007 - perhaps not going yet

Ken Gargett

Daniel Craig refuses to rule out leaving role of James Bond

English actor says he is enjoying the part ‘right now’ as Spectre picks up rave reviews and bookmakers suspend betting on the possibility of a new 007

59afe303-f893-4957-8536-c66024188978-206‘This is what’s going on at the moment. I’m enjoying this’ ... Daniel Craig. Photograph: Friday 23 October 2015 18.48 AEDT

Last modified on Friday 23 October 2015 19.24 AEDT

Daniel Craig has denied suggestions he is ready to step down as James Bond, telling the BBC he has not yet made a decision on his future as 007.

Craig fuelled speculation he might make way for another actor earlier this month after telling Time Out he would rather “slash my wrists” than shoot a follow-up to the imminently released Spectre, which has drawn rapturous reviews and is out in the UK on Monday. Bookmaker William Hill said on Thursday that it had suspended betting on the 47-year-old British actor leaving the role of the suave super-spy following the

Spectre review: James Bond is back, stylish, camp and sexily pro-Snowden

Daniel Craig has grown into the role of the British spy with flair and sang-froid and this inventive, intelligent and complex new outing showcases him brilliantly
Read more

But Craig told the BBC’s Lizo Mzimba he may have spoken too soon. “I’m quite straightforward and I say things when I feel it and then I change my mind,” he said. “I’m just like everybody else. People latch onto things. There’s not a lot I can do about that.”

Craig said taking a producer’s credit on Spectre for the first time had made the experience a “high point” of his four-film career as Bond. He said he accepted the gruelling nature of the job.

Sorry, your browser is unable to play this video.
“I knew when I accepted the role that it would turn my life upside down and it did. There’s no getting away from it. I’m still enjoying it much more than I ever did because I’ve been allowed to bring what I know to the role. I’ve been involved with every aspect of film-making.”
81b3af1e-2331-4935-bcb3-0861b6ef1bc5-206
Yes, there are brands to be seen in the latest Bond film but, unlike some past 007 outings, retail showboating does not trip up the action
Read more

But asked if he had made a decision about continuing as Bond, Craig said: “No – this is what’s going on at the moment. I’m enjoying this.”

In a separate interview with BBC Radio One, the actor revealed the toll which Bond films take on his loved ones.

“I’m away from home for eight months. There’s no other way of doing it. My family hate me,” he said. “They’re just starting to forgive me now.”

He also revealed Mendes only finished the edit for Spectre on Saturday. “It’s one of the wettest prints there’s been, because we release it on Monday,” said the actor.

Spectre stars Craig opposite double Oscar-winner Christoph Waltz, as the villainous Franz Oberhauser. The cast also features newcomers Monica Bellucci and Léa Seydoux, plus the returning Ralph Fiennes (as the new M), Naomie Harris (Moneypenny) and Ben Whishaw (Q). Studios Sony and MGM will be hoping the film can challenge recent Bond outing Skyfall, which made $1.1bn in 2012, for the mantle of highest-grossing film of the long-running spy saga and the UK’s highest-grossing film of all time.

I look forward to seeing both Monica Belluci and Lea Seydoux. When Daniel Craig was announced as the next Bond back in '05, I had my doubts. Now I think he might just be one of the better "Bonds". He's no Sean Connery, though ;-)

• Like 1

I hope this movie doesn't have too much of this "Bond you are just an old relic of the past", "your type isn't needed in this new world" etc. There's been too much of this in recent movies and it's tiring.

Well that shouldn't hapen any longer considering Judy Dench is now out of the franchise and AMEN to that! ;)

craig? worst ever?

must say i think he is a serious challenger to connery. leaves brosnan and moore et al in the dust.

I agree and if I HAD to really pick between Connery and Craig, for me, Craig just pips Connery. And that's a hard statement to make for me.

• 2 months later...

Opening the “James Bond File”

james-bond-logo-585x306.jpg

Have you ever wondered how government agencies react to seeing their employees portrayed in big-bucks movies? It’s an intriguing question. And so is the answer. In 2015, under the terms of the Freedom of Information Act, the FBI declassified its file on the creator of the world’s most famous secret-agent: James Bond, 007. We’re talking about none other than author Ian Fleming. The 25-page file makes for eye-opening, interesting, and entertaining reading.

An FBI document dated January 23, 1964 – and prepared by J. Edgar Hoover himself, for the Los Angeles and Miami offices of the FBI – states that one Harry Saltzman “…today contacted a representative of the Department of Defense in Washington requesting the use of military aircraft in connection with a movie based on the Pocket Book entitled quote Goldfinger unquote by Ian Fleming. Stated FBI would be depicted in movie in favorable manner.” And who, you may ask, was Harry Saltzman? None other than one of the leading figures in the production of such James Bond movies as Dr. No, From Russia With Love, You Only Live Twice, Live And Let Die, and The Man With The Golden Gun.

harry_saltzman_and_ian_fleming-570x321.p

Ian Fleming and Harry Saltzman

The dossier on Fleming and his work continues: “Bufiles contain no derogatory information concerning Saltzman. Fleming is writer of paperback novels concerning spy stories in which his fictional character, James Bond, is the star, and they are generally filled with sex and bizarre situations. Los Angeles is instructed to advise the Bureau regarding any information in their possession regarding this proposed movie.”
Hoover added: “Miami is instructed to contact Saltzman who is residing at the Fontainebleau Hotel and vigorously protest any mention of FBI or portrayal of its agents in his proposed movie. You should bring forcefully to his attention the provisions of Public Law Six Seventy which prohibits the use of the words quote Federal Bureau of Investigation unquote or its initials in any manner without my written permission.” Clearly, Hoover was far from happy with the plans for Goldfinger.
The files show that a fair bit of background research into Saltzman and Fleming was undertaken: “Bufiles reflect one Harry Saltzman, a photographer for the ‘Saturday Evening Post,’ came to the Bureau in July 1951, and took several pictures in the Laboratory for use in illustrating a highjacking article in which we were cooperating. It was not possible to determine from our files if this photographer is identical with captioned individual.”
And then there’s this about Fleming’s books: “His stories are generally filled with beautiful women presenting themselves to [bond] in scanty attire…It was reported in ‘Life’ magazine in August, 1962, that President Kennedy was one of [Fleming’s] most avid readers.”

The FBI also noted: “Our files reflect that one Ian Fleming was at one time associated with the British Intelligence Service, and in 1953 was allegedly engaged in planning for the successful theft of a Russian MIG plane which was flown from Poland to Denmark. Limited descriptive data in the reference failed to establish whether he was identical to captioned writer.” For the record, they were indeed one and the same.

There was also the following: “The type of book written by Fleming is certainly not the type where we would want any mention of the FBI or a portrayal of FBI agents, no matter how favorable they might look in the movie.”

7ac65b369b56d00ac4ce107f92a83693-goldfin

Summaries of the script for Goldfinger also appear in the file, as does the revelation that on January 23 1964, Harry Saltzman was visited at his place of residence in Miami Beach, Florida, by FBI agents. Files state that Saltzman was told the FBI “vigorously protests” any kind of Bureau-themed portrayal in the movie.
Saltzman, when faced with Public Law 670, reported the FBI, “…said his representative is [deleted], United Artists, 729 7th Ave., New York City, telephone Circle 5-6000 and that he was going to immediately contact [deleted] concerning this contact and to furnish him a copy of Public Law 670 for his knowledge. Saltzman said [deleted] would undoubtedly put into motion the proper procedure at the correct high level of contact to resolve this matter in the immediate future because of huge investment made in connection with the movie.”
A few semi-related documents aside, it seems that the FBI had no further involvement in the matter. This suggests J. Edgar Hoover’s finest were satisfied with the outcome – of both the situation and of the completed movie version of Goldfinger itself. As for us, we get to peek into a world in which movie-moguls and agents of government occasionally cross paths.