer service team are investigating this inquiry and will be in touch with Ms Egan as soon as possible.”

There seems to be quite a few cases like this in the UK with shopping chains like Aldi, Tesco, etc.....

Beautiful creatures but not to be messed with. Would definitely have house fumigated!!

It kills you in 2 hours but you get a 4 hour erection? I guess only the first two hours are the painful ones...

• Like 1

Never saw this spider. Maybe not from the part of Brazil where I live. Or maybe just the name.

In my city there is the brown spider. Not so dangerous.

They're more commonly known as "Armadeiras" in Portuguese (to arm = "armar"). The name comes from their stance before attacking, when they raise their front legs.

aranha+armadeira.jpg

thanks for that. my tech ability shines through yet again.

Nice to know we don't have this problem in Australia. biggrin.png

Thats what I was referring to Mr Nigma (As in you speak riddles Fuzz ;) )