FORMULA 1 - 2016

McLaren co-founder Tyler Alexander passes away aged 75

tyler-1280.jpg

Tyler Alexander, a 'founding father' of McLaren, has passed away at the age of 75, the Woking team confirmed on Thursday.
Alexander worked alongside founder Bruce McLaren on his CanAm and USAC efforts, but in 1963 he helped form the McLaren F1 Team. He quickly rose through the ranks to become a senior member for over two decades.
Whilst he left to focus on an IndyCar effort, he later returned to McLaren's Special Projects division, before finally retiring in 2009.
McLaren chairman Ron Dennis expressed his sadness over the loss of a McLaren legend: "Alongside Bruce McLaren, who founded the McLaren company in 1963, Tyler Alexander was one of the first pillars of our company – working hard alongside Bruce from the very earliest days – and Bruce couldn’t have asked for a sturdier pair of shoulders upon which to help build the team’s reputation.
"Tyler's expert yet practical expertise, coupled with his energetic and optimistic attitude, topped off by his infectiously dry and satirical sense of humour, made him both highly successful and hugely popular, whether he was overseeing car-builds in the team's workshop, running race-winning CanAm and Indy 500 crews, or working with some of the world’s greatest drivers and engineers in Formula 1.
"Quite simply, Tyler lived and breathed McLaren – and, following his retirement in late 2008, during which season he attended every grand prix and played an important part in securing the team's and Lewis Hamilton's world championship success, he remained a much loved and greatly valued chum to many of us, regularly visiting our Woking factory to catch up with pals old and new.
"Tyler's was a friendship that you could really rely upon; he was a man who would never let you down. In fact, Tyler was one of the finest of the old school: hardy, humble and wise, leaving a reputation and a legacy that will remain indelible in the history of international motorsport.
"So, on behalf of all at McLaren, I'd like to pay heartfelt tribute to one of our team’s founding fathers, and to offer our deepest condolences to his many friends and his ever-loving companion, Jane Nottage, who has always stood by him, valiant to the very end."

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

He screwed himself.  No one forced him to drive that aggressively onto the curb.  Did drivers get screwed by the wall in Monaco when they slam into it?  By qualifying everyone knew what the curbs were

Ha Ha

I thought it was a fairly entertaining race. McLaren had some speed, Alonso would would've been a p7 or 8 had he not had that horrific crash. Renault engines, when the work, look to have decent pace

BOTTAS: I HAVE NO SPECIAL PREFERENCE FOR FERRARI, WILLIAMS OR MERCEDES

W89P4268-1.jpg?resize=750%2C500

Williams driver Valtteri Bottas insists he is not intoxicated with the thought of joining Ferrariand admits he does not have any special preference regarding the Maranello team, Williams or Mercedes
Last year, the Finn was reportedly close to being signed by the fabled Maranello marque to replace Kimi Raikkonen, but the 2007 world champion ultimately kept his job.
Team boss Maurizio Arrivabene, however, warned this week that he wants “more competition” between Raikkonen and Sebastian Vettel in 2016, which can only be interpreted as a warning to the 36-year-old.
Bottas, who apparently came very close to concluding a deal for this year with Ferrar, admits he would be interested in joining the Italian team at some point.
“It is an iconic brand,” he told UOL Esporte, “not only inside formula one but outside of it as well. Everyone knows Ferrari is something great so of course it’s a very interesting team.”
“But I also remember watching the Williams cars as a child when they were winning races and titles. So I’m very happy to be a part of this historic team,” Bottas added.
Bottas, however, also has links to the dominant F1 team Mercedes, as its boss Toto Wolff is still involved with his personal management, and is a minor shareholder at Williams.
“As a driver,” Bottas confirmed, “I also respect Mercedes because they are winning, so for me I think you always want to be with the teams that have the fastest cars.
“I have no special preference regarding Ferrari, Williams or Mercedes,” he added. “They are all good teams. What you really look for as a driver is to have the fastest car.”

MONZA NOW CLOSE TO NEW SEVEN YEAR F1 DEAL

140110ita1.jpg?resize=750%2C500

A new contract to secure the future of the historic Italian grand prix at Monza is now close to being signed.
That was the claim late on Friday of Angelo Sticchi Damiani, the chief of the Italian automobile club (Aci).
A recent legislative tweak means the Aci can now take on the bulk of the responsibility for funding the fee payable to Bernie Ecclestone, which had earlier endangered the future of the race at the fabled Autodromo.
“The Autodromo di Monza has had difficult times,” Italian media on Friday quoted Sticchi Damiani as saying, “but the worse is over now.
“Today we are close to signing with Ecclestone in order to have the formula one grand prix in Brianza for another seven years,” he revealed.
“We are going to win the battle that led Aci to making tremendous sacrifices,” said the club’s president.

