ask jerry jones...

Love it. But to be fair to Jerry, every owner is willing to hire people who would be unhirable under normal situatiosn. Which is stupid and sad. But that's the NFL for ya.

#WhoIsJerryJones ???

i loved the oscar P one.

J, jerry jones is the owner/GM of the dallas cowgirls. and as such is hated by all right thinking, decent humans on the planet (actually, he is the one person associated with dallas i really don't mind because having him around does give other sides a better chance to beat them).

and yes, there is a fair bit of log-in-your-own-eye with this as dan synder may not be the ultimate pin-up when it comes to team owners.

• Like 2

I'm a lifelong Giants fan and I don't need any reason to despise the Cowboys anymore, but this guy is a buffoon. This idiot would sign anyone to win. Here is the sad truth, if anyone on your list in jail or not, was an upgrade to his current players, he would sign them.

Should be no surprise anymore for the conduct of payers on teams across the NFL, (Vikings, Adrian Peterson) (Ravens, Ray Rice), (Bears, Sam Hurd) and then just dirty players like Detroits, Suh. (oh and Rams WR Baily was shot just last night). I would more suspect the other teams are jealous.

• Like 1

i loved the oscar P one.

J, jerry jones is the owner/GM of the dallas cowgirls. and as such is hated by all right thinking, decent humans on the planet (actually, he is the one person associated with dallas i really don't mind because having him around does give other sides a better chance to beat them).

and yes, there is a fair bit of log-in-your-own-eye with this as dan synder may not be the ultimate pin-up when it comes to team owners.

He's also hated because he had this bad habit of going down to the sidelines towards the end of the game and pacing/interfering. No wonder he couldn't hire people like Bill Parcells to coach for him. Owners should pay the bills and stay out of the way. That's why you hire a GM.

Love it. But to be fair to Jerry, every owner is willing to hire people who would be unhirable under normal situatiosn. Which is stupid and sad. But that's the NFL for ya.

There is truth to this, but in my opinion, he crossed a major line by signing Hardy.

• Like 1

I've no comment on Jones other than he is what he is. But I've been thinking about this for a bit, and it's not directly related to Hardy and Dallas - do members feel a person should lose their job ( possibly not be hired as well ) due to something that happens outside of work? Domestic altercation ( and please, I'm not making light ), driving under the influence, spending time in prison, etc.......

I've no comment on Jones other than he is what he is. But I've been thinking about this for a bit, and it's not directly related to Hardy and Dallas - do members feel a person should lose their job ( possibly not be hired as well ) due to something that happens outside of work? Domestic altercation ( and please, I'm not making light ), driving under the influence, spending time in prison, etc.......

i know a lot of wine companies will sack anyone going under the influence. suspect it depends a bit what the job is and the offence. if it is seen to reflect on the organisation, there might be a case.

In any work environment as CEO/Owner, a large part of your responsibility is to build a team culture. That culture includes many core values but respect (to one another in the team) is a key one.

Few people in this world have a clean sheet. We are human afterall. However, prior issues such as domestic vioilence, assault, theft etc is something I would not want to introduce into the team. Outside of that it is a case by case basis.

• Like 2

In any work environment as CEO/Owner, a large part of your responsibility is to build a team culture. That culture includes many core values but respect (to one another in the team) is a key one.

Few people in this world have a clean sheet. We are human afterall. However, prior issues such as domestic vioilence, assault, theft etc is something I would not want to introduce into the team. Outside of that it is a case by case basis.

then again, D doesn't have to face eli manning twice a year.

Come on, they have been crossing those lines for years. Hardy is small time to what they have signed in the past.

Well, yeah, they've been doing it for years, Pacman Jones and Tank Johnson, to name a couple. Hardy is the worst of the worst, who belongs in prison right now. If not for a stupid arcane Carolina law, that is where he would be.

Well, yeah, they've been doing it for years, Pacman Jones and Tank Johnson, to name a couple. Hardy is the worst of the worst, who belongs in prison right now. If not for a stupid arcane Carolina law, that is where he would be.

for the NRL comp here, the NRL itself, the body which effectively rules the game, would soon say who was or who was not eligible. so in hardy's case, they may say, right, you are out for two years. that takes it from the clubs. i know there is something similar in the NFL but i think this goes further and takes it away from the clubs. which is a better way of doing it, i think.

