Industries under threat?

In Australia right now our Taxi industry is under immense threat from Uber with cab/taxi owners appealing to government for legislation banning the ride sharing company. With cab licenses at around $500,000 AUD each, peoples investments are on the line and they are seeking in part "compensation" from the government if they don't legislate a ban.

Mind you, Cigar tobacconists in this country were pretty much legislated out of existence. Not a cent of compensation paid. There are plenty of other examples.

But the Uber V taxi fight is really based around the issue of new technologies servicing a market better and catching a monopoly that gouged people for years flat footed.

It was a topic we discussed over cigars last Friday on the deck.

What are the current industries that are under threat from "app technologies" over the coming years. What industries are under threat from an "Uber like" competitor?

• Like 1

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Uber has my vote. The service is OUTSTANDING and I use it often. I was even having a discussion with a client about how he was selling his car and using Uber exclusively to go to work etc because it

You fail to mention the untold thousands who make good money working when they want to work with Uber with no upfront investment. And your insinuation that the product is somehow less than the curren

I tried once to discuss with a taxi driver; he replied "You talkin' to me?"

Restraunt's are evolving the way food is being ordered. Although they are not seeking government compensation (yet) ; a similar "Shift" has been born.

Teenagers create app for pizza delivery
Adam Ganucheau, USATODAY 1:11 p.m. EDT August 5, 2014
1407258281000-Pizza.jpeg

(Photo: Courtesy Simple Food Solutions LLC)

113CONNECT 43TWEET 1LINKEDIN 1COMMENTEMAILMORE

Five teenagers from Brooklyn created a one-stop ordering app for getting pizza delivered from a local pizzeria.

Deemed "the Uber of pizza" in the group's marketing video, the app is fairly simple, allowing users to select one of two pizza options from the pizza delivery restaurant of their choice: pepperoni or cheese.

The concept was developed by "five teenagers and one mature adult who love and appreciate pizza," the app's website reads. The group apparently wasn't satisfied with having to call and order pizza by phone or through existing food delivery apps like Grubhub and Seamless.

After downloading the free app in the Apple Store, users create a Push for Pizza account, adding their name, address and even a nickname for that address. Then, users select the quantity of cheese or pepperoni pizzas they want, the nearby delivery restaurant of their choice and the payment information. Much like Uber, credit cards can be linked to the app, but users can also opt to pay cash when the pizza arrives.

The app's clever but informational video posted on its website plays to the stereotypes of, well, a reason a group of teenagers might be interested in ordering pizza late at night.

But the Uber V taxi fight is really based around the issue of new technologies servicing a market better and catching a monopoly that gouged people for years flat footed.

I'm not so sure. Level the playing field - everyone has to pay for a license and background checks, or nobody does. In some countries, tobacco has been all but outlawed, in others, the internet along with the high costs / taxes to own or lease a property puts one at a disadvantage. Look at how many cigar smokers are willing to buy online / have cigars drop shipped versus paying duties etc.

The music industry - certainly record and publishing companies enjoyed a monopoly, and technology has allowed artists to have much more control, but who here has never illegally downloaded an mp3?

There is little question that "modern technology" has, while perhaps making everyday life a little more "easy to have it now", caused quite a bit of job loss in many fields......

Combine that with more and more humans, what do you come up with?

Cabbies in Toronto are up in arms as well. The taxi system here is a municipal cash grab anyways. The pricing between Uber and a Taxi here is massive. I'd like to see the pendulum swing to lowering the municipal take, but that won't happen.

Journalism and publishing. Evidence: Playboy is no longer publishing nude photos.

WHAAAT?!?!?

So do you think there will be an app that takes care of all the thousands of good people put out of work by companies like uber.

I was thinking about starting up a cross river ferry service using a tinny and an outboard, should go well in the current climate.

I could call it the See if we get across alive app.

Real Estate industry is being disrupted by technology (internet).

They used to provide real value by networking buyers and sellers together. Now with the internet there are much easier ways to do that and the value-add provided by a real estate agent is dramatically reduced.

I've privately sold 2 homes in the past 3 years (Ontario, Canada). Saved over $20,000 in agent commissions!

Travel agencies, I remember my grandparents talking about them.

I totally agree with the travel agent industry also.

I work in higher education (local college). It hasn't had a significant impact on how business has been done <yet> but that's changing and it's changing faster than the organizations can keep up. More online/flexible delivery of education is going to be key in the coming years.

Dave

Real Estate industry is being disrupted by technology (internet).

They used to provide real value by networking buyers and sellers together. Now with the internet there are much easier ways to do that and the value-add provided by a real estate agent is dramatically reduced.

