ISO: The Best Chili Recipe

MIKA27

Hi all.

As the Topic suggests, I'm after a great American Chili recipe.

There's a ton of ideas on the internet but I'd much prefer someone here to forward your recipe.

After something authentic with flavour and texture.

Much appreciated in advance :)

I used to pride myself on making it from scratch including a recipe using strips of prime beef tenderloin. I had a kid. All day cooking became more special than cooking, well, chili. Anyhow. I was craving it one day and came across this. Fast. Easy. Delicious. I'm not the guy to take shortcuts but the finished product will have people asking for the recipe. Trust me. I'm a food snob.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/16235/debdoozies-blue-ribbon-chili/

• Like 1

I used to pride myself on making it from scratch including a recipe using strips of prime beef tenderloin. I had a kid. All day cooking became more special than cooking, well, chili. Anyhow. I was craving it one day and came across this. Fast. Easy. Delicious. I'm not the guy to take shortcuts but the finished product will have people asking for the recipe. Trust me. I'm a food snob.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/16235/debdoozies-blue-ribbon-chili/

Thanks for the recipe, I will give it a shot ;)

I can testify mate that it is incredible.

Apparently the most authentic style recipe too

It looks amazingly rich, slightly oily and sometimes that's a great thing.

Thank you Steve and thanks to all who have forwarded recipes thus far.

After this thread reminded me I made the short cut chili I posted with mango habanero salsa last weekend. Just fantastic and easy!

I made the recipe i posted above again on friday, i doubled the amount of ingredients to make a huge batch...

Unreal.

Every night when im feeling peckish i just ladle some into a big mug and heat it up, so awesome.

Its now wednesday and i have eaten the lot.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

This is a great base recipe for Jailhouse Chili, from Kenny's Cajun Creole cookbook. Personally I like a lot of heat so I throw in some chopped red and green chillies. A bit of dark chocolate in the mix is pretty good too. Bon appetit!

2 large onions, diced

6 cloves garlic, finely chopped

6 tbs olive oil

3 tbs chili powder

5 red jalapeños, finely chopped

1kg minced beef, 20% fat

500g stewing steak, cubed

6 rashers streaky bacon, diced and fried

2 tbs ground cumin

2 tbs oregano

1 tbs cayenne

1 tbs turmeric

500ml dark beer

500ml beef stock

3 x 400g cans chopped tomatoes

2 tsp garlic salt

In a large frying pan, saute onion and garlic in olive oil. After a few minutes add half the chili powder and half the diced jalapeños. Cook for a further 5 minutes. Add the onion mixture to a large casserole, leaving the oil in the pan.

In a mixing bowl, combine mince, chuck steak, fried bacon, the rest of the jalapeños and half the cumin, oregano, cayenne and turmeric. Mix well.

Brown the meat in 3 or 4 large clumps in the onion pan until brown on the outside. Don't worry about it not being cooked in the middle. Add this to the casserole.

Add the tomatoes, beef stock, half the beer and the second half of the cumin, oregano, cayenne and turmeric to the casserole.

Simmer on a very low heat for 1 hour.

Add second half of chili powder, the garlic salt and the rest of the beer. Simmer on a very low heat for another hour (or more) until the beef is cooked.

Serves 6 - 8.

• Like 2

Ingredients:

1 lb venison back strap

1 lb eye of round stew chunks less than 1 inch chunks

1 red onion

1 yellow onion

1 Vidalia onion

3-5 fresh jalapeno peppers

2 beefsteak tomatoes

1 tablespoon minced roasted garlic

¼ cup chili powder

½ teaspoon cayenne powder

½ teaspoon black pepper

½ teaspoon salt

2 medium cans 8 oz tomato paste

1 large can of of stewed tomatoes

2 bags dried chili beans

8 fresh habanero peppers.

8 oz white vinegar

2 16 oz dark beer (I use a porter for this)

No the recipe is not a joke its delicious but tedious.

Start 1 week prior to the chilli dinner. Cut the habanero peppers in quarters and place in a quart mason jar with the vinegar a pinch of the minced garlic and a pinch of salt. Put the lid on and set in the fridge

24 hours early put the dry beans in water at least 8 hours. While this is soaking dice the onions and tomatoes set back ¼ of each for later. Mince the jalapenos finely and set aside half.

Heat a large iron skillet and add some olive oil and onions. Once they start to caramelize add the meats and the garlic. Brown the meat. But don’t cook it.

Drain the beans and combine all ingredients in a large stock pot and simmer on low/med heat. Add water slowly to achieve the consistency desired. Stir occasionally over just enough heat to allow a slow boil should be ready in about 2 hours or when the meat is cooked through. Will be best after about 4 to 5 hours over the heat.

• Like 1

This is a great base recipe for Jailhouse Chili, from Kenny's Cajun Creole cookbook. Personally I like a lot of heat so I throw in some chopped red and green chillies. A bit of dark chocolate in the mix is pretty good too. Bon appetit!

