Industries under threat?

Some of the Uber drivers I've had in Brisbane and Melbourne have been just as shithouse as cab drivers in my experience. In most cases its bad driving and a poor understanding of common road rules and main roads even though the Uber app GPS maps your trip. One driver insisted I gave him 5 stars after he almost caused an accident at an intersection.

In saying this I'll still use an uber over a cab.

I think the rating system could be a little different. I'm not sure how it works for the drivers but it's almost like ebay, where the driver can wait for a rating before they rate the customer.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Uber has my vote. The service is OUTSTANDING and I use it often. I was even having a discussion with a client about how he was selling his car and using Uber exclusively to go to work etc because it

You fail to mention the untold thousands who make good money working when they want to work with Uber with no upfront investment. And your insinuation that the product is somehow less than the curren

I tried once to discuss with a taxi driver; he replied "You talkin' to me?"

Some of the Uber drivers I've had in Brisbane and Melbourne have been just as shithouse as cab drivers in my experience. In most cases its bad driving and a poor understanding of common road rules and main roads even though the Uber app GPS maps your trip. One driver insisted I gave him 5 stars after he almost caused an accident at an intersection.

Sounds like you caught a Melbourne cab.... ;)

I'd look a little beyond app technologies and the 'sharing economy' to the inevitable automation of transport and most of the service industry and the rapid acceleration of the consolidation or inequality of wealth that will accompany it. I don't think we're going to be like Star Trek with these automation technologies benefiting all equally but at least someone has to program the robots for a while.

So do you think there will be an app that takes care of all the thousands of good people put out of work by companies like uber.

Why do you put the blame on Uber? Uber did not put people out of work, the taxi industry put people out of work. You can't continually provide horrible service (I speak for Melbourne only) and expect people not to seek alternative options. They put themselves in this position by using an out-dated business model that was no longer appropriate. They abused their power of having a monopoly in order to screw the customers over as much as possible. Had they changed their business models to reflect new advances in technologies and expectations of appropriate service, then Uber would not have been able to grab the market share that it has.

As for the people who have 'invested' in taxi licenses, that was entirely their own decisions. Investments of any kind should not be done without in depth research and thought about the future of that investment. Investments go bad all the time and people lose money. There is always a risk. Whilst I do sympathize, you cannot blame Uber for your bad investment decisions.

• Like 2

I was sitting in my car mechanic's shop recently, picking up the car. His shop is in an alleyway behind a house near me. It was built around 150 years ago and the shop originally would have been stables. You might see where this is going.

He brought up electric cars, he had been having a conversation with his son about their range, and that it would be years before they'd be common on the roads, before they would properly take over from petrol/diesel engines.

I told him that 100 years ago there were two guys sitting in the exact same spot where we were, looking at a pair of horses.

The point is, for every industry that declines due technological, trend or legislative change, other opportunities arise.

Unfortunately there are always people who will be caught on the wrong side of the transition. Usually the only option is to make the leap. There are exceptions, there are still saddle-makers around. But they have to be good. Actually, "exceptional".

I know quite a few women my age who invested a year or two in secretarial college.

40 years ago people were saying we'd all be working 5 hour weeks, because computers. We seem to be working more than ever.

• Like 2

We appointed a "mature" tech geek (aplogies Steve) this week to review FOH and provide the platform for moving it forward through the next 10 years.

Working "within" a network/business/industry can leave you blind. You need to position yourself for 2025 in 2015 even when you have no idea what that entails. Moreso.

• Like 1

In saying this I'll still use an uber over a cab.

I think the rating system could be a little different. I'm not sure how it works for the drivers but it's almost like ebay, where the driver can wait for a rating before they rate the customer.

The guy who works where I am staying drives for Uber. He says that the majority of the drivers are actually taxi drivers who have ditched the cabs because they can earn more. The trouble for the taxi companies is that they have such a bad reputation in this country after years of poor service. Even if they do sort out the contractual stuff, they will struggle to become competitive again.

I know the recycling industry is becoming more mechanised. Mechanics now use computers for diagnostics, won't be long until that is extended. There's new opportunities too.

Tesla Motors monitor the performance and health of their customers cars remotely, even provide automatic firmware updates. You can opt for an annual service but it doesn't affect your warranty if you decline.

The age old B&M shopfront retail industry with the onset of online shopping.

Great boost to the freight, credit card and web development industries though.

Which in turn has churned up great business for divorce lawyers!

I don't think we're going to be like Star Trek with these automation technologies benefiting all equally

40 years ago people were saying we'd all be working 5 hour weeks, because computers. We seem to be working more than ever.

Exactly. "Technology", along with the accompanying condensing / consolidation of many industries isn't neccesarily panacea. But I guess if there were machines which produced perfectly blended and rolled cigars each and every time, and I could buy these cigars, my wine, cars, etc direct from the producers, and cut out all the middle (wo)men, I'd be all for it.... smile.png

The video store in my neighbourhood finally (expected it a fair bit sooner) posted up that they are shutting up shop. It's hilarious because even in this day and age of Apple TV and iTunes we still frequent the video shop pretty often.

If you remember.... back in the day how massive video shops were and how much fun they were to visit as a kid or work in!

I still think there's a niche market for brick and mortar video stores, I know in NYC I used to visit some eccentric ones.

• Like 1

Wal-Mart stock dropped today more than it has in the last 15 years because of a projected profit slump. Talk about an outdated business model akin to the cabs. Walmart is a horrible horrible place to shop just to get cheap deals. I have used Amazon Prime for the past 5 years to do the majority of my shopping I would have done at these chain retail stores. There is no point to subject myself to the depressing surroundings of a Wal-Mart if I can get on my computer and get anything I need Same-Day or Next Day shipping for free.