I've privately sold 2 homes in the past 3 years (Ontario, Canada). Saved over $20,000 in agent commissions!

I'm a real estate sales person, and the internet has brought me far more business than it has cost me.

New clients are able to get in touch, and seek recommendations on selecting an agent far easier than ever before.

Love Uber will not catch another cab again unless they are outlawed or I have no other choice ,it seems to me the last prerequisite for being able to be a cabbie is the ability to drive a motor vehicle and or take directions

But ona subject more close to home the Printing industries have been hit hard ,mainly by the Internet and the advent of digital media ,ie Ebooks etc

Cheers all

• Like 1

I really dislike the cabbies in Melbourne, I can't negatively comment on the rest of the world because their prices may be different plus the level of service may be a greater experience elsewhere such as the U.K where I recently seen a documentary showing just how hard cabbies work in order to learn the demographics, locales and history about the area they service (It takes three years to get your cab license there)

Unfortunately, Melbourne's cabbies really suck! (There may be the odd one or two who provide a good service but the rest are horrid). A typical cab ride in Melbourne has the driver asking you to direct them to land marks such as the MCG, Flinders Street station, the airport to name a few and or they use a GPS to get about.

I caught a cab from my residence to the airport, 39 kms and it cost me $150! Added to this, we had to direct the driver to the destination.

IMO, whilst I am yet to catch a ride with UBER, I wouldn't hesitate if it means I save money or at least get a better service.

If cab licenses cost $500K upward, then perhaps the industry needs an overhaul and those drivers wake up and start earning their money appropriately otherwise they lose their livelihood.

• Like 1

DVD and Music retailers are defiantly suffering thanks to iTunes, Amazon Prime, Hulu, Netflix and Torrenting.

My father has a collection of DVD numbering in the thousands, but I have a total of 4 DVDs in my house, I do have Netflix and a 4 TB hard drive though

I do not have commercial TV connected either. Between YouTube, Netflix and ABC iView I don't need to have my antenna connected in order to stay up to date with news.

The old model of being home by a certain time in order to watch a TV program is going the way of the dinosaurs now thanks to most large channels having "catch up" services and streaming content.

On Uber-

I had the opportunity to use my first Uber recently during a trip to Melbourne. After 15 years of catching cab in that city I was impressed with the quality of the service as well as the seamless ordering/paying for the ride.

The taxi industry has had a strong monopoly on the market for as long as I have been around and it was only a matter of time before someone figured out how to do it better.

You cant steal business that doesn't want to be stolen. The fact that most of the time Uber is slightly more expensive than traditional cabs should show that the market is willing to pay for a level of service that traditional taxis haven't supplied in years

• Like 2

Uber rocks. I've used it in the U.S., all over Oz and even Bali - just from the one APP. I hate taxi drivers with a passion, the cars are stinky and the driver (SYD especially) always are either on their phone or asking you where somewhere is.

Hope the taxi industry gets deregulated.

• Like 1

So do you think there will be an app that takes care of all the thousands of good people put out of work by companies like uber.

I was thinking about starting up a cross river ferry service using a tinny and an outboard, should go well in the current climate.

I could call it the See if we get across alive app.

I only realised a few weeks ago that a family member owned 2 cab licenses. It was the retirement fund for he and his wife. Lot's of worries right now no doubt.

The biggest problems for cabs in this country is that they never engendered any loyalty from a customer base. Instead, they charged 10% on credit cards. A lot of hate towards Cabcharge in Oz. This is not to say that drivers were to blame at all. Simply the "industry" that took great delight in gouging.

So when an upstart comes along providing a similar (better?) cheaper service, it has a fair proportion of the population willing to give it a go just to tell the monopoly where to "shove it" .

• Like 2

I'm not a huge fan of taxis either

Some of my more memorable horror stories

I got a cab from Darwin Airport a few months ago and the driver didn't know where the Stuart Highway was

The Stuart Highway is the longest stretch of road in the country (stretches over 3000km from Darwin to Adelaide) and the main highway in the NT.

He tried putting Stuart Highway into his Sat Nav and it had a melt down, I had to direct him to it

I once got in a cab in Melbourne where the driver spent 15 min trying to find the address in his sat nav while I sat there with the meter running. I ended up getting out and jumping in the next cab in the queue, he knew where I was going

In Sydney the driver handed me his Sat Nav and told me to put my address in it for him, I didn't stick around then either

Was getting a cab to the airport in Brisi and the car ran out of fuel 100 meters from the gate terminal, I ended up walking the rest of the way

Last cab I got in Perth had to stop for fuel while I was still in it, I had to take a photo of the drivers licence number and threaten to call the taxi company before he turned the meter off

• Like 1