Hoyo De Monterrey Regalos EL 2007 ...opinions?

I have some interesting stuff being put up next week including some Hoyo De Monterrey Regalos LE 2007.

I actually have a few boxes I put away for myself upon release but i haven' tried one in over 12 months. I will do so over the weekend.

For those that have smoked them (preferably recently), let us know your thoughts as to how they are smoking. I will use a summary of your comments as well as my thoughts when I put them up (no need to epmail me to set one aside as they are destined for 24;24)

Cheers folks!

post-4-0-43162800-1442441896_thumb.jpg

post-4-0-00768100-1442441895_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Funny you mention these, I happen to have pulled out one and moved it to my otter box to smoke this week sometime. Almost went for it this evening but decided to smoke a fresh Behike 52 I got. I'll probably have the Regallo on Saturday while at a BBQ.

Id love to grab a box but hate buying blind anymore. And wife would kill me if I bought anymore cigars right now. I love trying the EL stuff and especially things that are this well aged!

Only complaint is that quite a few sticks have very thick wrappers.

Those with thick wrappers are fire-proof. They tasted like crap and went out every five minutes. I usually love the Hoyo ELs but this one was one of the worst boxes I've ever had.

I was so surprised, I've discussed this cigar with a few tobacconists in France. They said that the original release was excellent, sold very fast as customers loved it, then suddenly the bad boxes made their apparition and the cigar went from "excellent/recommended" to "unsmokable/avoid/I must call the distributor"…

• Like 1

Another vote for "Inconsistent". I've had some quite nice, Des-Dieux-like ones that intrigue me, but also some boring, lifeless ones too. I see them a LOT in European shops as I travel, the shop clerks nearly always bring my attention to them, almost in desperation it seems to sell them. Does not bode well.....

In any case, I never got the impression from tasting them that they had the legs to age for much longer, I'd smoke them now if I had any left. Just my opinion......

• 5 weeks later...

Always had good luck with the Regalos. In fact, I thought it was one of the best EL releases ever up to that point (2007). Amazing to me that there are still many boxes available if you look for them but I wouldn't buy blind.

As noted above, the thicker wrappers can cause problems. Go thinner and lighter (some of the Regalos wrappers were as dark as I've ever seen on any EL) IMO and you'll get a very good smoke with some definite HDM characteristics. Not sure when the ultimate peak of these will be but as with many ELs 10 years may be too long to wait.