LAUDA BACK IN THE AIRLINE BUSINESS

NikiLauda_Cockpit.jpg?resize=750%2C501

Mercedes team chairman Niki Lauda has returned to the world of aviation, according to reports in the Austrian press on Friday.
Die Presse newspaper said it is the fourth airline foray for the F1 legend, commentator and Lauda having bought Vienna based Amira Air just before Christmas.
“(Owner) Ronny Pecik asked me if I’m interested. So I looked into it,” the 66-year-old said.
Media reports said Amira Air, an executive charter airline, has 12 aircraft and 70 staff.
“I want to develop it,” Lauda added. Previously, Lauda’s airlines were called ‘Lauda Air’ and ‘Niki’, so when asked if he intends to change the name, he answered: “I am still thinking about it.”
The reports said Lauda also intends to occasionally operate within the company as a pilot.

FERRARI PLANNING INTERNET LAUNCH FOR 2016 F1 CHALLENGER

Ferrari-launch-2015.jpg?resize=750%2C501

Ferrari is planning an internet launch for its 2016 challenger, according to reports doing the rounds in Italy.
Citing Italian sources, the Finnish newspaper Ilta Sanomat said the as-yet unnamed machine will be seen on the internet for the first time on 19 or 20 February, just days before the start of winter testing in Barcelona.
“Ferrari has not decided which of the team’s race drivers will test the car first,” the report added.
But Kimi Raikkonen, Ferrari’s Finnish driver, said the only target for 2016 can be the world championship.
“We all know that Ferrari wants to win,” he said. “It will not be easy, there are a lot of strong teams and all of them have the same idea.
“Obviously, having done better in the previous year, we have more expectations for the next one, so we will give our 100 per cent to try to bring back the championship for Ferrari,” added Raikkonen, the 2007 title winner.
As for a firm prediction, however, Raikkonen would not be drawn.
“It’s too early to say. We can do our best but we can’t control what the others do, so we have to keep working the same way, always improving, then we will see where we end up,” he said.
“There’s no point to start guessing, we have to wait until the winter tests and the first race.”

MARIA TERESA DE FILIPPIS FIRST WOMAN TO RACE IN F1 PASSES AWAY

8909.jpg?resize=750%2C500

The first woman driver to race in the Formula One world championship, Italian Maria Teresa De Filippis, has died at the age of 89.
“We lost another pioneering member of the motorsport world today,” Austrian Alex Wurz, a member of the Grand Prix Drivers’ Club that counted De Filippis as its honorary president, said on Twitter on Saturday.
The official Formula One Twitter feed also mourned the passing of an ‘incredible woman’.
Born in Naples on November 11, 1926, De Filippis started three grands prix in 1958 at the wheel of a Maserati and finished 10th and last at Spa in Belgium. She failed to finish in Portugal and her home race at Monza. In Belgium she had qualified 19th and last and was lapped twice.
De Filippis also tried to qualify for the 1958 Monaco Grand Prix, with current Formula One supremo Bernie Ecclestone another who failed to make the cut that day.
58MON_FILIPPIS.jpg?resize=750%2C501
In 1959 she again failed to qualify in Monaco and then retired after the death that year of her Porsche team leader, French ace Jean Behra, in a sportscar race before the German Grand Prix at Avus.
A 2012 book that marked the 50th anniversary of the Drivers’ Club recalled how De Filippis was greeted when she tried to sign up for the 1958 French Grand Prix in Reims.
“The only helmet a beautiful woman should wear is the one at the hairdressers’,” race director Toto Roche said as he prevented her from entering.
In her own introduction, De Filippis recalled the ‘difficulties and misunderstandings’ she had to overcome.
“Many journalists, too, did not always want general news but tried to get me to talk about particular situations as the only woman in the field,” she said.
8910.jpg?resize=750%2C309
She faced that also in later life, with many years passing before another woman lined up with the men.
Only five women have entered a grand prix since the championship started in 1950 and Italian Lella Lombardi, the next after De Filippis, remains the only one to have had any success with sixth place in Spain in 1975.
Lombardi made 12 starts, scoring half a point for her result in Spain after the race was stopped early due to a fatal accident.
No woman has started a grand prix since Lombardi, although Britain’s Divina Galica (1976-78), South African Desire Wilson (1980) and Italian Giovanna Amati (1992) all tried to qualify.
Frauen-in-der-Formel-1-1200x800-4d65e274
Statement by Grand Prix Drivers Club
Maria Teresa de Filippis, first woman to race in F1, passes away aged 89 Switzerland, Saturday January 9, 2015 – The Grand Prix Drivers Club (GPDC), established in 1962 as CIAPGPF1 by nine former F1 drivers headed by Louis Chiron and Juan Manuel Fangio is especially saddened to announce that Honorary President Maria Teresa di Filippis passed away on Saturday January 9, 2016.
The funeral will be held on Monday January 11, 2016 at Castello di Gavarno in Scanzorosciate (near Bergamo, Italy). Canzorosciate is the city where Maria Teresa de Filippis lived with husband Theo K. Huschek.
Don Sergio Mantovani, The Modena Ferrari F1 priest will lead the service. GPDC (Grand Prix Drivers Club) Vice President Emanuele Pirro and wife Marlene will represent the GPDC club.
Maria-Teresa de Filippis was the first woman driver to compete in Formula 1 participating in five F1 Grand Prix. After being President of the GPDC (Grand Prix Drivers Club) she became Honorary President.
Howden Ganley, the current President of the club said: “Motor racing has lost a very lovely lady. She was an icon, the first lady to race in Formula One, and of course we younger ones certainly admired that , as did her contemporaries.”
Maria Teresa, with her boundless enthusiasm, was a mainstay in our Club for so many years. She will be irreplaceable.
My sympathies to her daughter Carola , and especially to her soulmate and husband , the wonderful Theo, always at Maria Teresa’s side as they traveled the world.
Maria_racer_MASTER_copy.jpg?resize=750%2

