If you could start this hobby/passion again....what would you do differently?

I wouldn't spend top dollar, on less than top quality cigars. I would divert the money I spent on Padron and Opus X cigars into a truck load of honest CCs.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Samplers or Box Splits: To this day I still will buy an untasted box just because of someone else's review or it's rarity. But I've found that the box split cigars are the BEST way to go since I don

it's seldom the cigar in the hand. Its often the people you are with. A cigar is but a cigar... brilliant sometimes, good most times, average to poor on occasion. It doesn't matter. if you are fortuna

I would learn to speak spanish.

I am thankful for finding FOH early in my hobby. I have a boatload of expensive NC's, but I quickly found this site and was able to (and still am) learn the ups and downs of the CC world. I have already been burned by sub par grey market CC's. They were authentic, but I had mold issues. Being able to trust a vendor like Rob who inspects everything he sells to ensure quality, you can't ask for anything more from a vendor! Great advice from people willing to share their knowledge so newbies like me get to learn from others mistakes. Thank you all!

Skip the desktop humidor. While they look nice, they're work. Roll with a large airtight Tupperware container at a fraction of the cost or better yet just go buy a cooler. I remember reading about the guys and their coolers, wine fridges or cabinets and saying, "I'm never going have that many cigars...no way!" dunce.gif

Yeah...right!

• Like 2

Apart from starting collecting 10 years ago the only real regret I have is not getting my storage correct from the start. As I got into cigars I bought loads of singles with a plan to try everything cuba had to offer. I kept everthing in a desktop humidor which was too humid for smoking from and cost a lot more than a tupperware box and a couple if bovedas would have. I spent the first few months thinking my cigars were in a sick period and didn't taste right when the reality was that they were just too wet and being stored incorrectly.

MAKE A DAMN LIST:

If you can't afford cigars or can't remember the cigars you want make a LIST! Recall prices when they are posted so you can make a sound decision when they come up again. Write down cigars you want from reviews and videos so you know it when they pop up. Do not be the person researching every cigar on the 24:24 to read reviews and then when you know a certain cigar is a great deal or a rarity you go back and it's already sold out because someone else already knew the info.

MS Excel Spread sheet works great!

I would try more sampler packs, before box purchases. Also remember unless you have thousands of dollars to spend, remember Cuban cigars are not especially better they are differant.

Before buying cuban cigars or any other top shelf cigar, experiment with your palates. I chose cigars by what others liked. Ask yourself what do I like eat what do I like to eat.It doesn't really matter what I like , you may find someone with a simular palate, that's is valuable. Go slow don't pay attention to the hype, and do your homework. Listen to reviews from people that are not retailers, just consumers like you and me. Cuban cigars are very fun but yes there are created equal. Read search the internet and learn as much as possible.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

I have been really pleased with my journey. Don't be afraid to try new things (cigars, storage, lighters, cutters, beverage pairings). If you are like me, making the mistakes will help you figure out likes and dislikes. Mistakes will make your journey and experience unique to you.

read, learn, ask questions and have fun. The cigars taste better when you have the money to smoke them (as opposed to credit). You might not always have the money to smoke them, so stock up when you do.

Research your sources and only buy from trustworthy vendors.

• Like 2

There are a few things that come to mind.

First, skip cheap, and expensive, humidors and go with coolerdors right off the bat.

Next, go with regular production. Most of the Els don't suit my taste and the REs, while OK, aren't worth it to me. There's lots of special stuff out there that I'm sure is great but my experience buying them online has mostly left me wanting.

Don't smoke cigars that I know are too young. Case in point. The other day I broke open a beautiful dark, greasy box of MC#2 from 2013. I knew they were too young but I was showing off. The cigars were OK but are nothing compared to what I know they will be in a few more years.

Buy more Cohiba and lay them down. They get really good with time and they've gotten really expensive.

1) Did more homework; joined communities like this and a couple others of which I am a member and made informed decisions.

2) Purchased a humi like I would a computer, anticipating needs as far out as possible

3) Been more selective in my stick purchases

4) Found a way to get to that ISOM and get my hands on real sticks

I'da prepared myself to make moooore MONEY!!!lookaround.gifrotfl.gif

Fact is, to me, it seemed like 2014 was another banner year for CC, Even the cheap&cheerfuls I've sampled have a certain richness and quality about them. I would love to have 3 or 4 boxes/ cabs of all but maybe one purchase I've made from 2014 stock. So, I'd say discover what you like and stockup when times(when stock is good) are good and you can afford it.

Edited by habanolover

Don't force the cigar into the moment. Choose the cigar for the moment. Be your own man and develop your own tastes because everyone's palate is different. So buy singles or samplers to start. Remember that just because one particular cigar you smoked wasn't to your taste that it doesn't mean that the cigar is going to be not to your taste every time; different years, different rollers, what you drank with it, all make a difference. Don't be dismayed if the cigar you have been saving for that special occasion falls short of expectation. It's all part of the journey. But be open to being pleasantly surprised when you least expect it.

Forcing cigars onto moments early on was a mistake I don't make anymore actually.. Thats a good'en

I wish I wouldn't have taken a hiatus from late 2010 - early 2015. I still have some cigars from 08 and 09 left, but I could have so many more boxes of aged cigars now if I would have kept buying. Instead I have been on a buying spree the last 3 months to try and stock back up.

I've always had big enough humidors. My first humidor was a cabinet. No time to buy singles. Lol. But if I could do it again I would have put down boxes. I always thought for the present not the future. I would get um and smoke um.

I put down a few boxes , usually when the smoked like crap. I would forget about them and a few years later .. Wola magic. Great cigar .

Only started putting down cigars over the last few years. Oh well

Nothing. The mistakes and tribulations of life have made me the man and smoker I am today.

Seems I misunderstood the topic by reading with one eye open. I don't regret any of my mistakes but would never hesitate to help educate another BOTL. All advice given has been class A and wish I had something else give.

For the most part, I think I've done OK and I think I've come to understand what Cuban cigars are and are not, but I guess I'd tell myself to relax and enjoy. On a side note, I can't say I'm truly passionate about cigars, and I've certainly never considered them a hobby. I simply enjoy them.