Sporting News ranked Jones as the worst of the 32 general managers in the NFL: “an ongoing disaster that has doomed America’s most valuable franchise to mediocrity.”

As owner, Jones has every right to be the Cowboys’ general manager. But it hasn’t worked for 18 years. That’s a sad thing, both for Dallas fans and for Jones himself.

Jones bought the Cowboys in 1989 and installed Jimmy Johnson, his former teammate from the University of Arkansas football team, as head coach. Johnson built the Cowboys from a 1-15 record to a pair of Super Bowl wins in 1993 and 1994. At which point Jones, upset that Johnson was getting too much credit, told the press that anyone could have coached the Cowboys to those Super Bowl wins. Jones then fired Johnson and named himself general manager.

After a 1996 Super Bowl win under Coach Barry Switzer, the Cowboys fell into mediocrity. They’ve stayed there.

Forbes

True now, but there once was a time when the NFL would have shunned those 'bad as I wanna be' types. The league felt it was incumbent upon them to set a positive example (at least publicly, there was still plenty of private antics but as long as it stayed private that was o.k.).

for the NRL comp here, the NRL itself, the body which effectively rules the game, would soon say who was or who was not eligible. so in hardy's case, they may say, right, you are out for two years. that takes it from the clubs. i know there is something similar in the NFL but i think this goes further and takes it away from the clubs. which is a better way of doing it, i think.

The problem is that player discipline is collectively bargained with the players' union. In Hardy's case, the league initially suspended him for the first 10 games of this season (a pretty severe penalty by NFL standards). The suspension was reduced to just 4 games by an arbitrator, for reasons mostly owing to the collective bargaining agreement. The CBA allows the commissioner to unilaterally impose discipline to protect "the integrity of the game." But as we saw with deflategate, discipline can be appealed first to arbitration, and then to federal courts, where the league generally loses (as of late).

The owners and the league would love to be able to just outright ban these clowns. Jerry Jones probably would prefer to never hear Greg Hardy's name ever again. There is no shortage of labor in the NFL, and nobody is worth the negative publicity. But they can't legally ban these guys, and they don't have the stomach to collude to blackball players with value. So Jerry figures if he doesn't sign this guy, someone else will. Of course he's right. He gets a guy who produces on a team/cap friendly contract. As LBJ said of Hoover, it's better to have him inside your tent pissing out, than outside pissing in.

The problem is that player discipline is collectively bargained with the players' union. In Hardy's case, the league initially suspended him for the first 10 games of this season (a pretty severe penalty by NFL standards). The suspension was reduced to just 4 games by an arbitrator, for reasons mostly owing to the collective bargaining agreement. The CBA allows the commissioner to unilaterally impose discipline to protect "the integrity of the game." But as we saw with deflategate, discipline can be appealed first to arbitration, and then to federal courts, where the league generally loses (as of late).

The owners and the league would love to be able to just outright ban these clowns. Jerry Jones probably would prefer to never hear Greg Hardy's name ever again. There is no shortage of labor in the NFL, and nobody is worth the negative publicity. But they can't legally ban these guys, and they don't have the stomach to collude to blackball players with value. So Jerry figures if he doesn't sign this guy, someone else will. Of course he's right. He gets a guy who produces on a team/cap friendly contract. As LBJ said of Hoover, it's better to have him inside your tent pissing out, than outside pissing in.

understand.

what will be really interesting is that i understand hardy is a free agent end of the season. does jerry grab him again?

understand.

what will be really interesting is that i understand hardy is a free agent end of the season. does jerry grab him again?

He's said on more than one occasion that he'd like to offer Hardy a contract extension. That was earlier in the season, and he's cut back a bit on his public support for Hardy in recent weeks. Hardy continues to do and say things that put a negative spotlight on the Cowboys, and Jerry's patience seems to be wearing a bit thin. If Hardy can keep his mouth shut and avoid any more negative attention for the remainder of this season (which is all but over for Dallas now), I think Jerry will pay him an obscene amount of money.