Hamilton ‘confident’ Merc will dominate

7751024x534.7096774193549__origin__0x60_

Lewis Hamilton has warned rivals that Mercedes again expect to be the team to beat in 2016 before F1's planned radical rule changes potentially shake up the grid.
For the second successive season Hamilton and his team-mate Nico Rosberg were the two drivers to beat in 2015.
Not only did they amass 16 grands prix victories but 12 of those were 1-2 finishes as the Brackley squad stormed to the Constructors' and Drivers' titles.
And this year, Hamilton says, there will be more of the same.
"There is at least another year of this strength we have," the reigning World Champion told Autosport.
"Of course there is a slight unknown because the car can shift. It could dip.
"But we have a much, much stronger foundation in this team and that is not going to be the case. I'm so confident that is not going to be the case."
But while the Brit feels there is more to come from Mercedes, he reckons he also has potential for growth.
Hamilton had one of his best season ever last year as he raced to ten grands prix wins and claimed pole position on 11 Saturdays.
And the 31-year-old says there is more to come.
"I don't think you are ever performing at peak level all the time. You have dips.
"I was at a peak for a long time during the year, and then I had three so-so races at the end.
"I still drove pretty well and didn't make any mistakes.
"But in not being at 100 per cent, the good thing is there are improvements that can be made for next year.
"I'd like to think that each year you grow, not only as a human being, but as a sportsman.
"I'm hoping the way I apply myself this winter will be on the back of having learned from last winter.
"The struggles I've had physically and mentally, hopefully I can rectify those. I'm hoping I should be stronger [in 2016].
"I'm still relatively young, so at the moment I only see a mountain which I'm willing to climb.
"I don't feel I'm seeing the downside of it, so that's what keeps me going."

Kaltenborn: Dominant team isn’t bad for F1

8de1022.6666666666666x767__origin__0x0_M

While many have decried Mercedes' current domination, Monish Kaltenborn says it is not a bad situation for F1 as long as they don't abuse their position.
Mercedes have dominated the last two seasons in Formula 1, taking both the Constructors' and Drivers' titles.
With 16 wins in each campaign, 11 1-2s in 2014 and 12 last season, Mercedes have been the superior outfit in the new 1.6-litre V6 era.
This has led to many lamenting their performances, adamant that Mercedes' form is putting fans off Formula 1.
Kaltenborn though disagrees.
"For me actually, that's [domination] never been any negative point in our series, because all of us have been in that situation," the Sauber team boss told Motorsport.com.
"If you go back to the years of Michael Schumacher, how many years did [Ferrari] dominate?
"And look at all the things which were attached to it – tyres were developed for one team, for one driver basically, and you never had these kinds of discussions."
She does, however, concede that in part it does depend on which team is dominating.
"There are teams which are liked more by the fans and some which are liked less by the fans," she added.
"But this is got to do with the team, the colour you saw out there in the grandstands was usually red.
"It was just good for the sport, it was going up like this, if you see in terms of viewers, sponsors, any other commercial deals, so that’s not a problem."
Kaltenborn added that she has just one request of any team dominating Formula 1 and that is that they don't only look out for themselves but for the sport as a whole.
"Every team plays their role in F1. To a team like ours, it doesn't really affect us in that way if one team dominates.
"But it is important that you don't use that dominance to push the sport in a direction which is maybe not good for the entire sport.
"You have to respect all teams, be it number one, number two or number 10, because everybody has their part to play and everybody contributes to the F1 show."

