C&C for Aging

JackFNQ

I bought stacks of Partagas Coronas Especiales on-sale about 5-years ago. Can't say aging was my primary goal, just a nice bonus from going deep. But the box I popped last month shows that they certainly benefited from it. They also really improve from dry-boxing too, which I wasn't doing early on with them. So, I can't say how much improvement is from aging and how much is from smoking at a lower RH.

Nevertheless, they are pretty strong, which common wisdom says is good for aging. Therefore, I would expect similar results for Partagas Aristocrats, Habaneros and Supers.

Thanks for the input everyone.

I think most are not commenting to avoid ridicule of the cheaper cheapskatetail./

Interested to know if the bitterness of the JLP Caz as per vid review settles over time.

I think most are not commenting to avoid ridicule of the cheaper cheapskatetail./

Interested to know if the bitterness of the JLP Caz as per vid review settles over time.

Anybody ridiculing another for smoking more affordable cigars is an idiot. I think most people age the bigger, fatter, cigars while smoking the c+c in the meantime. I have handfuls of different JLP s that I very rarely smoke. They were purchased as mooch cigars, but I can't give my friends those while I smoke higher quality. Not right. So I'd say I have about 25-30 random JLPs with well over 5 or 6 years on them. From the rare one I smoke, they do not improve. I'd much rather spend an extra dollar or two and pick a handmade, full leaf cigar.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Anybody ridiculing another for smoking more affordable cigars is an idiot. I think most people age the bigger, fatter, cigars while smoking the c+c in the meantime. I have handfuls of different JLP s that I very rarely smoke. They were purchased as mooch cigars, but I can't give my friends those while I smoke higher quality. Not right. So I'd say I have about 25-30 random JLPs with well over 5 or 6 years on them. From the rare one I smoke, they do not improve. I'd much rather spend an extra dollar or two and pick a handmade, full leaf cigar.

Agreed!

Have a fair amount of early 2000s JLP Brevas and they are super flavorful, strong but quite smooth. They were also super cheap.

Hi Jack, i smoke c and c's a lot (while ageing more expensive ones as someone stated above) and if any of them are good I buy more.

I got 5 JLP cazzies thrown in by a vendor and had a terrible time of it. One had a 3" piece of string in it and the two that a mate and I lit up tasted awful.

It's not that I don't think they're worth ageing its that I don't think they're worth smoking.

Disclaimer: taste is subjective.

• Like 1

So have I got this right. Short filler is only worth aging if the leaf is of an acceptable quality to begin with. Ie PLP, Favoritos, ... ???

Nicely put Onelove,

It's not that I don't think they're worth ageing its that I don't think they're worth smoking.

Finecigar suggested elsewhere for Favoritos: ''2-3 years smooths them out however the flavors seem to diminish. They taste best in 6 mo to a year IMO. I'm sure you could age them 5+ years but not really necessary.''

So far the JLP cazzies are just not for me. I've only smoked c&c's with 1-3 years on them so far and don't have any experience with long term ageing of short fill.

I don't know about quality (hence the cheap in c&c) but I wouldn't age anything that tasted that bad.

Disclaimer: again, taste is subjective.

You or anybody else might like JLP cazzies more than PLP's or RGPE's etc., they're probably all the same quality, the taste is all that counts for me when I smoke a cigar.

That's my only real advice: smoke and age cigars that you like.?

• 2 weeks later...

For shits and giggles I tacked some cheapies to my most recent order.

Box each of ryj puritos, monte puritos, jlp cremas, rgpe and plp. Got lucky with the plp as they already have two years on them and the jlp's have eighteen months.

You got me curious to try this Jack so thank you.

I tacked some cheapies to my most recent order.

Think of it as bringing down the average unit cost, Lusi's have never been so cheap fuel.gif

I guess I'll be able to afford some RAG's by the end of the year if I can keep these averages going...idea.gif

• 2 months later...

To follow up, I just had a fantastic JLP Crema. Beat many that cost more. First few puffs were all citrus (Orange) which proceeded to fade in and out of backbone flavours of an almond nougat. Absolutely outstanding. Early 14 box.

• 3 years later...

I haven't had them long enough but at the price points, I'm  not worried.  Went "deep" on few of the Cuban Panatelas.  PL, RG and Quinteros.  They're all 2015 box codes. Great for quick smokes or to hand out to newbs wanting to try Cubans.