Asia Pacific Regional 2006/7 Opinion....RA Estupendo V Punch Super Robusto

8/9 years on from the release of the first Asia Pacific Regionals in the Ramon Allones Estupendo and the Punch Super Robusto.

I went back these past few days and smoked both again. To be fair I have smoked them regularly over the years.

i also went back and watched our initial video reviews (which were more out takes then "in" rolleyes.gif ) in order to get a feel if we were on the right track.

Seriously....I can't believe people watch this rubbish cigar.gif

Initial Punch Super Robusto Video Review

Initial Ramon Allones Estupendo Review

So fast forward until now and how have they aged?

Smithy.....looks much the same bar a head of solid grey. Running marathons these days. Aged relatively well. Still single. Still hope.

Ken.........Upon review he peaked early. This was most certainly his heyday. That is like saying Guantanamera has a heyday. Hasn't aged well. Still single. No prospects.

Ayala......Aged exceptionally well. May have peaked now but would back him for a while longer as has legs for the long term. One marriage down. In lifelong relationship. Not shopping.

The Cigars.

Punch Super Robusto

Out of the two PCC regionals released, this has proved to be the one with real legs. The full flavour profile (medium bodied )started opening up at the 5 year mark. Immensely complex comprising leather, cedar, sweet spices (cloves, anise), coffee, cake.

I treasure these cigars as they are some of the best smoking cigars I own. We called it right in the review. 96

Ramon Allones Estupendos

For my tastes I think they have hit their peak. I actually think they were there two years ago. Haven't gone backwards since then but not showing any sign of improvement. Sweet cream, cashew, nougat. Quality toasted tobacco with some surprising blasts of black pepper at different stages. We made not of some construction issues in the video and these have been borne out by many members from around the world. Still an excellent cigar today if the draw is "on". 93

Let us know of your experiences with them over the years and how they are smoking today. Which do you prefer? We all have differing tastes but would you concur that the Ramon Allones Estupendo has hit a peak...or is just resting for another run of evolution? Do you believe the Punch Super Robusto has the legs for another 5 years+

Would love to know your thoughts 2thumbs.gif

• Like 3

okay, the only thing i agree with, is why do people watch this rubbish. so i am commenting without going back and watching - life is too short to watch us back at the time, let alone years later.

but just from the photo, you look like john candy in a bad wig.

in the second photo, smithy looks like a young mr spock.

may i point out, "In lifelong relationship. Not shopping".

i'm sure this was not included to gain brownie points (i'm sure that they are not needed), but how curious that you added "not shopping". wouldn't that just be automatically assumed from the previous statement? why would you feel the need to add it? i'm sure this is just purely semantics and nothing should be read into it. just commenting, not shopping.

as for the RA estupendos, by coincidence, i am working through a box at the moment. about a 1/4 through and pretty much agree with what you have said except i am a bit concerned that with this box, i have gone early. i think they have a long way to go - but only seen them from this one box of late. i gave the last one i had, a week ago, 92. was watching origin so possibly not as focused as i might have been. the cashew and nougat definitely there. no issue at all with the construction in this box. but then i'm not shopping.

• Like 4

......may i point out, "In lifelong relationship. Not shopping".

i'm sure this was not included to gain brownie points (i'm sure that they are not needed), but how curious that you added "not shopping". wouldn't that just be automatically assumed from the previous statement? why would you feel the need to add it? i'm sure this is just purely semantics and nothing should be read into it. just commenting, not shopping. stirring.....

Just edited that for you Ken :P

okay, the only thing i agree with, is why do people watch this rubbish. so i am commenting without going back and watching - life is too short to watch us back at the time, let alone years later.

but just from the photo, you look like john candy in a bad wig.

in the second photo, smithy looks like a young mr spock.

may i point out, "In lifelong relationship. Not shopping".

i'm sure this was not included to gain brownie points (i'm sure that they are not needed), but how curious that you added "not shopping". wouldn't that just be automatically assumed from the previous statement? why would you feel the need to add it? i'm sure this is just purely semantics and nothing should be read into it. just commenting, not shopping.

as for the RA estupendos, by coincidence, i am working through a box at the moment. about a 1/4 through and pretty much agree with what you have said except i am a bit concerned that with this box, i have gone early. i think they have a long way to go - but only seen them from this one box of late. i gave the last one i had, a week ago, 92. was watching origin so possibly not as focused as i might have been. the cashew and nougat definitely there. no issue at all with the construction in this box. but then i'm not shopping.

Pretty sure you could have smoked a twig while origin was on and rate it 92, being a queens lander and all!

Seriously....I can't believe people watch this rubbish cigar.gif

Rob, That is exactly what I thought when I first logged on to FOH. But after searching for cigar reviews, I learned that 2 or 3 drunk guys sitting around smoking gave me more information than some normal bloke typing out notes.

• Like 1

I have a box of both. I agree with the flavor profiles. I prefer the Super Robustos over the Estupendos. The box of Super Robustos I have are some of the best looking/smelling I have in the humidor. I will need to revisit again in terms of legs, but my initial guess having smoked more Estupendos is that they have peaked. If you can get past the construction issues, I believe they are still a very nice smoke. Given the quality and complexity of the Punch I would guess that they still have a few years left on them. But, I will go dig one out and find out smile.png

Punch for me hands down my 50 cab is getting low now ?

What is a ginger-nut?

not sure where how it was used but it either refers to a redhead, can be a bloke or a woman. or it could refer to a specific biscuit called a gingernut. were reasonably popular many years ago. i have no idea if they still are. sort of thing someone might put out if a ladies morning tea,

• Like 1

tried another from my box of the RA Estupendos on the weekend.probably the best yet. lots of that lovely caramel and nutty notes. been interesting reading thoughts on this from others. can't remember if rob selected this box for me but i suspect he might have. it does seem to sit above the general standard (if so, well done rob!). no issue with construction. good flavours but what strikes me especially, and never more so than with the one on the weekend, these are still not ready. or at least, not at peak. there were some real youthful characters here. that does not seem to be common to all of them, from what i read. but so much so that i am putting these aside for another 12 months or more.

Smoked both today and still prefer the Estupendos.. together with the Sir Winston is my favorite JulietaDos.