No more backing off from Bottas

4161022.6666666666666x767__origin__0x0_V

Don't expect Valtteri Bottas to back off from future wheel-to-wheel battles in future with the Finn saying he has adopted a more aggressive approach.
By his own admission Bottas was known as a "conservative driver", but he was forced to change his thinking after he was involved in a collision with Ferrari's Kimi Raikkonen at the Russian Grand Prix last year.
The Williams man was running in third place when Raikkonen barged his way past on the final lap, sending Bottas into retirement while he nursed his stricken Ferrari to fifth place.
Two races later and they again made contact at the Mexican GP, but this time Bottas stuck to his guns and it paid off as he went on to finish P3 while Raikkonen was the one to retire.
"Maybe the last few races I started being more aggressive," Bottas told Autosport. "Normally I've been known as a conservative driver, always bringing the car home.
"I still calculate every risk but at some point there is the situation where it is better not to back off.
"It can either get you a good result or in the worst case maybe some other drivers know that they shouldn't try that [because you don't give way]."
Asked if he changed his attitude following the first clash with Raikkonen in Russia, he said: "Maybe.
"For me, it comes quite naturally because it had not been a great season.
"I wanted to fight for every single position and I also want to prove that I can race hard and I'm not going to give up. In some cases, I'm not going to back off."
He added: "I will keep my style as always, always calculating the risks. If I see a clear opportunity to go for it, I go for it and don't back off."

Dennis: Look outside for Bernie’s successor

ccb1022.6666666666666x767__origin__0x0_R

Ron Dennis says Formula 1 should look outside the sport for the person who will replace Bernie Ecclestone as F1 supremo.
At age 85 many are wondering who will fill Ecclestone's post when the Brit is no longer around.
From inside the sport Red Bull team boss Christian Horner's name has often comes up as a likely candidate while from outside former Sainsbury boss Justin King has on several occasions denied that he is interested.
If it was up to Dennis he would chose someone from outside Formula 1 as he reckons senior personal should not "cross the line."
He told Motorsport.com: "I don't think it is great to see senior members of racing teams cross the line.
"I don't think it looks right and it doesn't sit well. So, for that reason, I don't think it would be a particularly good idea.
"I think impartiality is something you can say is difficult to say and achieve, and that applies to every position – either FIA or FOM.
"So I would be flattered to be asked. I doubt I would be asked, but I would decline.
"I have my sights set very firmly on a variety of things that I want to do in the latter part of my business career."

LOTUS SIGN COMES DOWN AS RENAULT OCCUPY ENSTONE AGAIN

viry_juin_100.jpg?resize=750%2C501

Renault’s Lotus takeover is continuing to race ahead, although an official name change for the Enstone team is yet to be announced.
But the big Lotus team sign on the main building at Enstone has now been taken down, while another director has been added to the management board.
Just before Christmas, the French carmaker said Renault’s Jerome Stoll and Cyril Abiteboul have been added to the new board of directors.
And now RTBF, the French-language Belgian broadcaster, said Thierry Cognet has also become a director. The business social media service Linkedin said Cognet is a Paris-based financial director for Renault.
At the same time, the formerly Lotus-linked Eric Lux and Andrew Ruhan have departed, although Genii’s Gerard Lopez is reportedly retaining 10 per cent of the F1 team.
stoll_abiteboul_renault-1501.jpg?resize=
“The new team name, full management structure, team partners and other details will be announced during an event to be held in Paris in February,” Renault said.
Talking recently about Renault’s decision to buy back Enstone after working in F1 only as an engine supplier since 2010, director Stoll said: “Carlos Ghosn said (last year that) our sports activities must be at the service of our communication and marketing policy.
“I saw four options,” he told Auto Plus. “Remain an engine supplier: for the budget, the marketing return was not good. Put a ‘sticker’ on a car: other manufacturers have done it but not always with the desired success.
“So two alternatives remained: withdraw from F1 or stay as a major player,” added Stoll.

