Hateful E8ght

Fosgate

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Looks like a mix of Django Unchained(2012) meets Billy the Kid.......... is it me or is Samuel L. Jackson in EVERYTHING........... yes.gif

I know and tell you the truth, it's becoming too much IMO to see Jackson everywhere.

Kind of like Anthony Hopkins was in everything a few years back.

• Like 1

Seen it and it's brilliant!

Again Mika, I 100% concur. In fact, I've been thinking about this film for a few days now, specifically in regards to the distinct Tarantino references in it. In the final act I see Reservoir Dogs, and just as we never see the heist in that film, do we ever see Red Rock? (This is an obvious homage to directors like Stanley Kubrick with The Killing or Yasijuro Ozu with Late Spring or Tokyo Story through using ellipsis as a narrative device.)

Quentin Tarantino has an obvious passion for Spaghetti Westerns and Sergio Leone's, The Good, the Bad and the Ugly is in fact his favourite film of all time. The Mexican standoff at the end of that film, where the three main characters are pointing guns at each other is referenced in every Tarantino film. I also admire setting The Hateful Eight in the freezing snow of Wyoming, which is a reference to Sergio Corbucci's The Great Silence, another film Tarantino values as a Western.

• Like 1

I saw the 70mm roadshow this past week. It was a special experience, but the stretched out aspect ratio really didn't make a dramatic difference.

The movie itself, I can only describe as a true Tarantino flick. It has the feel of Reservoir Dogs, but longer and as a Western. I'd highly recommend this film, especially if you are a Tarantino fan or nolstalgic film fan.

Again Mika, I 100% concur. In fact, I've been thinking about this film for a few days now, specifically in regards to the distinct Tarantino references in it. In the final act I see Reservoir Dogs, and just as we never see the heist in that film, do we ever see Red Rock? (This is an obvious homage to directors like Stanley Kubrick with The Killing or Yasijuro Ozu with Late Spring or Tokyo Story through using ellipsis as a narrative device.)

Quentin Tarantino has an obvious passion for Spaghetti Westerns and Sergio Leone's, The Good, the Bad and the Ugly is in fact his favourite film of all time. The Mexican standoff at the end of that film, where the three main characters are pointing guns at each other is referenced in every Tarantino film. I also admire setting The Hateful Eight in the freezing snow of Wyoming, which is a reference to Sergio Corbucci's The Great Silence, another film Tarantino values as a Western.

The Good The bad and The Ugly is one of my own favourite films also and quite honestly, as much as tarantino admires the direction etc of that movie, he should try coming up with his own recipe perse and perhaps sometimes get other actors in them versus the recycling of actors from his other films being shown repeatedly.. Samuel L Jackson is being re-used over and over again.

I also like your comments John, spot on mate.

• Like 2

Appears great. But I'll never watch it. Can't stand Q's anti-cop sentiments. Just my personal vote to not provide a loon like him with my couple bucks and undermine good, hard-working law enforcement officers who he generalizes as murderers rather than the heroes they usually are.

• Like 1

Appears great. But I'll never watch it. Can't stand Q's anti-cop sentiments. Just my personal vote to not provide a loon like him with my couple bucks and undermine good, hard-working law enforcement officers who he generalizes as murderers rather than the heroes they usually are.

Hateful One

Sent from my iPhone

Gotta say, as much as I don't like Bill Maher. I agree with this interview. Several friends in law enforcement even now acknowledge there is a problem and that attitudes have become more prevalent on both sides. None have any regrets about becoming a cop, but they all say they would not make the choice to become one in today's day and age.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/quentin-tarantino-police_563e677ce4b0b24aee4a9366

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished watching this...

Sublime. Just sublime. I thought walton goggins performance stole the show. Samuel L is always magical when acting to a tarantino script so no complaints from me about his 6th contribution

I urge anybody but most of all tartantino fans to go and watch this film. Outstanding work!

