La Escepcion Don José Regional Italia 2015

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Italians do it better

Ugh.. Do not buy! No beuno! Don Jose? No Way Jose! Seriously..do not buy.....until I've grabbed a box or two to sample from.....

Did someone mention Don Jose?? Just smoking one now

16 minutes ago, JLFIRST said:

I had my first right after release, no good. I let them rest and gave it a go again. Still not doing well so I sold them to a friend who wanted the box.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

It's still a young cigar which I think will be very enjoyable in the next couple of years. However, I will say that it was not overly complex and glad that I only bought one box

Oh yeah, agreed. Still very young but just wasn't for me. I'll take a QdO RE French Beli over them for great flavors anytime. This is why cigars are so wonderful. We can agree to disagree about one but still find common ground. I really couldn't justify the price after it went crazy! Especially when it was not that complex. I'm glad I got mine right at release for a good price and was able to pass that along to my buddy.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bohn007 said:

It's still a young cigar which I think will be very enjoyable in the next couple of years.

As I've wrote previously (in this thread), I couldn't detect anything in this cigar that would make it a good candidate for ageing. If I had more of them I'd smoke them in 2017, and I'd keep a fiver that I'd let age just to see if I was wrong…

Not just your opinion

Says on the jar 25. They are nowhere near as good as the Selectos Finos were and never will be. Enjoyable for me, though.

As someone who went to the trouble, and expense, to acquire several boxes because I loved the Selectos Finos so much (and only got 1 box) I can attest to the fact the Don Jose is no Selectos Finos.  They are a Robusto with a different blend and from what I have smoked are an extremely good cigar.  What I enjoy about them, aside from the excellent quality, is that they are different from the rest of the Habanos lineup.  In that way they are unique, just like the Selectos Finos, and my other all-time Favorite the Ramon Allones Celestiales Finos.  I feel the Don Jose has the legs to age into something truly magnificent like the Celestiales Finos.  Remember, the Celestiales Finos were no blockbuster right off the bat.  They were almost too strong to smoke and took two full years to round into something truly special.  As a matter of fact they were available for purchase long after they were released, at least 2-3 years.  The Don Jose is not as "strong" as the RACF, but I see similarities in how the blend was conceived and for that reason I am excited to see where they will go.  

Anyone who doesn't enjoy them can DM me and I will be happy to take them off your hands :)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Orion21 said:

I can attest to the fact the Don Jose is no Selectos Finos.  They are a Robusto with a different blend

Now, someone who knows his stuff. 
Always got me wondering people comparing the Don José to the SF and expecting or even demanding them to be the same smoke....

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Still available in some shops. Just need to look out for them. Jar are maybe finished. I did not hear any still out.

• Like 1

Is it safe to conclude that the Don Jose didn't quite deliver the level of quality the Selectos Finos did? I didn't really see too many mixed reviews on the SF, but I did see quite a few for the DJ. Anyone smoke one lately? Updates after 18 months?

Still wouldn't dissuade me from picking up a few boxes. These will surely be hot commodities in a few more years. The SF are impossible to find and I expect these to start popping up at auction for north of $1,000 soon. And they may age magnificently.

They made twice as many DJ as SF so that alone will ensure longer availability. Add to that a more common vitola and a higher price and voila. I really like the DJ but the SF are still a notch above. I still sold my spare box when the price got crazy. Lowest I've seen lately was $950.