Safest Blind Purchases

Hey folks! Given the current trends in production there are some cigars that just aren't consistent, or even close. Alternatively, there are some cigars, such as the Bolivar Royal Corona, that just seem to be coming up wins again and again. What I'd like to know is what are the safest blind purchases as of late? Let's break it down into a few categories:

• Petite Corona
  • Robusto
  • Pyramid/Torpedo
  • Larger cigar (lonsdale, churchill, double corona, etc.)

Alternatively, feel free to list cigars to avoid buying blind like the plague!

Thanks folks!

I don't feel that Cubans are safe to purchase blind at all. I've lucked out on a couple orders but most orders I've made prior to coming here have been average to mediocre.

To be honest, I've lucked out a few times with blind purchases but for the most part I'd agree with you. Average quality boxes are the norm with a few "crackers" in the mix. I had luck with blind Bolivar Coronas Junior, MC4 and HDM Epicure Deluxe.

Since coming here, nothing has let me down!

to buy:

Hoyo des Dieux

Boli PC

Parti Shorts

El Principe

not to buy :

RASS

Monte 2

Serie D # 4

Diplomatico #2

Upmann #2

• Like 2

There's NO real safe blind purchase if you buy from a vendor who sends you the box at the top of the pile without even opening it.

The exception might be the Bolivar pc, and, oddly enough, the "second tiers" marevas/petit coronas/cremas in the Partagas and Upmann lines (pc esp, Mille Fleur, Majestic, etc.). Never seen a "bad" box.

• Like 2

There's NO real safe blind purchase if you buy from a vendor who sends you the box at the top of the pile without even opening it.

The exception might be the Bolivar pc, and, oddly enough, the "second tiers" marevas/petit coronas/cremas in the Partagas and Upmann lines (pc esp, Mille Fleur, Majestic, etc.). Never seen a "bad" box.

100% agree. Also, I make almost every purchase from FOH because I know I can trust Rob's selections.
  • Like 1

Thanks for your input so far guys! Since finding this site I haven't purchased anything elsewhere aside from singles at my local B&M which I can clearly see for myself. I had bought a box of HDMDC blind and while not bad, when I visually compare them to the ones that show up on 24/24... there's no comparison.

It's still nice to see what people consistently find to be pretty good! Keep em coming!

Also, nice MC2 10 count! Almost jumped on those when they were on 24/24....but alas, was waiting for the BRC.

I have to agree with everyone. I would never buy blind again. You can get lucky. I got a box of Trinidad Fundadores that had about 4 years age on them a few years ago, but why take the chance.

Funny that you mention randomly receiving aged cigars buying blind. Probably my most disappointing outcome buying blind was a box of JLPC's that showed up with 8-years of age on them. I was very excited when I saw the box code, but they weren't very good. In that particular instance I have to assume that's the reason they were still around in someone's inventory after that long.

OK, so here's a question, putting aside the 24:24 which is obviously checked by Rob, would ordering from the *****AS/*****INT sites be considered "buying blind"? Or is that stock also held to PE standards?

OK, so here's a question, putting aside the 24:24 which is obviously checked by Rob, would ordering from the *****AS/*****INT sites be considered "buying blind"? Or is that stock also held to PE standards?

Was wondering the same thing. Maybe a little less blind given the standards/service @ FOH?

Everything is checked.

When in the warehouse I pick stock across the board from Bolivar to Vegas. For 24;24 I put up a selection of the best I have found. The rest is called up as the team needs it for orders.

The purpose of checking is to eliminate the rubbish and put aside what I would be happy to spend my coin on. The team does a final check before it goes out.

• Like 4

I had this discussion with a friend recently and we both concurred that Partagas Shorts would currently be the best blind purchase you can make as they tend to be so consistent in constuction and reliable in burning.

There are no safe bets if you ask me. However, if I had to make a recommendation, I'd say EL and RE cigars are safer bets...just because they are "special" cigars and have a more limited production.

That's why I order from *****INT when I miss out on the 24:24!

Exactly and I don't have to worry about what I will get. Customer service has also been prompt and the best around imo...