• 1 month later...
  • Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Padron Sampler...

What budget? I don't need food next month....yes, I wore my 'cigar gang' colors.

Most recent NC purchases were cheapies to smoke through and tide me over to conserve CC's while others were in transit.

Oliva Serie V Corona - Cant't go wrong at $5 a stick, consistently flawless construction, and 2 day delivery. Nice cigar for the price as others have noted, I get leather and wine notes.

Padron Londres Maduro - A bit dissapointed, I had only smoked one of the Padron standard line previously (though I've smoked a lot of '64 and '26's). They were ugly as sin, though they actually smoked just like any other padron. None of the refined smoothness I associate with the higher quality Padron' though. They were fine, but they tasted like a young $4 cigar... There was something pleasant in there, but the harshness overwhelmed it. 

There are certainly some NC's that I like enough to stay in regular rotation, particularly given their price and quality, the Series V makes the list, the londres not so much. I have had a hankering for a good 1926 Maduro though, so may be getting some of those soon.

11 hours ago, OldEasy said:

Most recent NC purchases were cheapies to smoke through and tide me over to conserve CC's while others were in transit.

Oliva Serie V Corona - Cant't go wrong at $5 a stick, consistently flawless construction, and 2 day delivery. Nice cigar for the price as others have noted, I get leather and wine notes.

Padron Londres Maduro - A bit dissapointed, I had only smoked one of the Padron standard line previously (though I've smoked a lot of '64 and '26's). They were ugly as sin, though they actually smoked just like any other padron. None of the refined smoothness I associate with the higher quality Padron' though. They were fine, but they tasted like a young $4 cigar... There was something pleasant in there, but the harshness overwhelmed it. 

There are certainly some NC's that I like enough to stay in regular rotation, particularly given their price and quality, the Series V makes the list, the londres not so much. I have had a hankering for a good 1926 Maduro though, so may be getting some of those soon.

Put the londres in the bottom of your humi and forget about them for at least a couple of years. They morph into great smokes IMO around the 4th year. Even better at 5+. Much of the same tobacco is used in the 1964s. Your patience will be rewarded.  For instant gratification you will have to go get those 1926 or 64s now.

• Thanks 1

On 12/12/2018 at 7:18 PM, blakeLA said:

This pic is a little bit of a cheat as I just did some humidor reorganizing, so not all one purchase...but 2015 and 2016 My Father Limited Editions, some LFD Andalusian Bulls, and a box of Opus X BBMF.

IMG_8608.jpg.4a3ca3855c36bedadf1f164ecfc9c6a3.jpg

Andalusian Bull's are becoming very hard to find.

2 hours ago, Richard said:

Andalusian Bull's are becoming very hard to find.

Yeah annoyingly so.  I went through a couple boxes when they first came out and then CA made them cigar of the year that year and they dried up.  I found this one at a local shop in L.A..  If I see a box it's hard not to get it.  They also seem like they'll age well so I'll see how this one does after a couple years if I can manage it.

On 12/12/2018 at 3:33 PM, dangolf18 said:

Picked up some Davidoff Year of the Pig

Curious to know how those are.  I liked the Year of the Rooster but there was one other Chinese New Year one I wasn't wild about.  Have you smoked any?

13 minutes ago, blakeLA said:

Yeah annoyingly so.  I went through a couple boxes when they first came out and then CA made them cigar of the year that year and they dried up.  I found this one at a local shop in L.A..  If I see a box it's hard not to get it.  They also seem like they'll age well so I'll see how this one does after a couple years if I can manage it.

I have 1 1/2 boxes left and refuse to smoke anymore until I can find more. LFD La Nox is also becoming hard to find.

15 minutes ago, Richard said:

I have 1 1/2 boxes left and refuse to smoke anymore until I can find more. LFD La Nox is also becoming hard to find.

Went through a box of La Nox too, but I'd put them a notch down for my taste preferences.  I was also impressed with La Volcada.  Seems like they will do well with some age.  The LFD special lines all seem to really settle after a couple years.  They are super high on my NC list.

10 hours ago, Burningman said:

Put the londres in the bottom of your humi and forget about them for at least a couple of years. They morph into great smokes IMO around the 4th year. Even better at 5+. Much of the same tobacco is used in the 1964s. Your patience will be rewarded.  For instant gratification you will have to go get those 1926 or 64s now.

Curious! Thanks for the information and suggestion, given that much of my displeasure with the londres was harshness overwhelming flavor, I had casually wondered if they might be worth ageing. Though I don't normally associate NC's with requiring age, I suppose that the Padrons I do like are actually rolled with aged tobacco, so that makes a lot of sense. I will have to give some a try, thank you! Only downside will be how ugly those wrappers are compared to the '64s.

10 hours ago, blakeLA said:

Went through a box of La Nox too, but I'd put them a notch down for my taste preferences.  I was also impressed with La Volcada.  Seems like they will do well with some age.  The LFD special lines all seem to really settle after a couple years.  They are super high on my NC list.

I've been searching for the LFD Volcada's with no luck. LFD special lines are definitely a nice lineup

NC purchases are becoming rare for me, but I have some Warped La Hacienda on the way from a box split.  Been a while since I smoked one but I remember thinking that these are NC that taste *kinda* like a CC, and I want to see if that's still true since I smoke mostly CC now.

Also have some 4x38 Oliva G cigarillos on the way - definitely not fancy smokes, but short smokes work best for me and 50 sticks for 60 bucks is a no-brainer 

• Like 1

I've made the switch to 100% cuban.  Mostly due to the wife buying herself a LV purse for her 40th.  I consider this a habanos freeforall for the forseeable future.  Last nc purchase was a box of tatuaje 10th anniversary bon chasseur.  Adios nc's!