2009 Camacho Diploma Throwback Review

Hi,

I finally took the time to figure out how to post a new topic properly and attach pics...

During the live tasting we discussed NC ageing. I thought I would share a good example for this review: 2009 Camacho Diploma.

I used to love the Camacho Diploma as they never disappointed, especially back in the days (circa 2005, when they still didn't have bands on). Construction was always great, so were the flavors and complexity for a NC. They were expensive (12-14USD back in the days), but I would sometime indulge while in NYC and purchase a couple, even though I could smoke great Cubans I had brought with me and paid 5USD for. So I truly liked them.

I bought my last box in 2010 and thought they were still really good. Somehow I stopped smoking them. So here we are 5 years later, with a nice local stout (lots off espresso and cocoa notes).

post-25071-0-33658400-1438009998_thumb.j

1st third:

A bit disappointing. Metallic/bitter/rancid (whatever you want to call it) taste, loads of charcoal. Full body. And the foot is splitting - 1st time I see this. Can't paste the pic, but this is weird. 23/30

post-25071-0-55656200-1438009999_thumb.j

2nd third:

Improving. Still split in 2 right in the middle. My palate is getting used to the strength I guess; more leather and roasted coffee, almost no more of the metallic taste. Much better. (could it come from the delicious stout?) 26/30

post-25071-0-16979100-1438010000_thumb.j

Last third:

Much better. Still strong notes of leather. some roasted coffee, but also a bit of black cherry. Burning well - finally. Metallic taste is gone. Not as floral as the old Camachos I used to smoke, but really nice - finally what I was looking for. 27/30

post-25071-0-14352900-1438010001_thumb.j

I gave 6/10 for constuction.

I smoked my last Padron Platinum (from 1999 or 2000) last Sunday and oddly enough I got a similar metallic taste... and they were both maduros. Maybe aged maduros just take longer to express their flavours?

Conclusion, I would rate this cigar 82 - because of the disappointing first 2/3 and the construction. The Padron Platinum was maybe an 88. I'll smoke another one shortly to see if this was a one-off.

• Like 2

• 2 years later...

Smoking another Diploma 2 years later: just a great cigar.

It delivered tons of flavours and complexity (espresso, nuts and leather mostly) and was truly a full body NC.

Really interesting cigar. Still have maybe five left and I will make a point to smoke one every year.

• Like 1

Great review. I've never had any of the original Camachos. Only the newer giant banded ones. Within the last few weeks I had one of my last purple banded Diplomas and it was excellent. It maybe had a year or 2 on it from my humidor. I'll smoke any of their stuff any day of the week. Big fan of the Liberty, Ditka's, Connecticut, and Ecuador.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a few Camacho Corojo  from 2001  that I bring out now and then.

Back then they would knock you down, now they are delicious and well attenuated.

This was the first Camacho I remember, and the boxes had a date stamp.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, garbandz said:

I have a few Camacho Corojo  from 2001  that I bring out now and then.

Back then they would knock you down, now they are delicious and well attenuated.

Yeah, mine have lost some thwack, as well. Still smooth and tasty, though.