• Like 1

I quite enjoyed the film. It's a shame that Tarantino didn't go with a cast that we hadn't seen him use before - at least for most of the main characters. My only real gripe is that he rolled out that New Zealand actress from Deathproof for no good reason whatsoever. A strange obsession with down under which made no sense. It's as though he has to explain her in both films. For me, it all felt like a bit of an indulgence but a good one. If we had seen this Tarantino film first before any others we would be hailing it an absolute masterpiece. So, I guess he's his own worst enemy in that respect. The Good The Bad and The Ugly is my favourite film. It has scale. This film is dialogue driven and intimate, saving on location costs and maybe spending it on the cast perhaps to make a healthy profit. He got my $25. But I'm happy to hand it over. I see though that he has moved on from his female foot fetish. I don't think I saw one shot of a woman's foot hanging out a car window or walking across a bathroom floor or dancing the jitterbug or wiggling big toes or slipping a shoe onto to see if it fits. Well worth a look though. I guess it's a compliment to expect so much.

I absolutely loved it. I thought it was an original story, and the acting was spot. Michael Madsen needs to kiss QT's ass, if it wasn't for him he wouldn't have work.

I thought everyone did great in their roles......I really didn't expect Walton Goggins to have such a big role. I didn't mind Zoe Bell, I thought she was very bubbly & entertaining & OMG how about Jennifer Jason Leigh? Me & my friend were talking about her in this role....we don't think any other actress could have pulled this off as well as she did, and it was NOT a glamorous role LOL.

My only complaint is the big reveal.......I wished that would have happened a bit later, Idk.....just seemed like it came too suddenly.

Well it seems like this one is worth watching. Now to find the time....

The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly was the first movie I remember watching with my dad. That one will always be a special movie to me and it doesn't hurt that it is a great movie!

• Like 2

As unbelievably awesome i thought this film was...

My worst criticism is that of michael madsen being cast.

He is awful in this film and the scent of a washed up disconnected actor really comes through.

This was the guy who went on celebrity big brother uk a few years ago because he was so broke and short for work.

It sounds harsh, but i also know after reservoir dogs he turned down the role of vincent vega in pulp fiction to star in a western.

Big mistake

• Like 1

The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly was the first movie I remember watching with my dad. That one will always be a special movie to me and it doesn't hurt that it is a great movie!

You and me both. Sentiments aside as I too watched The Good The Bad and The Ugly with my father, but that movie has stood the test of time. It is epic in every sense, music, direction, acting... I only just watched it again a few days ago.

• Like 1

You and me both. Sentiments aside as I too watched The Good The Bad and The Ugly with my father, but that movie has stood the test of time. It is epic in every sense, music, direction, acting... I only just watched it again a few days ago.

I watched it as a kid on the recommendation of my uncle when it used to play periodically on Saturday Nights on free-to-air television in the 1980's. For those of you who can recall, Bill Collins used to present a double feature on Channel Ten nationally in Australia from 1980 to 1994 called, "The Golden Years of Hollywood". Clint Eastwood was his favourite actor, hence why The Good, The Bad and The Ugly was in high rotation.

http://www.museum.tv/eotv/collinsbill.htm

I recently purchased the Blu-ray when JB Hi-fi had a post-christmas sale, just to listen to Sir Christopher Frayling's audio commentary. (Frayling wrote an expert biography on director Sergio Leone's life, he also contributed commentaries to Leone's other films...A Fistful of Dollars, For a Few Dollars More, Once Upon a Time in the West and A Fistful of Dynamite, also known as Duck, You Sucker!)

Incidentally, I was having a conversation with a fellow who caught the movie in 70mm at the George St Cinema last week in Sydney. If you have the chance, catch this film in glorious 2:76:1, like the epic films of the 1950's. This Roadshow release is 6 minutes longer and has a 12-minute intermission like in the old days, so the projectionist can change the reels. It's still playing at the Hayden Orpheum in Cremorne and The Ritz at Randwick, but only for a limited time.

• Like 1