Outgrowing two wineadors... what's next?

planetary

Success! Delivery went smoothly, and the THC system is getting started up now.

post-25409-0-05522700-1453848663_thumb.j

post-25409-0-93871900-1453848664_thumb.j

post-25409-0-37450800-1453848662_thumb.j

post-25409-0-35711700-1453848657_thumb.j

post-25409-0-52987600-1453848658_thumb.j

post-25409-0-73696500-1453848659_thumb.j

post-25409-0-67899800-1453848660_thumb.j

post-25409-0-47074100-1453848661_thumb.j

Thanks to all here for the recommendations and pointers! Can't wait to get the cigars loaded up after acclimation (should be about a week, per instructions).

• Like 4

I hear Aristocrat is great. I also hear if you can afford it buy double what you think you need. Having said that if you can afford that then it should be no worry donating the wineadors to poor distressed less fortunate brothers.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Notes after a couple weeks of seasoning and transplanting the cigars.

• Do not blind trust the calibration of the control unit. Mine was off by 7% RH. Temp was spot on.
  • It took over a week for RH to stabilize, which is a bit longer than the instructions given ("3 to 5 days"), but well in the range of what I'd expect.
  • With a unit of this size, you need to play with box placement a fair bit to make sure that you are minimizing RH and temp variation within the cabinet. I'm still refining this a bit, but it's not hard to do if you respect the open space toward the rear and around the fans.
  • I initially tried to arrange boxes alphabetically by brand, but I believe I will abandon this as foolish. Since humidity settles toward the bottom, I expect to locate NC toward the bottom, and loose sticks (and open boxes most likely to be consumed) toward the top.
  • I've selected 65F / 62%RH as the initial conditions, and will adjust from there.
  • I moved 2 full NewAir wineadors + 2 40qt coolidors into this. Though it looks full-ish, I tried to spread things out and it looks more full than it is.
  • I'm ready to jettison some poor quality boxes and a volume of loose NC sticks (mostly in those 4 shelves + ziploc bags) obtained before I found FOH. Until then -- they are in here consuming space. Why not?
  • I found found that I can hear an audible "click" every minute or two. Perhaps it's the result of timing from the electronics? Not sure.
  • Overall noise isn't that bad. My desk is currently *right* next to it. Can definitely hear when the main cooling or humidification activated. Noticeable, but not annoying.
  • I remain impressed with the quality of the construction and materials.

I'm most satisfied with the purchase and I'm sleeping much better knowing my (growing...) investments are resting well.

post-25409-0-57450800-1454803869_thumb.j

• Like 2

Planetary, we covered it in another thread but humidity rises, it's less dense than dry air so the top of your humidor will be more humid than the bottom.

The difference might be negligible, but that's science.

But absolutely stunning unit and nice collection!

• Like 1

Planetary, we covered it in another thread but humidity rises, it's less dense than dry air so the top of your humidor will be more humid than the bottom.

The difference might be negligible, but that's science.

But absolutely stunning unit and nice collection!

Thank you!

I recall the thread you mention. It's not been my usual experience that humidity increases with altitude. I do understand the concept, however I am purely empirical, reporting the readings of my 4 Boveda-calibrated hygrometers. ...That said -- probably all readings are suspect in the first few weeks (at least!) of a humidor's active use -- especially one with a 100% wood interior.

I look forward to many months and years of data. :)

• 2 months later...

Do/will you use multiple hygrometers in the unit? I'd be curious how well the theory of humidity compares to the displayed humidity.

In my tall slender Staebell (think phone booth) my RH always runs a point or two higher in the bottom than the top.

• Like 1