Pulled Pork - Part 3

Overproof

Yesterday I did a little tribute cook for my mate who I inherited this ceramic cooker from. My 3rd attempt, first on the Primo. The biggest and longest however this time I had a BBQ Guru pit viper which maintained the pit temp for me. Call it cheating but with a 2 year old boy who sucks the energy out of me every minute of the day, sleep is a precious commodity haha

Meat: 5.1kg (11.2 lbs) shoulder of pork (bone in). Memphis meathead rubbed over some American mustard the night before then re coated before cook.
Cooking Time: Put it down at 10:30pm Saturday and pulled it around 2:30PM yesterday arvo. It stalled for at least 2hrs. Damn near 16 hr cook!!

Cooking Method: 2 heat deflector plates, 1 can of dr pepper in the drip trays, pit set to 225f, although I lifted the pit to 240 with a few hrs to go. I pulled the meat at 190f. I could have cooked it for maybe another half hour and let it rest a little longer but people were hungry!

Fuel/Smoke: Coal of course! A full pit of it with the larger chunks placed to the bottom plus almost half a box of SAMBA wood chip mix (apple, cherry and mesquite) I need to pick up some wood chunks locally by the bag though, these chips are way overpriced for how much you get and how much you need per cook.

Cigar: 07 Bolivar Caronas Extra
Drink: 1 x ***** Whisky, 2 x XXXX Gold tins, 1 x Mount *** Eclipse and Coke. I really enjoyed the Japanese Whisky and IMO eclipse is the best mixer rum for the price.

This pic was at about halftime.

Edit: Forgot to mention we used this sauce in our sandwiches. I found it locally in the coles supermarket. Not bad.

post-13704-0-32286400-1443400103_thumb.j

post-13704-0-17679100-1443400122_thumb.j

• Like 3

Well done!!! I love doing a nice pulled pork low and slow. Just wondering what exactly is "American Mustard". I use a Mustard made in Montreal for Schwartz's deli. It is a yellow mustard somewhat similar to a Frenches mustard but a bit more grainy and with a bit of an extra bite and smokiness to it.

Well done!!! I love doing a nice pulled pork low and slow. Just wondering what exactly is "American Mustard". I use a Mustard made in Montreal for Schwartz's deli. It is a yellow mustard somewhat similar to a Frenches mustard but a bit more grainy and with a bit of an extra bite and smokiness to it.

Thanks! Yeah I used this one. Hot dog, yellow, American, American picnic, all the same I think. I've done a shoulder with oil and one using mustard and to be honest I can't really taste any difference but I find the rub sticks a little better with mustard.

Thanks! Yeah I used this one. Hot dog, yellow, American, American picnic, all the same I think. I've done a shoulder with oil and one using mustard and to be honest I can't really taste any difference but I find the rub sticks a little better with mustard.

Thanks for the info. I assumed that you were talking about your regular run of the mill yellow hot dog mustard, As i mentioned previously I use something similar. Something I do a bit different is I mix into the mustard a bit of oil. Mustard is a great emulsifier and blends well with the oil and retains the rub better.

• Like 1

Thanks for the info. I assumed that you were talking about your regular run of the mill yellow hot dog mustard, As i mentioned previously I use something similar. Something I do a bit different is I mix into the mustard a bit of oil. Mustard is a great emulsifier and blends well with the oil and retains the rub better.

Great tip. How much would you consider a bit, a tablespoon?

Great tip. How much would you consider a bit, a tablespoon?

depends on how much meat you re cooking and mustard you use. I basically use a 3-1 ratio. 3 parts mustard to 1 part oil.

• Like 1