Boli CJ, Parti Short, RASCC

jwr0201

These three seem to be among the best and most popular of the minuto vitolas. How do these compare in terms of strength and flavors? I've had the RASCC and find it to be excellent in flavor and construction and falls in the medium strength range.

Try them all! All three are true classics and together with the El Principe the last survivors of the Minutos format. All full-flavour, even rich sometimes. All good, high-quality cigars, you can't go wrong with either. Strength can vary to my experience and members do judge that differently.

For me, the most consistent and my personal favourite in that small format (Minutos, Franciscanos, Coronitas etc.) is the BCJ. But that's just personal preference. Get some singles and try them out.

Paul

• Like 1

I do find a remarkable consistency in minutos/perlas. They tend to be very reliable. My problem is that when they're good, they're way too short!

You need to try all of them and decide. They're all different. The crowd favorite is the Party Short but the El Principe and the BCJ are the standouts of the last few years IMO.

• 4 months later...

My absolute favorite, the RyJ Tres Petit Corona, went out of production some years ago. The Coronitas are good, but not quite the same flavor.

I smoked my first BCJ this morning and it was an awesome experience. I haven't smoked the others so I can't compare it to them. Because everyone has different tastes I would make your way through all those you named. At the very least you'll have first hand experience with each and probably a safe bet you'll enjoy them. Almost forgot to mention I have RASCC that I picked up at a local B&M, can't wait to try it.

Sent From My Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 Using Tapatalk

It has to be the Partagas Short. It's such a good smoke and great value too. I don't find them great ROTT but 12 months down and they seem good to go. The RASCC is very good too though!

I have enjoyed all of the gars you listed and like others have said try them all. What we like may not be what you like.

Myself it is the BCJ....WOW! I haven't had one that has disappointed.

I concur with the consensus in regards to how good these smaller minuto cigars are. I'd like to add, however, to not forget the Montecristo No.5, which can be so, so good when 'on'!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

All can be a bit strong (for a Havana) when young.  Of the boxes I've had of each, they all seem to have some youth to work through for a couple of years before I find them enjoyable.

That said, I try to always keep a box or 3 of RASCC on hand as they smoke far beyond their size; they're as good as a Gigantes and only marginally less complex as an RASS.

Shorts are excellent, and I don't typically gravitate towards Partagas.

Many like the Bolis and they've probably got the most strength of the 3, but I don't really care for Bolis personally, so they're a pass.

I notice you did not mention San Cristobals, which is a shame.

On 7/11/2016 at 6:02 PM, earthson said:

I notice you did not mention San Cristobals, which is a shame.

Indeed, I personally believe the El Principe has been the best Cuban minuto for the last few years. I've never had a bad box and they are basically blind buys for me these days, and I can't say that about many cigars. They just deliver every time and generally have excellent construction and combustion. Also, they're priced very well unlike the rest of the SC lineup.

I've been a loyal RASCC smoker for over a decade but the 13s and 14s have been off for me. I think they kind of hit a rough patch, which is a shame since they were just so darn reliable for so many years. I've stopped buying them until they come around.

22 hours ago, NSXCIGAR said:

Indeed, I personally believe the El Principe has been the best Cuban minuto for the last few years. I've never had a bad box and they are basically blind buys for me these days, and I can't say that about many cigars. They just deliver every time and generally have excellent construction and combustion. Also, they're priced very well unlike the rest of the SC lineup.

I've been a loyal RASCC smoker for over a decade but the 13s and 14s have been off for me. I think they kind of hit a rough patch, which is a shame since they were just so darn reliable for so many years. I've stopped buying them until they come around.

Gotta say the RASCC have been the clear opposite for me. I've had one '14 and it was far too young. The '13s have been outstanding - will be surprised to see if they get better. Haven't had any this good since '07 or so.

6 hours ago, earthson said:

Gotta say the RASCC have been the clear opposite for me. I've had one '14 and it was far too young. The '13s have been outstanding - will be surprised to see if they get better. Haven't had any this good since '07 or so.

I had several ULA DIC 13 and EML NOV 13 boxes that were flat-out turds with poor construction to boot. I did see some positive feedback on the 13s, but I've struck out. I wasn't impressed with the 12s either. They seem to have just lost that extra something special they had from 06-11, and I've spoken to a few long-time RASCC smokers who mainly concur. Haven't tried any 14s but I think I'm going to wait for 15 if all I see for 14s is the ULA code. El Principe and Monte 5 are enough to get me through it.

19 hours ago, NSXCIGAR said:

I had several ULA DIC 13 and EML NOV 13 boxes that were flat-out turds with poor construction to boot. I did see some positive feedback on the 13s, but I've struck out. I wasn't impressed with the 12s either. They seem to have just lost that extra something special they had from 06-11, and I've spoken to a few long-time RASCC smokers who mainly concur. Haven't tried any 14s but I think I'm going to wait for 15 if all I see for 14s is the ULA code. El Principe and Monte 5 are enough to get me through it.

I see.  I believe all I've had for '13 RASCC are AME codes and they have all been stunning without exception.  That's 2.5 boxes down and 5.5 more to go!