WOLFF SAYS WIFE SUSIE WAS GOOD ENOUGH FOR F1 RACE SEAT

1-677044168-123321632014.jpg?resize=750%

Mercedes F1 chief Toto Wolff says his wife Susie was good enough to race with a mid-pack Formula 1 team.
Wolff was speaking for the first time since Susie Wolff decided to give up her position as a Williams test driver, after she acknowledged that she will never get to race in F1.
“As a husband, I’m sorry that she did not get the chance, as I am convinced that she is good enough for a good mid-table team,” said Wolff.
“And as part of the F1 world it would have been good for F1 to have a woman in the race, because even media that has nothing to do with motor sport would have been interested,” he added.
“So it is a missed opportunity. But together as a family I don’t notice any difference now that she has made this decision. She is at peace with herself and I can tell you one thing: girls are much tougher than boys,” Wolff concluded.

F1 IN 2017 UNLIKELY TO BE MUCH FASTER THAN NOW

DaniilKvyatF1GrandPrixSingaporePracticeu

Formula 1’s plan to radically speed up the cars for 2017 has been watered down, that is the claim on Monday of Auto Motor und Sport.
It said that at the last meeting of the technical working group, a majority vote decided that the chassis bodywork should not be widened to the planned 180 centimetres, but instead remain at the current 140cm.
Correspondent Michael Schmidt added: “The larger diffuser also appears to be off the table.”
Earlier, it was planned that it would be 25 centimetres high in 2017, but it will now either stay at 12.5 or be only slightly raised.
“It is rumoured that the concerns of Mercedes and Pirelli made the difference,” he explained.
“Pirelli threatened exorbitant tyre pressures as a safety measure if laptimes were five seconds faster. Nobody wants that,” said Schmidt.
However, the plans for wider cars overall – including wider front and rear wings – are still on track, Auto Motor und Sport added.

FERRARI, RED BULL AND MCLAREN SET FOR PIRELLI WET TYRE TEST

pirelli_tyre_test_abu_dhabi_2011-14.jpg?

Three Formula 1 teams will be in action later this month as Pirelli develops its wet-weather tyres ahead of the 2016 season.
F1’s official supplier on Monday announced that Ferrari, Red Bull and McLaren have been selected to run at Paul Ricard on January 25 and 26, using last season’s cars.
“More details on the drivers participating as well as the test programme will be made available in the coming days,” a statement read.
Unlike the post-season tyre test in Abu Dhabi, Pirelli said the media can attend the Paul Ricard session.

COULTHARD COMPANY TO PRODUCE F1 COVERAGE

DavidCoulthardF1GrandPrixRussiaJi9lvbvys

A TV production company co-owned by David Coulthard will produce the new free-to-air coverage of formula one in Britain this year.
Whisper Films is co-owned by the former McLaren and Red Bull driver, as well as former F1 presenter Jake Humphrey.
And with the BBC dropping its F1 coverage ahead of the 2016 season and Channel 4 (C4) taking over, the latter announced on Monday that Whisper Films, which is partly owned by Channel 4, Coulthard and Jake Humphrey, will be the production company.
Meanwhile Coulthard has also been signed as a presenter of the 2016 F1 coverage.
“Whisper Films has an unrivalled production team with over 20 years’ experience in formula one and unique contacts throughout the sport,” said Sunil Patel, another co-owner of the company.
“C4 and Bernie Ecclestone have both talked about a new approach and we believe we are ideally placed to deliver this.”
Coulthard commented: “I’m looking forward to being part of an exciting new era for Formula 1.”

HUNGARORING TO BE RESURFACED AHEAD OF NEXT GRAND PRIX

8428696_orig.jpg?resize=750%2C468

Upgrade work on the Hungarian grand prix venue near Budapest is to take place ahead of the next Formula 1 race at the venue in July
It emerged last month that some minor construction tweaks at the twisty Hungaroring circuit are being done, carried out by a company called Swietelsky Magyarorszag. One of the tasks is to re-asphalt the entire track.
“This is a huge technical challenge that is not carried out every day,” said project manager Szabo Martin.
And Hungaroring boss Zsolt Gyulay added: “We are on time to be ready for the first international race, the world touring car championship, on April 24.”
Apparently, some of the changes are being done so that the Hungaroring is eligible to host a round of the MotoGP championship.
But “It will have no impact on the formula one grand prix,” insisted Gyulay, “although the verge and run-off areas will be expanded.”
The 2016 Hungarian grand prix is scheduled for 24 July.

FOM/Ecclestone should pay for F1 to have 'budget' engine - Ferrari

1452511638.jpg

Formula 1's engine manufacturers would be prepared to develop a power unit for rivals but commercial rights holder Bernie Ecclestone's organisation should finance it, believes Ferrari president Sergio Marchionne.

