Ramon Allones 898 Germany RE

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A few hours of coffee and chat over some very good cigars. Picked up a few RA 898 Alemania boxes too. Here's my verdict : The cigar is incredibly good, still fresh and needs rest - yes. But a grea

Thanks for the reminder ! We went and had us some more of those overrated sticks today. And they sure will sleep in our collections :-)

My review on this cigar. Ramon Allones ER Allemania Long awaited Dalia (170 x 43). First Third Fresh and therefore slightly peppery start Taste Black pepper 3/5 Coffee 2/5 Earth 2/5 Cacao

I do.

The connoisseur's aka the above average avid hobbyist's point of difference, is that they/we are anti-bigringgauge. Like the hipsters are to denim or slacks. It is how we differentiate and identify ourselves from the average punter and the ensuing popular trend of big ring gauge (50/52+) cigars.

La Escepcion all over again.

I think the hype will be justified. Again. Sort of like a combined 'finger on the pulse' result really.

Sent from my iPhone

I don't know if I agree with this. I would argue that most, or at least many, on this forum and others prefer bigger RGs. Not only that but forum cigar enthusiasts are the minority when compared to people who smoke cigars and do not frequent forums.

It's got hype because, like the La esception (which did not exactly fly off shelves, hence the jar), this is a reboot of a long gone cigar and "white whale" cigar.

It's got hype because Germany has had some stellar REs in the past.

It's got hype because some may see this cigar as an easy way to turn a profit.

It's got hype because pricing is not as exorbitant as it could have been so there us a "deal" factor.

It's got hype because these are released so very late, it grew and grew....many people who have never heard of the original ran searches and saw great reviews and think these will be as legendary...

There is hype because it's a thinner rg, but that reason would not top my list.

Every year has 3 or 4 REs that people clamour for.

PL Sobresalientes

Diplomatico Bushido

RA 898.

2 of the 3 are relaunches. None of the 3 are overused, tired and boring short robusto. They are all unique which is what captures the imagination of cigar smokers. Why spend 2x price of RASS for yet another RA short robusto? Less cigar for more money. Value is hard to justify. At least with these 3 vitolas, the higher cost can be understood.

• Like 3

We will find out shortly if these smoke anything like the original. In Nino's post he said they were good and could tell they were a Ramon Allones blend. He did not mention they reminded him of the old 898. However, if Nino says it's a very good cigar I absolutely believe him.

The hype factor is 100% due to being named after the "white whale." We all know it. It's fortunate it was released in a price controlled country like Germany, however that will not prevent them from showing up soon for a huge premium on the secondary market. Beware, it will be VERY easily faked. An unscrupulous seller could easily remove the bands and throw them on some Party 898 and no one would ever know. That's why with this release provenance will be paramount.

• Like 3

Smoked my first one today....

First 3rd really interesting but indeed reminding me of the P898 with its ethereal and oily flavour profile... biggrin.png

In addition quite like a mix of RAAE 2011 and RAAS.

2nd half till end it becomes a bit marshy in its youth..

Definitely needs time.

Hope it will be smoked and not sold in 5 years for 3 times the price...

post-24506-0-92694200-1444413916_thumb.j

post-24506-0-25090000-1444413928_thumb.j

• Like 4

Ehmm yes it's the official price minus a common rebate for buying a whole box. Can't see your point.

No stock either... Just singles.

I don't know if I agree with this. I would argue that most, or at least many, on this forum and others prefer bigger RGs. Not only that but forum cigar enthusiasts are the minority when compared to people who smoke cigars and do not frequent forums.

It's got hype because, like the La esception (which did not exactly fly off shelves, hence the jar), this is a reboot of a long gone cigar and "white whale" cigar.

It's got hype because Germany has had some stellar REs in the past.

It's got hype because some may see this cigar as an easy way to turn a profit.

It's got hype because pricing is not as exorbitant as it could have been so there us a "deal" factor.

It's got hype because these are released so very late, it grew and grew....many people who have never heard of the original ran searches and saw great reviews and think these will be as legendary...

There is hype because it's a thinner rg, but that reason would not top my list.

Every year has 3 or 4 REs that people clamour for.

PL Sobresalientes

Diplomatico Bushido

RA 898.

2 of the 3 are relaunches. None of the 3 are overused, tired and boring short robusto. They are all unique which is what captures the imagination of cigar smokers. Why spend 2x price of RASS for yet another RA short robusto? Less cigar for more money. Value is hard to justify. At least with these 3 vitolas, the higher cost can be understood.

You can add the RA britanicas and the HF 225 to that list as well!

I must be losing my mind a bit, what's the RA Britannica?

True about the 225, although that's a 2015 release not 2014.

RA suiza, the britanicas is the size

Sent by telepathic superpowers.

-Stogieboy

RA suiza, the britanicas is the size

Sent by telepathic superpowers.

-Stogieboy

Ah yes. I didn't think there was that much hype in them, other than being very easy to get. I thought the Bolivar Britannica had more hype a few years ago.

There was until people tried smoking them!

I liked them. Much more than the RA C.F.. went in as heavy as I could with the brits.

I remember Ajay loving them as well, but reviews from a vendor are always with a grain of salt for me.

Positive early reviews and the reputation or the thinner Alemania REs coming together to make this cigar look like a good get.