Favorite Steak House

JohnnyCigar

When asked this question my standard answer is my house.  I do like Simon and Seaforts in Anchorage, they have a really good ribeye and a great view.  Probably the best food I've ever eaten at a restaurant anywhere was at a little hole in the wall place in Homer called Cups Cafe. 

• 7 months later...
  • Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My House ! Get a custom cut ribeye 1 1/2 " to 2" thick use my special seasoning and call it a day no steak house can touch it !

For many years Peter Luger was by far the only place to get a great steak. And it still is IMHO. Still #1 Steakhouse in the U.S. Wolfgangs, started by the former long time headwaiter is second plac

Peter Lugers for sure. And theres a new Davidoff Cigar lounge on the next block now. Mark Joseph Steakhouse is a close second.

Again, I'm with the my house call.

Having a Kamado with a temperature control system was an absolute game changer for us. We buy bigger, thick cut steaks and reverse sear them. Bring them up to about 40c internal temp with the grill at 110c, then pull them off get the grill ripping before putting them back on to sear and bring up to 54c-ish. The Thermapen Pro instant read thermometers are a must, I was dubious at first but it takes all of the guess work out of the game.

There are all manner of amazing meat suppliers online in the UK, steaks from all over the world. You can spend as much or as little as you like but there is some really stunning choice. The technique is fairly simple to nail down so it really becomes a choice of the meat.

Favourite steaks are are probably the Black Onyx Ribeyes (Australian grain fed I believe), the wife was pretty pissed when I spent £60 on two 500g steaks but they were utterly stunning and worth every penny. You'd pay 2-3x that in a restaurant and you can never guarantee that they nail it.

Some of the steaks are so good that you really don't need a sauce, I'm done with French sauces to accompany, they really weigh down a meal in my opinion. Give me an obscenely rich and fatty ribeye and you just can't beat a Chimmichurri, the tang/heat of the vinegary sauce compliments the meat so much better than half a stick of butter or half pint of cream.

Other winners have been -

Umi Uruguayan grain finished ribeye - John Davidsons

Pretty much any aged Galician cut has knocked our socks off too.

I'm still yet to try the retired dairy cow offerings but I've heard great things and the fat looks sensational in the photos I've seen.