Woodwork! anyone else into it !?

I love woodworking, I had woodshop two years in middle school and 3 years in high school. I'm planning on making a custom humidor from oak or mohagany and high grade kiln dried spanish cedar. I also need to make a new aquarium stand soon.

• Like 1

Not into it, but that last photo's kinda turning me on. love.gifrotfl.gif

Edited to ask, it IS female, right?

well spotted and yes female indeed lol

I use Tung Oil (low gloss) religiously to seal my wood projects.......Gives/Keeps the Natural lookok.gif

• Like 1

I've recently really enjoyed restoring old wooden stocks on rifles.. Can't say I've made anything myself though.. not since college.. Have been tempted.. Got a few peices laid aside for it.. Just too many hobbies already.

• Like 1

When I was younger there was nothing I enjoyed more than working the wood.

I find that as I grow older I just don't have the same interest or stamina for it.

It's a great pity really.

• Like 1

When I was younger there was nothing I enjoyed more than working the wood.

I find that as I grow older I just don't have the same interest or stamina for it.

It's a great pity really.

Or fingers... tongue.png

• Like 1

Well done Paul! :ok:

Make me one of these:

Esky-Barrel.jpg

That looks great and pretty simple to make Mika!

Will look into making something similar from the remaining half Barrel I have left.I'll keep you mind while checking with Yarra Valley wineries if they give away old unwanted barrels :ok:

• Like 1

Say what? They give old barrels away? How do you get in on that? Garden places etc always selling them for 140. I'd like to get some small ones and some bigger ones to play with booze and for woodwork someday.. Always thought If I could pick up a couple 20 or 40 ltr barrels I might be tempted to make my own whiskey or rum.

• Like 1

wishful thinking from my side by the looks of it Andrew! Saw a few on Gumtree and that's how I got mine. But yup, as you mention, they only seem to sell them for at least 200 from a bit of research! Will still head out to some wineries and see if I can get some good deals though!

Aging whiskey or rum at home would be a great project indeed

Yeah I've had the idea on the backburner awhile.. Invest in an old style 20ltr+ copper spirit still and make some medium batch whiskey and actually age it for 12+ in a barrel, maybe bottle some at 3-5yrs like commercial whiskey.. Only issue is barrels are bloody expensive and the stils are around 1500+ too.. Sticking to beer and preserving meats awhile longer I think.. :P Been tempted to do some wine too.. Again.. Barrels.. Even got some vines growing in the back nowadays... But barrels... One day. I have more hobbies and ideas than sense.

• Like 1

Nice projects all, really liking that bedroom set. I got into woodworking about 6 years ago after my grandfather passed and I inherited his Shopsmith. I promptly stripped/sanded/painted all the metal surfaces and repaired or replaced the mechanical parts within the headstock. Did a few projects and really enjoyed it for about two years. Then the wife and I got a new home, car, and my son. Love to get back into it, but it's going to be a few more years before I have the time and ability to reclaim my shop in the garage.

• Like 1

I've been an avid woodworker for the last 30 years. Have spent past few months building furniture for my 24 year old sons first apartment.

A couple of pics:

Awesome work! hope in time I'll be able to build something of this quality.

Nice projects all, really liking that bedroom set. I got into woodworking about 6 years ago after my grandfather passed and I inherited his Shopsmith. I promptly stripped/sanded/painted all the metal surfaces and repaired or replaced the mechanical parts within the headstock. Did a few projects and really enjoyed it for about two years. Then the wife and I got a new home, car, and my son. Love to get back into it, but it's going to be a few more years before I have the time and ability to reclaim my shop in the garage.

I was lucky. We bought a house with an unfinished basement. My first project as a homeowner was to wall off part of it dedicate it to my workshop. About 800 square feet or so. Keeps the dust out of the rest of the house and the best part is my wife pretty much refuses to go into it. My shop mancave. Installed a good exhaust vent at one end that will handle the occasional cigar.

• Like 2

Yeah I've had the idea on the backburner awhile.. Invest in an old style 20ltr+ copper spirit still and make some medium batch whiskey and actually age it for 12+ in a barrel, maybe bottle some at 3-5yrs like commercial whiskey.. Only issue is barrels are bloody expensive and the stils are around 1500+ too.. Sticking to beer and preserving meats awhile longer I think.. :P Been tempted to do some wine too.. Again.. Barrels.. Even got some vines growing in the back nowadays... But barrels... One day. I have more hobbies and ideas than sense.

I've been plying my hand at it since Jan. Started with some simple sugar washes and quickly delved into all-grain. It's pretty easy to convert a keg or a beer boiler urn into a pot-still. I've been ageing some experimental batches to see how we go but my white dog isn't all that bad and my gin is even better!

Lotsa fun.

• Like 2

I've been plying my hand at it since Jan. Started with some simple sugar washes and quickly delved into all-grain. It's pretty easy to convert a keg or a beer boiler urn into a pot-still. I've been ageing some experimental batches to see how we go but my white dog isn't all that bad and my gin is even better!

Lotsa fun.

Would be great if you can post some threads about it !

I've been doing beer for years now.. And have had a hand in a friends spirits.. He just uses sugar washes in plastic barrels, Had mates doing it for a decade but I've only been involved 12 months.. Thing is if I really take it on I'd like to do it "properly" and get the right equipment etc.. I've got a habbit of being a bit of a perfectionist.. I remember an old school friend used to distill wine in his shed using an old stove top kettle and garden hose etc... Steel wool and a stainless jug.. Blew a kettle up once.. As he grew older and matured so did his system... Ran into him years later once leaving the market with a sack of potatos on each shoulder, Asked him what on earth he was doing with so many potatoes "Vodka!" That said.. No reason I couldn't start my own process and begin with Vodka and Gin while I explored barrels further for Rum and Whiskey... I'd really love an old 30ltr Port Solera barrel to age a whiskey in...

Sorry my mind is getting away from me again :P

Anyhow, If you make a thread duxnutz let me know, I'd love to compare what your doing to what I've seen and get some knowledge behind gin.

I've got another friend who made a very cool home stil actually.. I'll try get pictures of it at some stage.. Professional little set up, I think a 10ltr gig..

• Like 1

Nice stuff I really like the repurposing of old things like wine barrels and such.

I love woodworking but, oh to get the time to do my own projects. Building a simple outdoor table and chairs set and a honey/farmstand for a lady right now. And a pole barn and milkhouse for a young couple getting into organic farming. Getting geared up for a basement reno for another lady.

Everything I want to do for myself. Actually all I want is a shaving horse and a big ass workbench for using my handtools. And about a dozen small garden boxes for next years container garden I plan on putting on the deck. Oh yah and a greenhouse and a few screendoors, and a bike shop and carport and so on and so on.