Keep your eyes peeled...New deadly snake – Kimberley death adder - discovered in Australia

The new species – a Kimberley death adder - is a venomous orange-brown snake which is a “sit-and-wait” predator.

It joins onto the list of poisonous creatures in Australia, which is believed to have 20 of the world's 25 most deadly snakes.

The Kimberley death adder has diamond-shaped scales and camouflages itself before pouncing on passing creatures such as birds, frogs and lizards, or potentially humans, the Telegraph reports.

Scientist Simon Maddock led a team which examined the snake’s genetic and biological characteristics and confirmed it belonged to a distinct species, which was named acanthophis cryptamydros, or the Kimberley death adder.

The snake is typically about 24 inches long, and is “quite rare” according to the scientist.

“Surprisingly, the snakes it most closely resembles aren’t its closest genetic relatives … And given the number of new species found in Kimberley recently – including frogs, lizards and many plants – it’s likely to be just one of many currently undescribed snakes in the west of Australia.”

The findings have been published in the journal Zootaxa.

I wonder how long it will take to create an antivenom...

I recommend 1 3/4 oz of nickel plated #6 behind a 3 3/4 dram load of Hodgdon Clays. It is beyond antivenom, it is antisnake.

• Like 2

"Cool story bro" ALERT!

My mate Darren was bitten by a Death Adder on the headland at Point Cartwright on the Sunshine Coast. After a surf at 'Platforms,' we got out and were walking up the hill to the track, through a bit of bush, but not that dense at all, and he was last behind a group of 5 of us. He screamed and said he'd been bitten and we could see it was short stubby snake. The first 4 of us may have disturbed it, and it decided enough was enough. We raced him to the car, had no bandages, so wrapped a towel as firmly as possible, to replicate a compression bandage, and sped off to Nambour hospital. Which is about a half hour drive. Upon getting to the emergency desk, we got a fit of the giggles. Like kids in church. We knew it was ridiculous and shouldn't be laughing, but it was too contagious. Even the nurse at the desk was laughing, and then she didn't believe what we were telling her. So we unwrapped Darren's leg to see 3 bite marks bruising up on his ankle. Bear in mind that he only felt one bite. That's how fast they are. In the end, the doctor said, lucky the death adder is so short and stubby, and it bit him on the ankle, and couldn't strike higher up the leg, because the venom stayed a little localised around the joint and not too much got into his blood stream. He said, if the snake has bit him like that on the calf muscle, he would have been dead halfway to the hospital. surprised.gif

"Cool story bro" ALERT!

My mate Darren was bitten by a Death Adder on the headland at Point Cartwright on the Sunshine Coast. After a surf at 'Platforms,' we got out and were walking up the hill to the track, through a bit of bush, but not that dense at all, and he was last behind a group of 5 of us. He screamed and said he'd been bitten and we could see it was short stubby snake. The first 4 of us may have disturbed it, and it decided enough was enough. We raced him to the car, had no bandages, so wrapped a towel as firmly as possible, to replicate a compression bandage, and sped off to Nambour hospital. Which is about a half hour drive. Upon getting to the emergency desk, we got a fit of the giggles. Like kids in church. We knew it was ridiculous and shouldn't be laughing, but it was too contagious. Even the nurse at the desk was laughing, and then she didn't believe what we were telling her. So we unwrapped Darren's leg to see 3 bite marks bruising up on his ankle. Bear in mind that he only felt one bite. That's how fast they are. In the end, the doctor said, lucky the death adder is so short and stubby, and it bit him on the ankle, and couldn't strike higher up the leg, because the venom stayed a little localised around the joint and not too much got into his blood stream. He said, if the snake has bit him like that on the calf muscle, he would have been dead halfway to the hospital. :surprised:

What was so funny? I think I missed the punchline....

So you guys just keep inventing/creating new deadly stuff down there?

Why, one must ask.........don't you have enough already?

So you guys just keep inventing/creating new deadly stuff down there?

