Annoying people

I haven't had the "pleasure" of being berated about NC's being superior when smoking a CC out and about. I generally get a few questions about my cigar, sometimes turning into a longer conversation if it's someone truly interested in CC's.

Occasionally I get the know-it-alls who smugly inform me that my cigar is a fake because "all CC's in the US are fake." My typical answer, "I didn't get it in the US" and leave it at that, though with some of them I do favor "Go %&$# yourself."

Maybe they are not annoying and we are.

I always wonder at what the other side thinks. You know, 2 sides to every story.

Regards.

I always wonder at what the other side thinks. You know, 2 sides to every story.

Regards.

Interesting point of view. From a sample of one (me, obviously) I have witnessed that anything different tends to be perceived as threatening by most people. If you're smoking a CC in a mostly NC smoking crowd, you're bound to stand out and attract attention (and criticism for being different), hence the annoyance to other people. Oh well :P

Today I walked in and the guy was there....and his dog was barking at me. No kidding. But at least the bar tender must have told him if that dog barks he has to go because he said "That's it, he has to go." It is a decent looking place with plenty of nice seating. For me I just stand out when I'm the biggest guy in the place at 6'6. Acutally had a decent NC cigar that melted nice with my 90 shillings ale that just made it a malty, creamy, sweet combination. (RYJ Reserva Real 44x6'1/2 in a glass tubo a friend picked up on a trip to Dominican Republic).

I truly thought this was gonna be another case of one of us cigar smokers being hassled by the "No Stinkin' Seegar Police"! I s'pose if I was approached by someone while I was smoking, and it WASN'T to tell me how offended they were at my cigar, I guess I'd just patiently (and quietly) endure their no knowin' nuthin' asses, and let them talk. These days one has to be grateful for what people AREN'T bringing to you, i.e. guns, bad manners, condemnations, complaints, ad infinitum, and if they're just making an ass of themselves lecturing those of us who really do know a tad bit more - cest` le gere (possibly spelled wrong I know, mon ami`s!)

I was at the driving range today, killing some time and looking forward to some peace and quiet, and of course some practice.

Reminding me of this thread, the guy at the bay next to me kept wanting to strike up useless conversation. Friendly enough he was, I just couldn't stand it anymore and had to literrally ignore him. He saw me hit some decent shots and wanted me to look at him and try and sort out his problems. I eventually had to just tell him I was tight on time and didn't have the experience to comment. I felt like I may have been rude, but I just wasn't in the mood to be social - this was my solitary lone time.

This guy, especially this guy. He bags on cubans all the time and makes the argument that they are inferior to NC's. He also runs a cult-like facebook page where it's just one big echo chamber of terrible opinions.

• Like 1

Regards.

It's always possible that *merely* smoking a Cuban (or *merely* preferring Cubans) could annoy somebody, but that says more about the person who is annoyed. I definitely suspect this to be true in what some people are reporting here. There might always be two sides (or more) to every story, but not every side is as good as another.

Living in the US I have had mainly positive experiences with cigar shop owners in my neck of the woods. One shop owner was talking to an employee about a regular who left a Partagas Lusitania on accident. They didn't know exactly who it was who had left it, but the owner said "if someone doesn't claim it, it's mine. I love that cigar." On another occasion I was at a different shop to buy some Fuente Anejos and smoke. The guy working, who really knew his stuff, sat down to smoke with me and when I put my purchases in my travel humidor and pulled out an RyJ Cazzie to smoke he almost jumped out of his seat. He asked what cigar it was and I told him, then he went on to rave about how it was his favorite cigar in the world and how underrated it was. When I gave it to him he said, "If I had anything in the humidor half as good I would offer one to you for being so generous, but even though I don't feel free to go grab anything you would like." Being a greedy bugger I went in and grabbed a Fuente Lost City Toro, of which there were quite a few boxes. Made a cigar friend for life that day.

The few negative experiences I have had generally occur when the cigar reps are in the shop. They will sit down to smoke and inevitably Cuban cigars come up because someone will out me as the guy who only smokes Cuban. The rep then feels that it's his duty to educate me as to how the cigar business works. How Cuban tobacco is available on the open market and that Rocky Patel, Fuente etc won't use it because it's not high enough quality. Or another favorite, how the Cubans import NC tobacco because they can't produce enough quality tobacco to meet their needs etc. I just nod and puff away. I think I once said, "then I guess I have bad taste and won't have to worry about you buying my cigars when the embargo ends!"

