land based tuna

Ken Gargett

land based game fishing is getting to be a big thing these days - i suspect i'm a little too old and sedate now but once... you really need the right set up. i've been hit by tuna from the rocks at fraser and never stood a chance. it is a hell of a lot easier from a boat (even with fly gear).

saw this on a fishing website. what a fish to hook from the rocks. the bloke is not saying where but you'd have to guess somewhere down near jervis bay.

Landbased%20yellowfin_DC844820-30EC-11E5

• Like 1

That's absurd. How do you get a tuna that size so close to the shore?!?! I call shenanigans!

rocky headlands definitely attract big fish like this. though that is seriously large.

this gives me the opp - which honestly was not planned when i posted this - to put up a pic of one i got a bit north of brizzy (even rob will have pics of some he has caught!). nowhere near as large (a whopper for me) and a different species i think.

this was from a boat but not far from shore. on fly. we were chasing the schools of tuna and at one stage they were between the boat and the shore but so close that even with my limited casting skills i could have hit the beach. which helps explain why as a kid from these beaches we'd occasionally get broken off by what we thought were sharks.

you can see how close to shore we are.

post-9-0-91960100-1437693137_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Very nice. Pardon the pun, but that large of a tuna being held 1 handed on those large rocks......just seems "fishy"

i don't know the bloke and have no way of knowing if real or not but no reason to doubt it. i think that its nose is on the rocks so all he is doing is holding the tail to keep it balanced. no way could he lift it one handed.

again, don't know the details but i suspect he would have floated a live bait a long way out. there are some massive fish off those southern headlands. i suspect the skill is not so much hooking it but landing it. that gear must be seriously heavy. and the fish would fight like hell. love to know how much line he has on that reel. i suspect probably close to a kilometre.

I would love to tie into one of these! But I would need to be in a boat strapped to the chair!

and i'd want it to be a very big boat.

i suppose, given that we get massive sharks in at water's edge at times, it is no surprise these fish do come close. they'd be chasing food. in this case, i'd guess schools of tailor (your bluefish).

There's something about it that looks suspiciously weird. The fish is almost as big as him and it looks like there is light shining on the face on his right and the opposite of the fish. Hard to say though. If it's legit then hats off!!!

Do you have a link to the site where you found it?

The tuna at the top looks like a yellowfin. Great sashimi from the belly. There is a bit of a tuna run in Australia in the south. It starts down Portland way I think around the start of winter with Southern Bluefin Tuna and other species and heads north to Bermagui and Narooma and then further north I think. I've seen Yellowfin in the Coral Sea. So, not really sure of where this tuna, if it was a Yellowfin, could have been taken. Tuna get taken out of Eden regularly off the rocks around Green Cape. So, I doubt very much that this shot is doctored. The tuna is resting on its nose as Ken said.

There's something about it that looks suspiciously weird. The fish is almost as big as him and it looks like there is light shining on the face on his right and the opposite of the fish. Hard to say though. If it's legit then hats off!!!

Do you have a link to the site where you found it?

no expert but the shadows look fine to me. i've done a lot of rock fishing, nothing of that calibre, and i can see nothing that appears out of place.

i don't. it was on one of the fishing mag sites that send out emails. will see what i can find.

The tuna at the top looks like a yellowfin. Great sashimi from the belly. There is a bit of a tuna run in Australia in the south. It starts down Portland way I think around the start of winter with Southern Bluefin Tuna and other species and heads north to Bermagui and Narooma and then further north I think. I've seen Yellowfin in the Coral Sea. So, not really sure of where this tuna, if it was a Yellowfin, could have been taken. Tuna get taken out of Eden regularly off the rocks around Green Cape. So, I doubt very much that this shot is doctored. The tuna is resting on its nose as Ken said.

bill, i believe it was a yellowfin and my thoughts would be jervis bay, eden, bermagui, as you suggest.

• Like 1

What would you do with a tuna like that?? I mean that's a few thousand dollar fish at least.

I think, but don't quote me, that it is illegal to sell fish in Australia unless you are a registered commercial fishing company/person. A tuna like that would sell for a hell of a lot of money to the Japanese market.