Why, one must ask.........don't you have enough already?

Keeps things interesting. Every once in a while, life gets a little boring, you know?

• Like 1

What was so funny? I think I missed the punchline....

No punchline mate.

Just the fact that it was such a ridiculous situation to be in. Thinking back, it could have been a nervous situation.

You've never laughed so much because you shouldn't be laughing?

Anyway, thanks for ruining my cool story bro.

LOL

• Like 1

No punchline mate.

Just the fact that it was such a ridiculous situation to be in. Thinking back, it could have been a nervous situation.

You've never laughed so much because you shouldn't be laughing?

Anyway, thanks for ruining my cool story bro.

LOL

Wasn't trying to ruin your cool story bro, just thought I missed something...

To answer your question about inappropriate times to laugh, sure, but usually due to social conventions, not when a friend's life is in danger. Then again, we don't get too many surfing/snakebite stories in Montreal....

• Like 1

Wasn't trying to ruin your cool story bro, just thought I missed something...

To answer your question about inappropriate times to laugh, sure, but usually due to social conventions, not when a friend's life is in danger. Then again, we don't get too many surfing/snakebite stories in Montreal....

Not many of either up that way I can imagine lol3.gif

"Cool story bro" ALERT!

My mate Darren was bitten by a Death Adder on the headland at Point Cartwright on the Sunshine Coast. After a surf at 'Platforms,' we got out and were walking up the hill to the track, through a bit of bush, but not that dense at all, and he was last behind a group of 5 of us. He screamed and said he'd been bitten and we could see it was short stubby snake. The first 4 of us may have disturbed it, and it decided enough was enough. We raced him to the car, had no bandages, so wrapped a towel as firmly as possible, to replicate a compression bandage, and sped off to Nambour hospital. Which is about a half hour drive. Upon getting to the emergency desk, we got a fit of the giggles. Like kids in church. We knew it was ridiculous and shouldn't be laughing, but it was too contagious. Even the nurse at the desk was laughing, and then she didn't believe what we were telling her. So we unwrapped Darren's leg to see 3 bite marks bruising up on his ankle. Bear in mind that he only felt one bite. That's how fast they are. In the end, the doctor said, lucky the death adder is so short and stubby, and it bit him on the ankle, and couldn't strike higher up the leg, because the venom stayed a little localised around the joint and not too much got into his blood stream. He said, if the snake has bit him like that on the calf muscle, he would have been dead halfway to the hospital. surprised.gif

Ha. I would have said if you die can I keep your surfboard lmao.gif actually when you die can I keep your surfboard

My wife and I have always wanted to do a long vacation in Australia. After all these stories you guys post - now I'm kinda "not so much". Home here in Kansas may be a little tame but I don't have to look in every nook and cranny to see what might be lurking and trying to kill me!

The chances of coming across one of our deadly creatures is relatively remote. You're more likely to get glassed or king hit by some whackjob in a nightclub, than be bitten by a venomous critter or eaten by a shark/croc.

I've gone bushwalking plenty of times and have come across a handful of snakes. Most just wanted to stay curled up in the sun than act aggressive.

• Like 1

The chances of coming across one of our deadly creatures is relatively remote. You're more likely to get glassed or king hit by some whackjob in a nightclub, than be bitten by a venomous critter or eaten by a shark/croc.

I've gone bushwalking plenty of times and have come across a handful of snakes. Most just wanted to stay curled up in the sun than act aggressive.

Speaking of giggling. Don't know why "king hit" struck (see what I did there) as hilarious. Especially when I went to the urban dictionary:

King Hit
A term widely used in Australia. A very hard punch, usually delivered to the head, that is completely unexpected. Most often results in knock outs or knock downs. Viewed upon by most as an act of cowardice. Similar in meaning to sucker punch.
"The boys beat the **** out of this nev after he king hit Joey in the pub."
Thanks for the chuckle, Fuzz!