The manufacturers have until Friday this week to come up with a range of proposals to address engine concerns, in particular the price of power unit supplies, and submit them to the FIA.

It follows the decision to park the idea of an alternative, more cost effective, engine for independent teams to ease their financial burden.

Marchionne said he did not object to the concept of such an engine and was open to the manufacturers playing a part - provided Formula One Management picked up the bill.

"If you go to Mercedes and you tell them 'please give us a group of engineers to develop in a parallel mode a different engine, different to that of Mercedes that is compliant with the F1 rules and that costs a certain amount' then I think FOM should cover that amount of money," said Marchionne during Ferrari's Christmas media briefing.

"Ferrari is available to join a project where we could develop power units.

"We would also consider sharing our technology but we should not be the only one.

"The development commitments should be shared with the other teams having the power units and of course that should be done in economic terms."

Engine manufacturers have been asked to reduce customer engine costs, but Marchionne said it was "inappropriate" to ask them to spend money developing a new engine formula and then dictate how much they charge irrespective of the business model.

"Ferrari spends a lot of money in F1 and this has a great impact on the brands and development on a lot of our commercial activities that do not have a lot to do with F1," he said. "It costs a lot of money.

"This is also expensive for Mercedes. It seems the only winner is Bernie.

"Those who are managing the commercial rights should take their responsibility.

"We also have a responsibility but it's different.

"A change in the rules, imposing obligations on Ferrari or Mercedes, is absolutely inappropriate."

Felipe Massa expects to be in demand in 2017 amid F1 rule changes

1452529219.jpg

Williams racer Felipe Massa believes he will be a key player in the 2017 Formula 1 driver market because the rules shake-up will place a premium on experience.
F1 faces its biggest rules overhaul since 2009 next year but Williams technical chief Pat Symonds thinks it will be more challenging for teams this time around as they will have to develop solutions with heavily restricted windtunnel hours and staff numbers.
Massa is confirmed for a third year at Williams alongside Valtteri Bottas in 2016, but his future is uncertain beyond that.
The Brazilian says he only intends to stay in F1 if he has a competitive package and hopes his experience will make him an attractive proposition.
"I think I have opportunity to carry on in a good level," Massa told Autosport.
"Next season will be a big change for everybody and people will be looking for experience.
"They will want drivers who know what to say and do to help the development of a team.
"So maybe it can be I stay in a good level, but it's difficult to say now."
Massa has contested 229 grands prix since coming into F1 with Sauber in 2002, claiming 11 victories and enjoying a career resurgence with Williams after a difficult end to his long Ferrari stint.
He says he does not feel pressure to make a decision on his future.
"I have another year of contract, I'm so happy here," he said. "This year, we will see what I do.
"If I don't have the opportunity to carry on in a level I believe I need and deserve, maybe I will stop.
"I will have time to think about it."

ZETSCHE: WE ARE VERY LUCKY TO HAVE LEWIS AND NICO

zetsche-rosberg-hamilton.jpg?resize=750%

Daimler CEO Dieter Zetsche says he is perfectly happy with Mercedes’ Formula 1 driver duo who he has called the perfect couple which the team is fortunate to have on their books, and says it’s up to their rivals to close the gap the Silver Arrows have on their rivals.
Team boss Toto Wolff warned recently that if the bitterness of the rivalry between Lewis Hamilton and Nico Rosberg spills into the team spirit, he would consider making a change. But Zetsche told Auto Express that the Briton and German are in fact “the perfect couple”.
Even Hamilton’s extravagant off-track lifestyle, he said, is not a problem, “As long as Lewis wins races he can organise the rest of his life – as long as it is within the scope of our brand values – as he wants to.”
“At the same time we have the other guy who’s as fast and has a very different lifestyle with a family and a kid. These are the two bookends and I think we are really very lucky to have them, they are the perfect couple,” Zetsche added.
141129STARSANDCARS-4204.jpg?resize=750%2
Zetsche also addressed the issue of Mercedes’ utter dominance over the past two years, suggesting he hopes Ferrari manages to close the gap for 2016.
“We want to win,” he said, “preferably in the last race by two points. But this is not our task to reduce the gap, but the task of our competitors.”
He said earlier in the year, “After winning in 2014, we raised the bar again to secure this year’s title, and we needed to because our rivals gave us plenty of headaches as they stepped up their performance.”
“The work by our team is the perfect example of what drives Mercedes-Benz forward: the best technology. The most efficient hybrid petrol engine that our company has ever made, world-beating aerodynamics and intelligent design in every part of the W06 Hybrid racing car,” added Zetsche.

