Earlier this year, Piloto Cigars Inc. filed for an interesting trademark, Damaso.

Piloto Cigars Inc. is better known as Padrón and Dámaso is in reference to an earlier patriarch in the family, Dámaso Padrón, grandfather of José O. Padrón, the companys founder. In 1890, Dámaso left the Canary Islands and would eventually begin growing tobacco in Cuba. Now, his name and face is on a cigar.

For Padrón, its not just a way to honor their heritage, but also a fairly radical Padrón for the relatively traditional company.

Its a milder cigar with a Connecticut-seed wrapper over Nicaraguan fillers. Furthermore, it will be round, as opposed to the box-pressed nature of most of the companys cigars. It will also be placed in cellophane, another unusual trait for Padrón.

Four sizes are planned: No. 8 (5 1/2 x 46), No. 12 (5 x 50), No. 15 (6 x 52) and No. 17 (7 x 54). Pricing has not been finalized.

The cigars will go on sale at the 2015 IPCPR Trade Show & Convention and are regular production items.

Source: http://halfwheel.com/round-connecticut-padron-damaso-coming-to-ipcpr-2015/88333

This piqued my interest because of the Connecticut-seed wrapper, the non box-pressed Padrón shape and the mild to medium-bodied flavour (rather than the normal full-bodied flavour). My question is this...are Padrón preparing the American market for a Padrón (dare I say) 'Cubanesque' cigar in readiness for the anticipated influx of Cuban cigars once the embargo is further eased and/or lifted?

Executive Editor of Cigar Aficionado, David Savona has recently conducted an interview with Padrón President, Jorge Padrón in regards to this release. You can read this interview at the link below...

http://www.cigaraficionado.com/webfeatures/show/id/padron-damaso-qa-with-jorge-padron-18355

Some further information in regards to this release can also be found here: http://cigar-coop.com/2015/06/cigar-news-padron-damaso.html

post-23478-0-46366500-1440890499_thumb.p

• Like 3

This piqued my interest because of the Connecticut-seed wrapper, the non box-pressed Padrón shape and the mild to medium-bodied flavour (rather than the normal full-bodied flavour). My question is this...are Padrón preparing the American market for a Padrón (dare I say) 'Cubanesque' cigar in readiness for the anticipated influx of Cuban cigars once the embargo is further eased and/or lifted?

"Cubanesque" with a Connecticut wrapper? thinking.gifconfused.gif The taste of the Connecticut wrapper is exactly at the opposite of the cuban taste, IME – unless you think Vegueros is the epitome of the cuban flavours…

Good stuff John. Always have Padrons in the humi. I look forward to trying one of these.

As far as prepping the US, I would say no. Padron is very consistent in all aspects of what they do and it sounds like they felt it was time for them to deliver something slightly different. Most NC companies seem to come out with new cigars like every 6 months, but Padrons only once in a while with an anniv serie.

Smitty

• Like 1

Saw a couple of sizes the other day at the B&M. I can't remember exact pricing, but they were around the same price as the 64 Anniversary cigars.

I got a few from a friend in the business, and I was seriously underwhelmed. I have to admit I've probably smoked a pallet or two of Padrons along the way, but over the last few years, I find their blends have gotten inconsistent while their prices are through the roof. Truth is a used to really like 64's and even the x000 series with a year in the cabinet, but no longer. I wanted to like these, just couldn't get there. These sticks are in the $12-15.00 range, and there's some pretty wonderful cigars you can buy for the same price. By all means try one and make up your own mind, but these are not for me.

As they say, one man's opinion.......

Padron is simply trying to appeal to the milder bodied cigar smokers. Their Anniversary line is definitely full bodied and heavy on the Ligero strength wise. Obviously they want more market share and want to have a cigar that is aimed to the folks who like milder cigars.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

Picked up all but the No. 17 last weekend while I was in Charlotte, NC. Smoked the No. 8 yesterday. I had kept it with my Cubans at 65/65 for the past week.

Color me impressed!

Reminded me of an Upmann/Por Larranaga hybrid...toasted tobacco, bready, caramel sweetness, with hints of earth, wood, pepper, chocolate mingled throughout. Medium in strength but full of flavor.

Can't wait to try the other sizes.

I would like to know from those that didn't like it or found it bland, what size did you smoke and how had it been stored (temp/humidity)?

I smoked the Padron Damaso #15 and found it pretty bland. Kept in my humidor for about two months prior to smoking and dry boxed for a day prior. I find the 1,000 series to be more flavorful and continue to enjoy the Family Reserves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am a big fan of most Padron Cigars, I smoked so many of the 4000 maduros that I cant stomach maduros anymore......no.gif

For the price they are asking for these, and Padron's own description I don't see myself ever buying any.

It seems like their description seems to be similar to what most are reporting, milder and not at all reminiscent of their core flavors. I get it from Padron's end, but probably not for me.

There has been a big Connecticut shade wrapper push in the US market over the past two years, with several big players releasing a shade (My Father, Oliva, Undercrown to name a few). I think the industry has run out of ways to sell us the same full-bodied Nicaraguans that have been a staple of the US market for 15 years.

Despite the trend of the last 15 years, shade cigars quietly continued to be big sellers among volume smokers. While a couple of guys in the cigar lounge are discussing the flavor nuances of their full bodied single they bought that was #X on the CA top 25, some guy is at the register buying a whole box of shade. I think the industry is trying to move shade cigars from long-time cash cow to a growth product.

Most of my NC smokes are shade and I'm a fan, but it's not everyones cup of tea - like Fonseca. If you expect the Damaso to be a well made cigar that offers classic Connecticut shade flavors, you will be pleased. If you are expecting the typical Padron experience, you will be disappointed. That said, if I were to spend that much on a shade I think the Davidoff and Diamond Crown offerings are better.

• Like 1

I have not had one as I'm not a Conn fan and agree with understanding that this cigar is exactly that, I would think they would make a complex version of that type of cigar. I have heard good and bad with this stick but it really doesn't interest me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For the record I love Connecticutt tobacco, both shade grown like what Davidoff uses and the sun grown broadleaf in average Topper and Muniemaker machine mades. I don't like the newer Pennsylvania tobacco they've got out now. Oh, nothing really wrong with it - it's good quality; I just don't like it. To me no cigar matched the flavor, power and satisfaction of Padron's 45th Family Anniversary. MMM MMM MMM!!! Good! hungry.gif I've got passing to mild interest in their new Damaso and will see what it's got going on one day.

• Like 1

Picked one up to try recently. Haven't got around to it yet though...

Heaps of Connecticut wrapped cigars around. Many dare I say better and cheaper than a Padron.

• Like 1

Heaps of Connecticut wrapped cigars around. Many dare I say better and cheaper than a Padron.

Yep, especially at their asking price! During the introduction at IPCPR most reviewers were praising the Undercrown Shade as a better CT stick, and, at a 50% discount to the Damaso. I enjoyed the UC Shade, but just can't bring myself to shell out that much money for the Damaso to see if they were right. I had a Villager CT Lancero this weekend which was really enjoyable and for only $7!