This looks scary. Vintage Cuban Dunhill band lot for sale. Unused

Saw this while browsing Ebay.

This could be bad news should some unscrupulous fellow fork out the money. Don't know if these are truly original or counterfeits. Either way, potentially troublesome.

post-6763-0-58916400-1448989953_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Saw this last week. Scary indeed. :(

Guess we need to watch out for 1000 fake Dunhills flooding the market! lookaround.gifno.gif

• Like 1

Scary - however these have last been in use 1991 acc to CCW - so at least one should be able to distinguish 25 old cigars from fresh ones (the putting on of these on a obviously fresh stick as in display lets expect which direction this is going to take....). If they are really going the extra mile to try and fake an aged Dunhill it's another story.....

- so at least one should be able to distinguish 25 old cigars from fresh ones (the putting on of these on a obviously fresh stick as in display lets expect which direction this is going to take....). If they are really going the extra mile to try and fake an aged Dunhill it's another story.....

A few years ago dozens of members of various american forums bought hundreds of fake Dunhills from 2 "reputable" guys from Chicago.

The fact the cigars were offered without their boxes, and several persons pulled the alarm, didn't change anything…

• Like 3

A few years ago dozens of members of various american forums bought hundreds of fake Dunhills from 2 "reputable" guys from Chicago.

The fact the cigars were offered without their boxes, and several persons pulled the alarm, didn't change anything…

Oooukay... surprised.gifhuh.png

I shouldn't be but I'm still surprised to hear that. One would think anyone who would be interested in vintage Dunhills in the first place would know what not to look for, especially in this day and age when any cigar band can be duplicated inexpensively with near perfection.

The fact the cigars were offered without their boxes, and several persons pulled the alarm, didn't change anything

A lot of people were stung by that. I remember some good forensic work done on differences in the bands.

Not to mention differences in the tobacco.

• Like 2

If enough people flag the listing, it gets taken off pretty quickly. The Oakley forum does it quite often for fake sunglasses, especially X Metals.

True. I also think that there's a little more pressure on eBay to remove fake listings for name-brand products when someone's got a financial interest and actual copyright issues.

In this case the product is also actually illegal to sell (if genuine) but that's not the concern. I hate to draw eBay's attention to any Cuban (or claimed) items for sale but in this case it's necessary.

I remember reading about this, long detailed thread with very detailed analysis of the sticks and labels uncovered the fakes. IIRC, those cigars were sold via PM, buddy to buddy, and wow did some people get taken to the cleaners. Depending on who you believe, the two 'main' guys selling them weren't the source, and either didn't know what the heck they were doing, or were complacent in the scam. What a mess.....and this won't help.

• Like 1

They're bands not cigars.

Sent from my 86" White Testarossa

I don't think that's the deal. Since smoking products are prohibited cigars must be sold as collectible "along with" the bands, which are actually the item for sale. So it's likely that he is attempting to peddle the cigars.

Same goes for liquor on eBay. You don't buy the actual liquor but the "collectible container" that it's in. The fact that it's an unopened container with liquid in it is supposed to be irrelevant even though we all know what's really going on.

I don't think that's the deal. Since smoking products are prohibited cigars must be sold as collectible "along with" the bands, which are actually the item for sale. So it's likely that he is attempting to peddle the cigars.

Same goes for liquor on eBay. You don't buy the actual liquor but the "collectible container" that it's in. The fact that it's an unopened container with liquid in it is supposed to be irrelevant even though we all know what's really going on.

Well that'd be pretty cheap for even JR or Thompson seconds let alone 'Dunhills'. Pretty sure it's just the bands.....

Well that'd be pretty cheap for even JR or Thompson seconds let alone 'Dunhills'. Pretty sure it's just the bands.....

You may be right--I didn't really do the math. That's $2/ "band" so it would be cheap I suppose. And why show them on a cigar if they're just the bands? Looks like an original photo of a cigar to me. Sketchy as hell. And who would want 1000 Dunhill bands anyway?

I still see pictures on social media of people smoking these thinking they are real.

The photos look like they were taken from Brooks website which itself is of a new band and fake cigar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk