SB tuna spearfishing record

Bill Hayes

Insane....would love to see the size of the gun he is using ..I use a Rob Allen 1400 rail gun and a esclapez concept for smaller stuff . I can hardly load the Rob Allen by myself and I can't help but think it would just bounce off that big Bluefin.

Plenty to share around from that big sucker ...crazy ..party.gif

• Like 3

He used a Sea Sniper bluewater gun. 4 or 5 rubbers. I think the gun would be about 150 to 170cms. The guys swear by Sea Sniper for bluewater for accuracy and they have hollowed out channels running down the stock so it fills with water for extra ballast. I have a traditional Riffe bluewater express with 4 rubbers. It's about 180cms with spear loaded. I also have a rest tab on the spear so I can load each rubber half way before fully loading. Don't have much cause to use it anymore. Usually just paddle about with a 100cm gun hunting king george whiting now. LOL. The 1400 Rob Allen is a good gun and could take that fish if shot placement was good, no problem. I don't think I could load the 1400 either being a shortass. I have trouble with my 130 Torelli with a 20mm rubber. At the end of the day it's all about good diving, not the gun. The guy who took this fish is a very good diver with a good breathe hold and quite experienced.

• 6 months later...

I run a 1150 Alemanni Carbon Fibre roller gun with inversion rubbers.

Phenomenal power and zero recoil due to the inversion technology.

Their bigger Blue Water guns are off the hook !

http://www.alemanni-sub.com/en/products/blue-water-express-cm-130-140-oceanic-double-roller

They are an outstanding product...perhaps even the best guns in the world according to some.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

3 hours ago, StingMeadery said:

I run a 1150 Alemanni Carbon Fibre roller gun with inversion rubbers.

Phenomenal power and zero recoil due to the inversion technology.

Their bigger Blue Water guns are off the hook !

http://www.alemanni-sub.com/en/products/blue-water-express-cm-130-140-oceanic-double-roller

They are an outstanding product...perhaps even the best guns in the world according to some.

I've never tried a roller gun mate. Are they complicated to set up and load? The bluewater guns look good. I would definitely run a breakaway set up with two floats and slip tip though so I wouldn't lose the gun or bend the spear. They look pricey. I see you are from NZ. That 1150 would probably act like a 130cm euro style gun. Do you get out after the kingfish and snapper? I went on a trip to the 3 Kings Islands in NZ. Still one of my most memorable trips. All the best with you spearing and diving mate. Cheers.

• Like 1

I've never tried a roller gun mate. Are they complicated to set up and load? The bluewater guns look good. I would definitely run a breakaway set up with two floats and slip tip though so I wouldn't lose the gun or bend the spear. They look pricey. I see you are from NZ. That 1150 would probably act like a 130cm euro style gun. Do you get out after the kingfish and snapper? I went on a trip to the 3 Kings Islands in NZ. Still one of my most memorable trips. All the best with you spearing and diving mate. Cheers.

Roller guns are really easy to load and you use a wrist lanyard with a little hook and typically hip load.

Once your used to it they are simple and fast...

• Like 1

I see you are from NZ. That 1150 would probably act like a 130cm euro style gun. Do you get out after the kingfish and snapper? I went on a trip to the 3 Kings Islands in NZ. Still one of my most memorable trips. All the best with you spearing and diving mate. Cheers.

Yeah hit some nice Kingfish and Snapper in the last month.

Check out me new thread "Spearfishing Greatest Hits" on this page

• Like 1

1 hour ago, StingMeadery said:

Yeah hit some nice Kingfish and Snapper in the last month.

Check out me new thread "Spearfishing Greatest Hits" on this page emoji39.png

Yep, meant to post my pics to that thread not this one.