Woodwork! anyone else into it !?

I have been thinking for a while now about getting into woodwork but have no idea how or where to start.

What would be your suggestions for someone in my position?

Buy a few books on easy woodworking projects, get a few good name used tools. Just the basics though. Like anything else you will get hooked and break the bank on all the latest stuff you will never use. Get good and comfy with the basics first all the rest is fluff. A circular saw, a jig saw, a drill, a combination square, a hammer, I like having handsaws rip and crosscut, and chisels ( hard to come by good affordable used ones but Lee Valley sells a real nice set from Narex), a block plane I like a low angle. That should let you build a modest set of shelves or garden furniture, or a summer cottage.. Remember buy good brand names new or used. Cheap tools are well, cheap tools, and cheap tools make unhappy woodworkers who loose interest fast.

• Like 1

I'm a newbie. I'm working from home these days and I go stir crazy on weekends so I spend all of it in the garage working. No real wood working projects except I built a work bench. Current project isn't wood at all but stripping and grinding then repainting a metal warehouse receiving desk to repurpose into a standing desk.

I had a go at traditional chip carving and shortly after I got married I made this.

post-4471-0-58662900-1437278622_thumb.jp

I still look at it and for some reason it reminds me of my younger days.

• Like 1

+1 to Leftimatic's advice above in regards to tools! Only buy good tools. Nothing worse than a tool dying on you in the middle of a job.

@Warren, that is an awesome peice of work.

I have been thinking for a while now about getting into woodwork but have no idea how or where to start.

What would be your suggestions for someone in my position?

I started by subscribing to a lot of woodworking magazines. Start with shop projects. A workbench, tool cabinet or chest. Cabinets for power tools.

My first big project was a maple workbench with built in vises and sliding dog assembly. My first big tool was a table saw. Easily your biggest and best investment in the hobby. A router and router table add tremendous versatility. Hand tools like planes, cordless drills. You'll figure out based on the needs for any project you want to build.

Also recommend visiting lumberjocks.com for a great woodworking community. You can find me at http://lumberjocks.com/gashley. Happy to offer advice or tips as you get started. It's another great fraternity community like FOH is.

All these designs by everyone look great. I've just started getting into woodworking in the last year or so and have built a few end tables, coffee table, etc.

Couldn't agree more about the need for good tools--they make all the difference. Working on a cigar table now, hope to post pics to this thread when I get a little further along.