Davidoff & Cuba. Together again?

While the americans see it a chance to improve the living conditions of the Cubans, of course snooty.gif

Your typical American is not thinking of Cuban people! Is this a shock?

Case in point, I am not thinking of North Korean people. Each group lives under a flag of Communist lunacy, yet N. Korea does not make cigars!!!

Why should Americans think about Cubans? Well, like it or not, the embargo represents those that wish to improve political conditions in Cuba. There are folks who support it, who are not expatriated Cuban that simply don't want to see others live under this extreme tyranny. Working or not, it is a means to deny funds to the tyrants.

Look, I am not going to open an embargo debate, it has not worked. It is however an effort, like it or not! On the other hand there are countries who do nothing. This says, at least ostensibly, that other countries don't really care about Cuban people either. They are simply happy buying Cuban goods that fatten the coffers of the tyranny state with little left over to for the people themselves. Lets face it... It is not every other country's lot to consternate over the freedom of other nation-states. So how does it feel to know that you fund this tyranny state? Me, I try not to think about it. I support China every time I buy electronic anything... I support the tyranny state as well. I buy Cuban cigars... I too am guilty.

As for the money... There is no money in it for me. There is no money in relations with Cuba for your typical American. As usual this is just another taxpayer funded money laundering operation. This operation consists first of some form of foreign aid, generally earmarked for the common good such as for telecommunications. If we cut to the quick here, this just means that some ex-cabinet member, now lobbyist, is working their way into the US taxpayers pocket. The foreign aid is lobbied for, it is put into a bill, then the lobbyists 'client' gets down there to get their share with some left over for the dictator in charge. It is money laundering, crony capitalism, plain and simple... It is about making money, BUT NOT FOR THE AMERICAN PEOPLE!

Relations with Cuba while the communist state exists will only benefit some politicians, their lobbyist friends and their clients, as well as some thugs that call themselves the Cuban government!

When I see someone going to Cuba, or another banana republic and giving their time and there resources for zero return other than the good feeling that it provides, I will see and celebrate the true philanthropist. This does not mean that you bring some bottles of Advil when you go down to smoke cigars.... It means that you give freely when no cigars are involved!

I would like to see all the world's people free. There is little that I can do about it beyond trying to keep my own country free. As I am having little effect on either front, I will settle for a great cigar from Cuba, rolled by state run slaves... and simply remember them in my prayers!

No matter how convenient to the argument, I am not going to pretend that my buying cigars does the Cuban people any good. Frankly, I actually think the opposite!

Cheers! -Piggy

Your typical American is not thinking of Cuban people! Is this a shock?

Case in point, I am not thinking of North Korean people. Each group lives under a flag of Communist lunacy, yet N. Korea does not make cigars!!!

Why should Americans think about Cubans? Well, like it or not, the embargo represents those that wish to improve political conditions in Cuba. There are folks who support it, who are not expatriated Cuban that simply don't want to see others live under this extreme tyranny. Working or not, it is a means to deny funds to the tyrants.

Look, I am not going to open an embargo debate, it has not worked. It is however an effort, like it or not! On the other hand there are countries who do nothing. This says, at least ostensibly, that other countries don't really care about Cuban people either. They are simply happy buying Cuban goods that fatten the coffers of the tyranny state with little left over to for the people themselves. Lets face it... It is not every other country's lot to consternate over the freedom of other nation-states. So how does it feel to know that you fund this tyranny state? Me, I try not to think about it. I support China every time I buy electronic anything... I support the tyranny state as well. I buy Cuban cigars... I too am guilty.

As for the money... There is no money in it for me. There is no money in relations with Cuba for your typical American. As usual this is just another taxpayer funded money laundering operation. This operation consists first of some form of foreign aid, generally earmarked for the common good such as for telecommunications. If we cut to the quick here, this just means that some ex-cabinet member, now lobbyist, is working their way into the US taxpayers pocket. The foreign aid is lobbied for, it is put into a bill, then the lobbyists 'client' gets down there to get their share with some left over for the dictator in charge. It is money laundering, crony capitalism, plain and simple... It is about making money, BUT NOT FOR THE AMERICAN PEOPLE!

Relations with Cuba while the communist state exists will only benefit some politicians, their lobbyist friends and their clients, as well as some thugs that call themselves the Cuban government!

When I see someone going to Cuba, or another banana republic and giving their time and there resources for zero return other than the good feeling that it provides, I will see and celebrate the true philanthropist. This does not mean that you bring some bottles of Advil when you go down to smoke cigars.... It means that you give freely when no cigars are involved!

I would like to see all the world's people free. There is little that I can do about it beyond trying to keep my own country free. As I am having little effect on either front, I will settle for a great cigar from Cuba, rolled by state run slaves... and simply remember them in my prayers!

No matter how convenient to the argument, I am not going to pretend that my buying cigars does the Cuban people any good. Frankly, I actually think the opposite!

Cheers! -Piggy

*Well, should this little Habanos-crazed American girl ever get to frolick and interact with the regular Cuban populace, I'll be more than glad - almost near insistent - on fattening their individual pockets buying their own personal stashes of Pesos Habanas! I like them, definitely, more than the current Trinidads!

Wow. That'd be pretty cool. I'm sure they would be on the milder side of what people normally go for nowadays, but still would account for some MAJOR increases in sales due to the fact of people investing in them for long-term, along with the fact that the International Duty-Free market as mentioned in the original post.

My gut feeling here is that many folks in the cigar industry believe Cuban tobacco to be the best in the world. Cuban cigars are still great tasting despite the mismanagement of Tabacuba by party member executives. I believe it to be pretty obvious that the greatness of the 'Cuban cigar' is a matter of great tobacco and otherwise I consider it a sheer accident achieved by Tabacuba's substandard management. MHO..!

If Tabacuba is talking to Davidoff, they are simply fishing for money again. The H SA money has likely run out and they need another sucker!

-Piggy

Good point, Ray! This article from Cigar Aficionado from 1993 demonstrates how untenable the relationship between Tabacuba and Davidoff had become by the late eighties. I would imagine the act of publicly burning 130000 cigars in protest on Davidoff's behalf would be a major stumbling block to overcome, even now some 25 to 30 years later. But, like you've mentioned, HSA probably needs the money, and Davidoff probably needs the prestige (which they can't obtain from Non-Cuban sources).

Isn't the public burning semi legend? There's no pictures to confirm this public display right?

I heard it may have been broadcast on local news. Otherwise, its' legend. Or those boxes are in their vault in Geneva. ;)