What's your latest NC purchase?

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Padron Sampler...

What budget? I don't need food next month....yes, I wore my 'cigar gang' colors.

Just a few quick notes:
These are great looking cigars, and obviously well-rolled. There's a really unusual heft to them in the hand, owing to the flared shape toward the foot. The wrapper is delicate and splits easily, but the solid construction overcomes it.
Right from the start, there's a powerful, heavy coffee bean bean flavor. The aroma is straightforward char and black pepper. The first third is pretty one-dimensional. Full-bodied and a little rough.
The second third really begins to sing. The coffee bean flavor rounds out some bitter cocoa and raw leather notes emerge. There's a sugar sweetness to the finish. The aroma doesn't evolve.
20171126_163738.thumb.jpg.ff4c38981d7b304eef36a35e2dbfc06a.jpg
The final third becomes a little one-dimensional again. The sweetness evolves into a BBQ kind of flavor, and the leather and cocoa disappear. It remains fairly well-balanced, but a little uninspired toward the end. 
All in all, I find that it has elements of the Caldwell Last Tsar (leather, cocoa) and Viaje Friends and Family (heavy BBQ sweetness), without necessarily being better than either of those. I'm glad I tried it, but I won't be hunting down any more. 

I also noticed that these are unusually heavy. In fact, I'm going to weigh one right now...

25g - that's about 4g heavier than the similar in size LGC Glorias (Rodolfo).
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Don Carlos Personal Reserve along with Opus Rising X, BBMF.

• Like 2

My local B&M had a 50% sale on Oliva this weekend.  I picked up a box of Melanio Maduro Robustos that I plan on putting away for a couple of years.  Great cigar, but like so many maduros, the wrapper dominates the flavor when young.  After at least a year, these stick start to open up; going to try and see what a few years does. 

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...

I was back in the States for Thanksgiving and I ordered a box of Alec Bradley Coyol Toro and a five pack of Enclave Toros.

The Enclave it really a beautiful cigar, impeccable construction with a hint of tobacco in pre burn aroma, the Coyol is a typical well constructed cigar, it has a great pre burn aroma, rich tobacco and spice. 

The Coyol had nice white pepper up front, and that was about it, probably chucked it 2/3's in and lit a Partagas Short. Haven't taken the time to burn an Enclave. 

00100dPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20180121161425229_COVER.thumb.jpg.410ca316e643177eb932f4ff7affe372.jpg

• Like 3

On 11/8/2017 at 3:54 PM, wabashcr said:

I don't think they're anything close to being the same blend.  For me the EoTS is more like the usual Don Carlos blend.  The PR seems to use far better tobacco, for my tastes.  I found the EoTS to be a novelty, and the PR to be a truly memorable cigar.  Other than the release dates and the black bands, I don't think they have much in common at all.  But that's just speculation having smoked them both, and not based on anything concrete the Fuentes have said about the two.

On 11/8/2017 at 4:01 PM, havanaclub said:

Just read on halfwheel, the EOTS is a modified blend of the senior blend.
I do too find them to be quite different. And much prefer the personal reserve robusto.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I tried both around the same time, and I found the shark much better.  They both burned and drew well, but the DCPR just didn’t have as much flavor.  Probably just a personal preference thing.

On 11/26/2017 at 3:34 PM, Nekhyludov said:

Just a few quick notes:

These are great looking cigars, and obviously well-rolled. There's a really unusual heft to them in the hand, owing to the flared shape toward the foot. The wrapper is delicate and splits easily, but the solid construction overcomes it.

Right from the start, there's a powerful, heavy coffee bean bean flavor. The aroma is straightforward char and black pepper. The first third is pretty one-dimensional. Full-bodied and a little rough.

The second third really begins to sing. The coffee bean flavor rounds out some bitter cocoa and raw leather notes emerge. There's a sugar sweetness to the finish. The aroma doesn't evolve.

20171126_163738.thumb.jpg.ff4c38981d7b304eef36a35e2dbfc06a.jpg

The final third becomes a little one-dimensional again. The sweetness evolves into a BBQ kind of flavor, and the leather and cocoa disappear. It remains fairly well-balanced, but a little uninspired toward the end. 

All in all, I find that it has elements of the Caldwell Last Tsar (leather, cocoa) and Viaje Friends and Family (heavy BBQ sweetness), without necessarily being better than either of those. I'm glad I tried it, but I won't be hunting down any more. 

I just a box a couple weeks ago, and you're definitely right about these things being heavy. They're like a log of tobacco. 

Guest Nekhyludov

Illusione Singulare Miserere 2015. This box smells phenomenally good - pungent sweet leather and earth.

Can't wait to light one up. 

20180122_164805.thumb.jpg.e32a3d753e9b0b8cd5a4d9ba8ee4e334.jpg

On 11/26/2017 at 2:07 PM, prodigy said:

Staying with some friends in Knoxville Tennessee. Found a gem of a brick and mortar store, with a selection unlike any I've ever seen. Buy 3 get one free, all cigars, this weekend. Haven't tried any of these yet, so I'm pretty excited to say the least. 01061dd429619e3f95590b8d3e7e00c4.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

If that Tatuaje is a standard (ie. non-broadleaf) Reserva J21, that stick is on my personal top 10 (and I don't mean NC top 10). I hope it does for you what it does for me!  :D

• Like 1