What's your latest NC purchase?

3 hours ago, Winchester21 said:

I looked around at my local NC vendor and damn the prices are ridiculous. I have been smoking cigars for just shy of 20 yrs and I loved opus x and Padron 1964 for several years. When I first started smoking CCs they were more expensive than NCs. Now, just the opposite. It's nothing to pay 15.00 for a decent Padron 1926 or a Pepin Garcia selection. For that kind of money I can smoke Montes and Cohibas all day long. I have gotten to the point where 99.% of my cigars are Cuban. I am hopelessly addicted to the Cohiba/Monte taste profile and I just can't get excited about a 16.00 Padron -1926 #6 or a 30.00 family reserve. I do buy a box of Fuente sharks at Christmas each year and I hand them out to my buddies more out of tradition than anything else. All I can say is Thank God for FOH

I agree. My cigar-smoking buddies always ask me how I can afford to smoke Cubans, and I always explain that it’s actually cheaper for us in the state because of the whole tax thing.

I still do like certain non-CCs though. I’ll always have a spot in the humidor for some Padrón, Illusione, and Tatuaje offerings. There is something to the Nicaraguan profile that I don’t get in CCs. Of course I generally prefer the CC profile. But sometimes I’m in that mood for that Nicaragauan zing.

It’s also nice sometimes to pick up a cigar like a Padrón knowing that I’ll have no draw or burn issues whatsoever. And the non-CC market can be fun, with so many new blends coming out all the time.  

That said, over 90% of my cigar budget goes to CCs these days. They just reach a level of class that most non-CCs can’t touch. 

• Like 4

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Padron Sampler...

What budget? I don't need food next month....yes, I wore my 'cigar gang' colors.

28 minutes ago, Realmikemeadows said:

I have a few boxes of these and the Personal reserve and like you I'm gonna wait. Fuentes don't show their true colors for 3-5 years. However the new Divine inspirations are PHENOMENAL right off the truck.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

THis is interesting considering they already have 3 years on them.  Im debating between picking up a box of the Divine Inspirations or the Don Carlos Personal Reserve

16 hours ago, mrmessy said:

Tell me what you thought. I had one last month and was disappointed. Tasted harsh. Going to wait and try another in a month or so

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

I bought a handful of these a few years ago, smoked them slowly as special occasion cigars. The first few were nice and creamy, but I noticed them losing their flavor as I went along. By the time I got to the last one a few months ago...it was pretty disappointing. Just my experience, but it’s also a pretty universal thing I’m experiencing with nearly all my NC’s...they seem to lose vibrancy and flavor within just a few years. Maybe I’m not sitting on them long enough.

Hi All,

I just picked up a box of Padron 1926 Number 35 Maduro. I typically don't spend that much for NC but it's one of my favorite Padron. For the size that thing burns for a while too. I usually pair it with The Balvenie 17 year double wood. I also grabbed a box of Tatuaje Havana VI Verocu NO. 5's. They are the Noisy Cricket of cigars, especially for the price. All these are my quick go to NC smokes when I can't commit. 

• Like 2

Rain is seriously here. Since I am down to about 2,000 cigars, better stock up on shorter smokes for winter. These boxes and tins just arrived from Cigar Auctioneer:
San Lotano Habano toro - my #1 regular cigar
Tatuaje Series P robusto
CAO MX Dagger
Padron Corticos
Partagas Black Pronto

san_lotano_habano_cigars_new.jpg

Series-P-Short-Robusto.jpg

CI-CM2-DAGMZ-400.jpg

Padron-6-Corticos-Maduro.jpg

CI-PBL-PROM-400.jpg

On October 10, 2017 at 7:52 PM, mrmessy said:

Tell me what you thought. I had one last month and was disappointed. Tasted harsh. Going to wait and try another in a month or so

Blech! I love Fuente Don Carlos but those Eye of the Shark were very disappointing for me. And they had loads of wrapper issues (cracking, splitting and loads of glue smears). I'll stick with the no 3 vitola in the future. Don Carlos Personal Reserve are interesting, but I'll take 2 RASS for the price of 1 DCPR, which makes them a no-sale.

I haven't bought NC in quite a while, so got a fiver each of Oliva Melanio figurados (to try) and Oliva Serie O perfectos, Ashton ESG perfectos and My Father Bijou. The last 3 were all favorites back in the day, so we'll see if they're still swinging, or if I've just been too spoiled by Havanas. There's something about autumn that makes me crave NC. It's the only time of year I'll consider an Opus or Illusione.

Blech! I love Fuente Don Carlos but those Eye of the Shark were very disappointing for me. And they had loads of wrapper issues (cracking, splitting and loads of glue smears). I'll stick with the no 3 vitola in the future. Don Carlos Personal Reserve are interesting, but I'll take 2 RASS for the price of 1 DCPR, which makes them a no-sale.
I haven't bought NC in quite a while, so got a fiver each of Oliva Melanio figurados (to try) and Oliva Serie O perfectos, Ashton ESG perfectos and My Father Bijou. The last 3 were all favorites back in the day, so we'll see if they're still swinging, or if I've just been too spoiled by Havanas. There's something about autumn that makes me crave NC. It's the only time of year I'll consider an Opus or Illusione.
It's a shame. They go for a premium too. Maybe some more time in the humi?

Guest Nekhyludov
1 hour ago, shaffer22 said:

At a Caldwell event at the local B&M. Picked up a few. I’ve never had their cigars. So far I’m enjoying this Long Live the King Lancero. 

Pick up a Last Tsar if you have the chance. Really nice smokes IMO.

On 10/9/2017 at 9:21 PM, shaffer22 said:

Picked up a box of 10 Oliva Serie V Melanio Robusto. I didn’t need them, but Famous Smoke had some kind of pricing error that let me walk away with those ten sticks and an eight-cigar Oliva sampler for a grand total of $45. Couldn’t resist. 

And the Melanio is actually a nice stick. 

I got a box of the same from a different vendor. Not quite as good a deal as yours, but still a damn good deal. I think they're great smokes.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, mkz said:

Matilde Serena Corona

BD92ACA2-E61F-4ADF-BBA0-0AA3AB7DACB6.thumb.jpeg.d60bd85404cfda131f5724a0e821180c.jpeg

How are those? I've had the other Matilde blends and like them quite a bit. I actually was the only bidder on a box of the Renacers until someone swooped in and poached them after I fell asleep on Wednesday.

6 minutes ago, Danimalia said:

How are those? I've had the other Matilde blends and like them quite a bit. I actually was the only bidder on a box of the Renacers until someone swooped in and poached them after I fell asleep on Wednesday.

Haven't tried them yet. Arrived yesterday and need some acclimatization before smoking. 

On 10/13/2017 at 4:35 PM, mrmessy said:

It's a shame. They go for a premium too. Maybe some more time in the humi?

That's all you can do at this point.  They don't seem to be the same blend as the rest of the Don Carlos line, which is already aged a bit before shipping (and also made with well-aged tobacco).  Perhaps these will be more like the Opus or Añejo in that they're lackluster for a couple years, and then blossom into a fine smoke.

• 2 weeks later...
That's all you can do at this point.  They don't seem to be the same blend as the rest of the Don Carlos line, which is already aged a bit before shipping (and also made with well-aged tobacco).  Perhaps these will be more like the Opus or Añejo in that they're lackluster for a couple years, and then blossom into a fine smoke.
I'm hoping so.