MANUFACTURERS SET TO SUPPLY CHEAPER F1 ENGINES

Formula-1-F1-engines-power-units-Ferrari

Formula 1’s manufacturers look set to agree to reduce the price of their engines, even if they want to press ahead with the current ‘power unit’ formula beyond 2017.
After the carmakers rejected Bernie Ecclestone and Jean Todt’s idea of parallel regulations for an independent engine supplier, they were given until January 15 to come up with an alternative proposal.
But according to Auto Motor und Sport on Tuesday, Mercedes, Ferrari, Renault and Honda have decided to press ahead with the controversial era of 1.6 litre turbo V6 ‘hybrid’ power units.
“They prefer to supply the current power units at a subsidised price,” said correspondent Michael Schmidt.
F1 supremo Ecclestone, however, had outlined his desire not only for cheaper engines for the independent teams, but simpler technology that is more powerful and louder.
Schmidt continued: “The four manufacturers believe it is better and cheaper to deliver the current engines to customers at a price of EUR 12 million rather than build something completely new.”
Currently, the price of a customer supply of ‘power units’ in F1 is about double that amount.
Reportedly, the manufacturers plan to reduce costs by agreeing a list of common parts, possibly including the battery, the energy recovery systems or the turbo.
But Schmidt predicted: “Ecclestone will not be satisfied. He wants an engine that in theory also an independent supplier like Cosworth or Ilmor can make.”

MARCHIONNE REPEATS AUSTRALIA VICTORY TARGET

marchionne-ferrari-2015.jpg?resize=750%2

Ferrari big boss Sergio Marchionne has reiterated that his team has a winning target for 2016, starting with victory in the first race of the season in Melbourne.
Although it has emerged that development of the Maranello team’s 2016 car was delayed last year, president Marchionne said recently that immediate wins and the itle are the only goals for the forthcoming championship campaign.
It could be because of Ferrari’s recent separation from Fiat Chrysler, and an arguably shaky start to the floatation on the Milan stock exchange.
A marketing professor was quoted this week by the AFP news agency as warning that Ferrari must be about “performance and success”, while the F1 team must “win races”.
“If they have trouble with that, that (image) starts eroding over time,” he added.
At the Detroit Motor Show on Monday, Marchionne said: “Now it is important for Ferrari to work effectively in testing in Barcelona before heading to Australia for the first race of the season to get back to winning ways.”
The Italian media reports also quoted Marchionne as scoffing at critics of Ferrari’s stock market performance so far, saying “those talking (negatively) about the reaction of Ferrari on the bourse when there was the separation and distribution of 80 per cent of the capital are idiots”.

Horner thinks Wolff is the key

4811022.6666666666666x767__origin__0x0_C

Red Bull team principal Christian Horner believes that Mercedes Head of Motorsport Toto Wolff has made it difficult for any negotiations to develop between the top teams on the Formula 1 circuit.
Horner is of the opinion that some progress was being made during the summer, after Red Bull owner Dietrich Mateschitz and Niki Lauda had engaged in informal discussions.
However, Horner alleges that the subsequent involvement of Wolff in these discussions ruined any prospects the teams had of meeting each other halfway.
"He [Mateschitz] was involved in the negotiations at the forefront of this, and believed he had a deal," Horner told Motorsport.com.
"Dietrich has always worked on handshake qualities, and that is the way he has run his business and run his life," added Horner.
"I have been around long enough to not be totally surprised. It is a competitive business at the end of the day. Niki Lauda tried his hardest to make it happen and unfortunately Toto was particularly unkeen to see Mercedes power in the back of a Red Bull car," explained Horner.
The authorities at Red Bull have recently felt that Mercedes and Ferrari have pushed them into a corner, and that they have deliberately denied them the opportunity to be more competitive in the sport.
"Our performance at Spa in the middle sector seemed to spook a few people, around the time we were discussing with Mercedes," said Horner.
"And our performance in Singapore seemed to totally spook Ferrari. So yes, in some ways you are a victim of your own success. But you have to keep fighting and solutions will present themselves," said the Red Bull principal.
At the centre of the storm is the struggle to land a new engine deal. Horner does not think the current rules have assisted them in this regard either.
"It is part of a bigger issue in Formula 1 – that firstly the power units that we were offered but were not available, some of them were in excess of 30 million Euros.
"Secondly they weren't available and thirdly you have this massive disparity between the best and the worst. And that doesn't make the racing any closer. So the FIA and the commercial rights holder need to grab a hold of it and come up with a more affordable, available, less-technical engine," said Horner, suggesting that the matter was far more complicated than meets the eye.
"I think there is an awful lot more to it than meets the eye. In the summer there were a lot of discussions. There were agreements between individuals that were later reneged upon, and an awful lot of politics put in to play.
"If you are a competitive team, then there is an obvious conflict within that team if you are a supplier [of engines] as well. The engines are the biggest performance differentiator in F1 at the moment: forget drivers and chassis to a degree. So you can understand why Mercedes and Ferrari wouldn't be particularly keen to give their biggest asset to a competitive rival team. They tried very hard at a team level to achieve that."
"But this is where I think perhaps the rules needs looking at. It cannot be right that a group of manufacturers can get together and say, 'we are happy to see Red Bull go to the wall.'"

