3rd Box Purchase: MAG46 + BPC + ?

yhomas

Hi, I am new to the CC world (just a few CC so far). Based mostly on my reading in this forum, I have ordered one box of Upmann Magnum 46 and one box of Bolivar Petit Coronas. I am interested in what to look for in the third box.

A few factors for consideration:

- I am interested in maximizing value, so the larger sizes are generally out for me--I consider the Magnum 46 on the highest end of my price/cigar range.

- A lot of people mention getting a "bad box", or a box with several bad cigars, so it seems like reliability is one of the most important factors (hence the appeal of the 24:24 sale graded options).

- I am thinking in terms of the 3rd box being a size smaller than PC, but not necessarily set on that.

- Obviously, another important factor is that they need to be good ROTT--with these being my first ones, aging is not really an option.

- I am thinking of trying to get something with a flavor different from the BPC and Mag46.

- I very nearly got a box of San Cristobal El Principe (missed it in the recent 24:24)--so that tells you the direction of my instinct at this point. I like the sound of a sweeter flavor profile.

Previously, I was thinking in terms of one of the cheaper offerings, like Mille Fleurs, but most of these options seem to be not that much cheaper than the higher respected minutos like Shorts, RASCC, HUHC, and BCJ. For me, the prospect of a $4.25 vs. $5.50/cigar isn't really a worthwhile savings if the cheaper cigar is less reliable (or less reliably fantastic). Of course, there is a slippery slope there, as we can do that same logic again to get us from a $5.50 to $7.50--and onward.

Any input would be appreciated.

PLPC have great caramel notes. I guess only issue is they only come in 50 cabs which make it a pretty big purchase.

Otherwise I'd probably recommence Partagad SD 4 even though you wanted something a little smaller I still think it's a good choice. Also available in 10 count boxes so it's not an expensive purchase.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A few factors for consideration:

- I am interested in maximizing value, so the larger sizes are generally out for me--I consider the Magnum 46 on the highest end of my price/cigar range.

- I am thinking of trying to get something with a flavor different from the BPC and Mag46.

- I very nearly got a box of San Cristobal El Principe (missed it in the recent 24:24)--so that tells you the direction of my instinct at this point. I like the sound of a sweeter flavor profile.

Previously, I was thinking in terms of one of the cheaper offerings, like Mille Fleurs, but most of these options seem to be not that much cheaper than the higher respected minutos like Shorts, RASCC, HUHC, and BCJ. For me, the prospect of a $4.25 vs. $5.50/cigar isn't really a worthwhile savings if the cheaper cigar is less reliable (or less reliably fantastic). Of course, there is a slippery slope there, as we can do that same logic again to get us from a $5.50 to $7.50--and onward.

Any input would be appreciated.

You could consider price/smoking time and it will expand your options. Depends on what you value. A box of prominentes could work out to be the same "value" as a box of petit coronas in terms of price/smoking time and then you get more to pick from.

Trust your instincts and remember it's a journey not a race. It may be worthwhile to hit up Rob for a couple of samplers. May be a good value in that you get to try a sampling rather than one box at a time. 25 cigars can either be not enough when great, or way too many if not your cup of tea.

Actually as stated above I would also strongly recommend a sampler/s from Rob. You can get a taste of many sticks and find out exactly what you like. Plus you know you will be getting quality from each cigar in the sampler.

Something smaller than a PC...

Go with the Party Shorts or the SCdlH El Principe...either would be a good choice.

Those are definitely great choices but if you're going that route also consider HU Majestics and RASCC.

• Like 1

Personally half the fun of this hobby is watching cigars evolve with time. Samplers are a great way to go, I won't argue that. However just buying a box and trying them one at a time as they evolve is very rewarding to me. You'll find a lot of talk about consistency in cigars...can a sampler really let you know versus a box? That's up to you to decide.

• Like 1

How similar are Shorts to the Bolivar Petit Corona? The descriptions sound fairly similar. I have a single Short sample to try in a few weeks.

I also like the idea of the Montecarlos, but I am not sure if I will like that thin of a cigar, and getting a single sample of the Montecarlos is not easy! Also, it seems that this one may tend to benefit from age.

Something smaller than a PC...

Go with the Party Shorts or the SCdlH El Principe...either would be a good choice.

Those are definitely great choices but if you're going that route also consider HU Majestics and RASCC.

Monte No.5

PLPC/PL Montecarlos

El Principe

RASCC

Just grab whichever one that comes up first.

Great sugeestions. I can say that I've 'been there' and 'done that'.

I can say that I've 'been there' and 'done that'.

What has been your favorite (and out of which ones that you have tried)?