• Like 2

This guy, especially this guy. He bags on cubans all the time and makes the argument that they are inferior to NC's. He also runs a cult-like facebook page where it's just one big echo chamber of terrible opinions.

Look at the comments section how people are bagging on the guy and he even thinks it may not have been a legit Monte Habano.

The big problem from my perspective is the absolute lack of consistency with cubans. We're spoiled here since Rob inspects and grades every box, and then we get to pick from the best ones.

Prior to coming here I bought a several boxes from other sources, and while a couple were good (one was PSP level), most were kinda crappy. Underfilled and lackluster wrappers were common in them. Thankfully my brother doesn't know any better and he had no problem taking them off my hands.

With NCs, even the cheap ones, I haven't observed the same rate of construction issues that have plagued some of my earlier box purchases. That isn't to say that NCs are immune from construction issues, I just haven't observed them at the rate i've seen them in CCs.

If all you get are crappy cigars with burn issues, lackluster wrappers, and generally a poor experience, why would you have a positive view of them? Unless your masochistic toward your wallet I can't imagine someone coming back and wanting more.

I'm very opinionated but I like to think I know when to turn my filter on and when not too. And I'm not going to share my opinion to some random dude I've never met in a bar.

I typically don't look friendly enough for people to stroll up and set with me so I really don't get to many azzhats bothering me I have a friend who loves NCs and says the typical Cuban seed grown in other places BS so I don't bother. I just enjoy the company. He likes ice in his scotch also:)

Fosgate, I wish I had your level of patience.

First, let me preface my story by saying, I smoke almost exclusively CC at this point, however I do enjoy an NC from time to time, especially at B&M, where I feel weird smoking something I didn't by there. Also, I'm very much the type of person that believes you should smoke what you enjoy. If you think a Tatuaje is better than any from Cuba, great! At least you know what you like.

I popped in to a local B&M not far from where I live. The sales person, who I've been friendly with before and I'm sure recognizes me starts chatting with me. We discuss some newer releases and he asks me what I've been smoking lately. I tell him I've been smoking CC mostly with some NC sprinkled in here and there. He goes off on this tangent about how CC are so overrated and the rolling method makes for terrible construciton and yada yada yada.

What set me over the edge, and this is something I've heard from other B&Ms, is that on top of everything else, it's terrible that I, as an American, am supporting communism by buying CC.

I couldn't bite my tongue any longer and told him he was a hypocrite because the second the embargo was lifted he'd clear 75% of the stock on his shelves to make room for CC so fast he'd throw his elbow out. I picked up what I came in to get and left.

If all you get are crappy cigars with burn issues, lackluster wrappers, and generally a poor experience, why would you have a positive view of them? Unless your masochistic toward your wallet I can't imagine someone coming back and wanting more.

Who is in this case? Only the crowd that purchases online, as it's the only opportunity. This is an US point of view. There are hundreds of thousands of customers in Europe who can cherry pick their habanos and don't care about NCs.

This is very common. Usually product reps or shop owners that pull this routine though. Rather have people staring at their phones than spouting Fox news nonsense, another common lounge troll move.

Agreed, I have little patience for those that regurgitate what the talking heads spout, whether the variety you mention or the hand-wringer contingent.

I have a guy like that at my local B&M. I've learned to ignore him as best I can, and when I do have to respond to him, it's usually something along the lines of "Hey, different smokes for different folks".

I willingly concede that the non-CC manufactures have come a looooooong ways over the past 20 years or so. While I certainly enjoy my CCs, I also enjoy cigars from Fuente, Padron, etc...

In the end, it comes down to smoke what you want. You want to smoke a Rocky Patel Vintage 1990 ?? Go ahead. Ghurka floats your boat ?? Have at it. Just don't try to denigrate the cigar I'm smoking because its' not what you like. I really don't give a rat's ass what you think about what I'm smoking, as I'm not smoking it for you, I'm smoking it for me.

• Like 3