Manor wait unsettling for Wehrlein

a471024x534.7096774193549__origin__0x134

Pascal Wehrlein concedes that the considerable uncertainty currently experienced at Manor Marussia has been unsettling for him, just weeks before the start of the 2016 campaign.
At this juncture Manor Marussia have not confirmed their drivers for the coming season, and Wehrlein confirmed it had taken longer than he had expected.
The 21-year-old has performed reserve duties in Formula 1 before but racing will be a different undertaking altogether and it is something which he does look forward to doing.
"The status is unchanged," Wehrlein told Motorsport Total this week.
"It's dragged on quite long already, and I thought that such a decision would be made faster. I hope that soon there will be something concrete [about 2016]. As a driver, you want to prepare as well as possible for the upcoming season," added Wehrlein.
The German driver believes that he has done all that he can to try and secure a spot in Formula 1, suggesting that the ball was really in Manor's court now. That is what troubles him the most, the reality that he can't really do anything else to advance his cause.
"It is not in my hands, so I have to take it as it comes," explained Wehrlein.
"If it happens, then I would be really happy about stepping up to Formula 1. If not, I cannot blame myself. I gave everything to achieve it, and could not have done any more in 2015."

Grosjean backed Gutierrez's recruitment as second Haas F1 driver

1452601794.jpg

Romain Grosjean's positive report on Esteban Gutierrez played a part in Haas's decision to recruit the Mexican for its Formula 1 debut this season, according to team principal Gunter Steiner.
Grosjean was confirmed as a Haas driver in September last year after the Frenchman opted to end his time with Lotus.
After recruiting Grosjean, Steiner and eponymous Haas owner Gene asked him for his thoughts on Gutierrez, who spent last year with Ferrari as test and reserve driver following two seasons with Sauber.
"When we picked Romain we spoke with him about Esteban," Steiner confirmed to Autosport.
"If he had said he didn't get on with him or something, or if there was no respect more than anything else, it would have been hard [to then sign him].
"Obviously Esteban is a good driver, but we didn't know him then as well as Romain, who had raced against him.
"Romain knows his technique as a driver, and knows more about him as a guy, whether he is stable or unstable, and he was very positive about him."
Steiner has no doubt Grosjean and Gutierrez will form a solid, reliable pairing that will work in harmony together.
"What we think is they will get on pretty well because they are both intelligent guys, and not just as race car drivers, but as human beings in general," added Steiner.
"They've both had a good education, they are at a good level, and I think they will get on - or at least I hope so."

Massa to try Senna's first F1 car at Autosport International

1452595743.jpg

Felipe Massa will sample the first Formula 1 car driven by Ayrton Senna, the Williams FW08C, at Autosport International this weekend.
Raced by Keke Rosberg and Jacques Laffite in the 1983 season, the Cosworth-powered FW08C was the first F1 car the eventual three-time world champion tested, at Donington Park in July 1983.
It will be demonstrated in the Live Action Arena during the show at Birmingham's NEC, with Massa getting behind the wheel on Sunday afternoon.
A further eight cars spanning the history of Williams in F1 - and including Rosberg, Nigel Mansell and Damon Hill's title winners - will form a special display alongside the team's motorhome.
Other show features include the F1 Racing Grid, British Touring Car Championship and Wales Rally GB features, and the new When We Were Kings historic display celebrating motorsport in the 1970s and 80s.
Hill joins Massa as one of the stars of the show, while other key personnel from the team will also be in attendance over the four days, including Claire Williams, Pat Symonds and Rob Smedley.
Former Williams test driver Susie Wolff will launch a new initiative to boost the number of women involved in the sport on Thursday, while dual World Rallycross champion Petter Solberg returns to the Live Action Arena.
The guest list also includes three-time Le Mans 24 Hours winner Allan McNish and BTCC champions Gordon Shedden, Matt Neal, Colin Turkington and Andrew Jordan.