My concern is that even trying out a sampler with one of each can give misleading results due to inevitable statistical variability. I have seen reviews where someone tries out ~5 different singles one day then tries those same ~5 singles another day, and the very worst cigar on the first day, ends up being the favorite of the bunch on day 2! Factor in temperature and humidity variations--and the fact that some cigars seem to work out better than others at any given temperature/humidity level--and it is fairly hard to make definitive judgments!

I have tried a few singles so far (one BPC, one R&J No. 2 Tube, one HUHC), and the HUHC was my favorite--but too short! The HUHC seemed to have a lot of subtle depth/sophistication/refinement that I haven't experienced yet elsewhere (among my mostly NC experiences, and the two CC singles mentioned above). I think I would like something which gives a similar level of depth and refinement, but with more flavor. But I am suspicious that both the BPC and No2 (which seemed pretty similar to me) may have been a bit to high in humidity. I didn't dry box the BPC (it was ROTT@~65%), and the No2 was fresh out of the tube--next time, I will dry box it first. I was expecting the BPC to be more flavorful, but it seemed pretty mild--and in any case I have a box on the way. In all cases, I am trying to take my own initial experiences with a grain of salt.

You could consider price/smoking time and it will expand your options. Depends on what you value. A box of prominentes could work out to be the same "value" as a box of petit coronas in terms of price/smoking time and then you get more to pick from.

This is a valid point, in that it seems that basically, Cuban cigars seem to be more commonly priced roughly proportionally to the grams of tobacco in the cigar. So in that sense, a PC isn't any cheaper than the larger cigars.

However, I rarely have time for a 1.5 hour smoke--and in many cases, I would have to stop before 1 hour to limit the nicotine dose anyway. So the possibly longer smoke time of the larger sizes isn't necessarily going to work out in my favor, unless I enjoy the 2nd half the next day (which I certainly have done). But all things being equal, for me, having two PC sized cigars is more valuable than one larger cigar which lasts twice as long. (For someone who might smoke two PC sized cigars in a row, this would not be the case--but that is certainly not my situation!)

Moreover, in contrast, generally non Cuban cigars are more commonly not all that much cheaper in the smaller sizes. So the value prospect of small NC cigars is relatively less interesting than the larger NC. Assuming I continue to have a mix of Cuban and non-Cuban cigars into the future, it seems more reasonable that the larger sizes will tend to dominate the Non-Cuban selections, and the smaller sizes will tend to dominate the Cubans. But this is just my newbie perspective at this point!

Imagine the scenario where your total budget for CC was ~$300/year--or ~$5.75 per week. And on average we will get to smoke ~1 CC per week (perhaps supplemented by one cheap NC as well). Where would you allocate your purchases (among only a few choices). Maybe I should have phrased this question without the preface of the BPC and Mag46 being the first of 3 purchases.

PLPC have great caramel notes. I guess only issue is they only come in 50 cabs which make it a pretty big purchase.

Otherwise I'd probably recommence Partagad SD 4 even though you wanted something a little smaller I still think it's a good choice. Also available in 10 count boxes so it's not an expensive purchase.

Thanks. I actually do have a PLPC single that I will try out pretty soon! I am not opposed to something bigger, but it just seems like the best value tends to be in the smaller options.

How similar are Shorts to the Bolivar Petit Corona? The descriptions sound fairly similar. I have a single Short sample to try in a few weeks.

I also like the idea of the Montecarlos, but I am not sure if I will like that thin of a cigar, and getting a single sample of the Montecarlos is not easy! Also, it seems that this one may tend to benefit from age.

To me BPC and shorts are totally different things. I get more "punch" from the shorts than BPC (the latter smoke very smoothly).

Would never buy a box without knowing the cigar. Go for a sampler and enjoy the discovery. Also when starting with CCs your taste and preferences will evolve quickly. My first cuban was Open Regata which I liked a lot, tried Bolivars and disliked. Now I have Bolivar boxes in my cabinet, but would not spend any Euro on Open series.....

• 3 weeks later...

Trust your instincts and remember it's a journey not a race. It may be worthwhile to hit up Rob for a couple of samplers. May be a good value in that you get to try a sampling rather than one box at a time. 25 cigars can either be not enough when great, or way too many if not your cup of tea.

Fabes, you hit it right on the head. I always look at hours of smoking time/enjoyment to dollars. A prominente takes me 3 hours to smoke, so it costs me roughly $4 an hour.

To the OP, those are two great choices for first boxes. My first 3 boxes were Mag 46, Epi 1, and BPC. Mag 46 and Epi 1 are still favorites of mine. Try to pick up 5ers if you can, or get in on box splits with friends if that's an option.

As others have stated I would vote first for a sampler.

However, if you really need to buy yourself a box, I don't think you could go wrong with:

RASCC-Best of the regular production marca and approachable when young (I am sure some will agree and others will not)

Bolivar Coronas Jr. (probably not as highly since you already have the PC)

Either way, welcome to the addiction. Can't wait to see your collection in a year.