Throwback Review: 2006 RyJ Tres Petit Corona

A few years ago I started on a quest to discover the old RyJ that you hear the old timers (Sorry Ken) talk so fondly about; the big brash flavours of sweet stewed fruits and sickly dripping herbal syrup. Back in 2008 this flavour profile was (As far as I could tell) no where to be found. There was no brilliant Excibition #4 or Churchill as these were getting no love and the Short Churchill was the only 'premium' RyJ which seemed smokeable but this was of the new RyJ blends.

Eventually I stumbled across a few Tres Petit Corona from 1998 and boy were they amazing. Rich and sweet, densely aromatic and no harsh notes. This was like the 1960's Romeo that I had smoked for my Birthday the year before just in a shorter package. Much hunting followed and I finally managed to find a box in Cyprus, it was 2006 but i figured that the class would show through and boy was I wrong! Ok too harsh, they showed promise but they were still very closed. I stuck them deep in the humidor and only found them again during a check up this Summer. I'm very glad I did as they have bloomed beautifully.

2e1zy2t.jpg

Starting off with a big sweet hit the cigar gives a mouthful of incredibly aromatic smoke, rich perfume but not the bad sort that sometimes plagues us, that dusted aroma that wafts in from roses that have been left too long having just started to dry out in the kitchen; a feint sweetness surrounded by delicate petal scent.

No harshness comes in as the cigar progresses, if anything the sweetness picks up, not a sugar sweetness now but almost a thick oily caramel. The bitter herbal nature of RyJ found in the Celestiales Finos never makes an appearance either, this is pure gooey syrup and rose petal, the latter picking up in density as the ash lengthens.

I'm not sure the size of this cigar makes it possible to divide up into thirds, even if it did the flavours didn't separate cleanly they just became more and more concentrated but always beautifully balanced. The first nub of the year!

Perfect construction

Credo Punch cut

Supermarket creme brule burner

97/100

2vbtrag.jpg

• Like 4