Fall/Winter/Holiday brews

ptrthgr8

You can tell it's September already: the various pumpkin beers and Oktoberfest brews have been out for a while and it's only a matter of time before the other winter/holiday beers start making their appearance. So, what are some of y'alls favorite fall/winter/holiday brews?

My number one all time favorite is the Maritime Pacific Jolly Roger Christmas Ale... it's not Christmas without it!

JollyRoger-vi.jpg

For the pumpkiny stuff, I'm also a big fan of the Southern Tier Warlock:

Warlock-vi.jpg

I've recently been enjoying six packs of Alaskan Pumpkin Ale and Leinenkugel's Oktoberfest. Mmm.... pumpkin and Märzen!

What are some others I should be on the lookout for?

Cheers,

~ Greg ~

• Like 1

Great topic, Greg! Not exactly Holiday brew but Bell's Hopslam is a favorite of mine and only available during the Holidays, JL Beers in your neck of the woods will have it on tap!

I've heard a lot of really good things about Hopslam - I've got some friends who really got apeshit over the stuff. I've never been a fan of IPAs in general, though... but I do like Summit's Saga every now and then. Is Hopslam anything like that one? Or is it over the top on the bitter hopishness?

The title in Hopslam says it all. If you're not an IPA guy, that might not be the beer for you to try.

Funny, 8years ago, there was maybe about 4 or 5 pumpkin beers. Today, everyone makes it.

Dogfish makes a good pumpkin. Saranac too, although a touch sweeter than Dogfish.

Love all the Southern Tier brews... it's tough to decide between Warlock and Pumpking. My gf goes crazy for the Creme Brulee as well and it makes a great holiday beer even if it's not tied to the season specifically.

Keep an eye out for Powder Keg from Worthy. It's a potent little sucker, sweet and malty just as winter requires. Not super dark either, which is nice once all the holiday porters and stouts come out.

I also just found the Dragon's Breath dark hefe from Bayern brewery in Montana. Absolutely amazing... might be drinking a lot of it this winter.

The title in Hopslam says it all. If you're not an IPA guy, that might not be the beer for you to try.

Funny, 8years ago, there was maybe about 4 or 5 pumpkin beers. Today, everyone makes it.

Dogfish makes a good pumpkin. Saranac too, although a touch sweeter than Dogfish.

Love all the Southern Tier brews... it's tough to decide between Warlock and Pumpking. My gf goes crazy for the Creme Brulee as well and it makes a great holiday beer even if it's not tied to the season specifically.

Keep an eye out for Powder Keg from Worthy. It's a potent little sucker, sweet and malty just as winter requires. Not super dark either, which is nice once all the holiday porters and stouts come out.

I also just found the Dragon's Breath dark hefe from Bayern brewery in Montana. Absolutely amazing... might be drinking a lot of it this winter.

Added to my list! I'll be on the lookout for them this weekend!

I forgot about the Pumpking. That is indeed another good one.

Thanks, gents.

~ Greg ~

• 4 weeks later...

I do miss Fuller's Old Winter Ale. I used to be able to get it in the states in 1998-2000, but I have not seen it since then. I think the Paulaner distributor in the USA is a bit stingy on what ales they bring over (they bring so few of the Fuller's line over). I loved this ale because you could taste the caramel on top of the bitter taste. I wish you could get it again stateside!

oldwintr.gif