You fail to mention the untold thousands who make good money working when they want to work with Uber with no upfront investment. And your insinuation that the product is somehow less than the current cab monopoly is as far from accurate as possible. Ask anyone who has used Uber and they will tell you the drivers are more friendly, the cars are clean, new(ish) and the rates are half what some cabs charge. I used one with a group of buddies this past weekend and the driver handed out waters and beer . . . for free. It's the quality of the product and the customer service that are making the cab companies go nuts. Gone are the days of treating the rider like crap and ripping them off at the same time.

P.S. Every driver uses GPS to direct them using the quickest route. Gone are the days of the run around and the cabbie jacking up the fare unbeknownst to the ignorant passenger.

So not only was he operating an illegal transport operation, he was also distributing alcohol without a license.

It's illegal to consume alcohol while on public transport, specifically in this case a taxi.

You might say that he wasn't selling the beer but he is also working out of a what do they call it, A RIDE SHARE APP.

Wouldn't this also mean that the ride should be free?

Can't you see that this is the problem. You have a highly regulated industry trying to compete against a totally unregulated industry that seems to be a law unto itself. Yes I agree that the taxi industry is over priced and has a reputation for bad service. I think a lot of this has come about because of the high price of running a taxi service. They cut corners when it comes to training drivers and tend to employ a lot of people who perhaps don't know to get from A to B like they did in times gone by.

You either cut the high costs on the taxi industry or you impose similar costs on uber. At the moment uber are not paying their way here. If I understand correctly they pay no taxes for operating in Australia and I'm not sure if their drivers are paying tax either.

Correct me if I'm wrong, I'm happy to learn.

I for one like the idea of a little chaos and lawlessness. Little triumphs of personal freedom like are part of what life should be. That Uber driver would get a big tip.

• Like 2

So not only was he operating an illegal transport operation, he was also distributing alcohol without a license.

It's illegal to consume alcohol while on public transport, specifically in this case a taxi.

You might say that he wasn't selling the beer but he is also working out of a what do they call it, A RIDE SHARE APP.

Wouldn't this also mean that the ride should be free?

Can't you see that this is the problem. You have a highly regulated industry trying to compete against a totally unregulated industry that seems to be a law unto itself. Yes I agree that the taxi industry is over priced and has a reputation for bad service. I think a lot of this has come about because of the high price of running a taxi service. They cut corners when it comes to training drivers and tend to employ a lot of people who perhaps don't know to get from A to B like they did in times gone by.

You either cut the high costs on the taxi industry or you impose similar costs on uber. At the moment uber are not paying their way here. If I understand correctly they pay no taxes for operating in Australia and I'm not sure if their drivers are paying tax either.

Correct me if I'm wrong, I'm happy to learn.

Since when is Uber an illegal transport operation? It's 100% legal where I live and this particualr driver has a commercial license that allows him to provide drinks in his large brand new SUV, no different than a Limo. If you own your car you have the FREEDOM to work for whomever you want. Some of these people driver for Lyft, Uber or whomever. They move from platform to platform on a whim. It provides the consumer with choice, which cab companies don't want them to have. They set up all of these rules and regulations to protect their business model and Uber figured out a way to blow it all up to provide that choice to the consumer. Good on them.

The tax issue is for the government to figure out. If Uber drivers are making money in AUS then they will pay income tax. If Uber has no operation in AUS and all it's profits flow to the USA, then you're right, they probably don't pay income tax in AUS because they have no physical presence in the country. It's up to the Government to make the Uber business model legal or illegal or force a modification if it doesn't meet their laws. Just outright banning it because it's upset the Cab industry is not acceptable, especially considering the overwhelming loathing for Cabs all around the world.

And be honest, all of you, you would love to be able to hire a car to take you from point A to B in style while drinking and having a good time. Limos I have hired in the past charged in excess of $80-$100 per hour with a minimum 4-5 hours required for their service. My Uber driver, with all the proper licenses, cost us less than $20 one-way to provide that same service. You can see why transport companies have their panties in a bunch!!!

• Like 1

Technically, Uber is illegal in NSW according to the Passenger Transport Act, unless that driver has the appropriate licences/permits. Depending on whether drivers are paid directly by the passenger or through Uber, they may need a valld ABN and collect GST.

Wal-Mart stock dropped today more than it has in the last 15 years because of a projected profit slump. Talk about an outdated business model akin to the cabs. Walmart is a horrible horrible place to shop just to get cheap deals. I have used Amazon Prime for the past 5 years to do the majority of my shopping I would have done at these chain retail stores. There is no point to subject myself to the depressing surroundings of a Wal-Mart if I can get on my computer and get anything I need Same-Day or Next Day shipping for free.

But then you miss all of the insane people-watching available at any local Walmart. Sometimes I think walmart manufactures many of the people that shop in its stores. I mean, you never see some of these folks elsewhere... please refer to the People of Walmart website if you have no clue what I'm talking about.

For me, I am thrilled to see a certain large cable TV and Internet provider getting ready to be supplanted by Hulu, Netflix, HBO, et al. For years, they overcharged, provided shoddy service, engaged in aggressive account management practices, and shoved awful television channels down our collective throat as part of a few non-customizable plans. Now, we can subscribe to what we want directly from a market that is becoming more and more decentralized. Technology may, in fact, be an organic entity that is capable of forcing social evolution. Whether that's for better or worse will be seen.