Neighbour Back from Cuba

My neighbour just came back from a week in Varadero, with a day trip in Havana. He found what he wanted at the RyJ store. RAG, CoRo, RyJ Churchill and Monte 2's. He came over and cracked open the RAG box to smoke and I reciprocated with the Sellecion De Maestros.

While this is his first ever trip he did have some interesting observations.

First off. I had given him some tips about travelling down. The prime tip being, set aside 25CUC for each of your family members for the way home. Interestingly enough, there was no more lining up to pay 25CUC!? Anyone been recently that can confirm? I can only surmise it was in his vacation package price these days vs Cuba ditching the tax altogether?

Second thing. He noticed that on the way to Varadero, wandering the city on the way to Havana and in Havana he said he did not see one single piece of propaganda with Fidel's face on it. Che and Cinfuegos were everywhere and in many cases he could tell that additional Che images were on some walls or billboard where Fidels may have been. He's never been down before, so I thought that was an interesting observation. Makes you wonder if that's a line item in the negotiations with the US? To wipe his image and then to have him get off the island? :lol:

Yeah I can confirm the departure tax has been rolled into the ticket price now. Just got back two weeks ago myself and our agent confirmed it with both Air Canada and Sunwing. I still saw Che everywhere and I did a overnight drive trip from Cayo Sta Maria Villa Clara to Havana and back when on the way back we drove through Matanzas... Revolution Day just passed and I think Fidel's Bday is coming up on Aug 13...

No more 25 CUC airport departure tax as of May 1-st. I can confirm that as I didn't pay it last June.

BTW : The Cuban airport tax had always been included in the ticket price, it was a ... rip-off for years.

• Like 1

No more 25 CUC airport departure tax as of May 1-st. I can confirm that as I didn't pay it last June.

BTW : The Cuban airport tax had always been included in the ticket price, it was a ... rip-off for years.

You've got to respect Cuban ingenuity!