2 large onions, diced

6 cloves garlic, finely chopped

6 tbs olive oil

3 tbs chili powder

5 red jalapeños, finely chopped

1kg minced beef, 20% fat

500g stewing steak, cubed

6 rashers streaky bacon, diced and fried

2 tbs ground cumin

2 tbs oregano

1 tbs cayenne

1 tbs turmeric

500ml dark beer

500ml beef stock

3 x 400g cans chopped tomatoes

2 tsp garlic salt

In a large frying pan, saute onion and garlic in olive oil. After a few minutes add half the chili powder and half the diced jalapeños. Cook for a further 5 minutes. Add the onion mixture to a large casserole, leaving the oil in the pan.

In a mixing bowl, combine mince, chuck steak, fried bacon, the rest of the jalapeños and half the cumin, oregano, cayenne and turmeric. Mix well.

Brown the meat in 3 or 4 large clumps in the onion pan until brown on the outside. Don't worry about it not being cooked in the middle. Add this to the casserole.

Add the tomatoes, beef stock, half the beer and the second half of the cumin, oregano, cayenne and turmeric to the casserole.

Simmer on a very low heat for 1 hour.

Add second half of chili powder, the garlic salt and the rest of the beer. Simmer on a very low heat for another hour (or more) until the beef is cooked.

Serves 6 - 8.

Looks great - Thanks for taking the time to post :)

Ingredients:

1 lb venison back strap

1 lb eye of round stew chunks less than 1 inch chunks

1 red onion

1 yellow onion

1 Vidalia onion

3-5 fresh jalapeno peppers

2 beefsteak tomatoes

1 tablespoon minced roasted garlic

¼ cup chili powder

½ teaspoon cayenne powder

½ teaspoon black pepper

½ teaspoon salt

2 medium cans 8 oz tomato paste

1 large can of of stewed tomatoes

2 bags dried chili beans

8 fresh habanero peppers.

8 oz white vinegar

2 16 oz dark beer (I use a porter for this)

No the recipe is not a joke its delicious but tedious.

Start 1 week prior to the chilli dinner. Cut the habanero peppers in quarters and place in a quart mason jar with the vinegar a pinch of the minced garlic and a pinch of salt. Put the lid on and set in the fridge

24 hours early put the dry beans in water at least 8 hours. While this is soaking dice the onions and tomatoes set back ¼ of each for later. Mince the jalapenos finely and set aside half.

Heat a large iron skillet and add some olive oil and onions. Once they start to caramelize add the meats and the garlic. Brown the meat. But don’t cook it.

Drain the beans and combine all ingredients in a large stock pot and simmer on low/med heat. Add water slowly to achieve the consistency desired. Stir occasionally over just enough heat to allow a slow boil should be ready in about 2 hours or when the meat is cooked through. Will be best after about 4 to 5 hours over the heat.

Thank you for posting the recipe.

Some of the best meals take the longest time and I'm all for cooking low and slow for great results.

I'll definitely give this a try. :)

I used to make my version of chilli for a StKilda Festival party. I recently sent this to a mate in the UK for Superbowl.

Billy’s Famous St Kilda Festival Chilli

Now one thing to get straight, Billy’s Famous St Kilda Festival Chilli isn’t actually a traditional chilli. Hard to believe I know but true. It’s more of a variation of a chunky bolognaise sauce really. That’s because I use minced beef and not shredded beef chunks. I also add my own touches to it. But I digress. The real key to Billy’s Famous St Kilda Festival Chilli is time...and experience. You see, I don’t really keep to any real recipe as such. I just use my feel for the chilli. But there are handy tips and methods that I can share. First of all, I see the Superbowl is on Monday in Australia so it would be on Sunday night in London? That being the case, then you need to start making your chilli preferably on the Saturday evening or early on the Sunday at the latest for best results. I would start it on Saturday. I need to know how many people you are entertaining so I can give an indication of how much of what to use. But here’s a list of ingredients for a large pot.

500 grams coarsely ground minced beef as fatty as you can find.

3 onions diced

1 small red capsicum, 1 small green capsicum

1 can red kidney beans (drained)

6 cloves garlic crushed

1 teaspoon cumin seeds crushed in mortar.

2 ½ squares of dark cooking chocolate broken up.

2 cans tomatoes

Plain corn chips

Sour cream

Shredded tasty cheese

Several packs of Doritos original plain corn chips. Don’t go tryin’ to use those cheese flavoured ones they will fight the flavours.

Paper serviettes

1 dive mask or swim goggles and hankerchief/bandana or paper mask.

1 pair of chilli shorts

12 pack extra soft toilet tissue

Now here’s the tricky part – how hot do ya want it? Do you want a red chilli or a green chilli? Do you want the Billy’s Famous Five Alarm Tequila Infused St Kilda Festival Chilli? These questions will determine what chillies to use and how much and whether you fork out for a bottle of Agavero Tequila Liqueur? PS. Don’t use Patron XO Cafe’ Tequila – you just buy a bottle of that and drink it.

I found that a combination of small red and small green chillies was the go but it all depends on the quality of the chillies, what you can get and how hot they are.

My long slow cooking method means that you can put in more chillies than you think and the heat is diffused and all the flavours combine to create a slow burn that retains the flavour.

For one large pot I would probably use 4 small green chillies and 4 small red chillies. The green tend to add a bit more flavour that tantalises the palate. But if you can only get red then no probs, it’s still good. If you want to dumb down the heat then go 3 and 3 or 6 red or 6 green. I personally would use 5 or 6 of each but it may end up too freakin' hot and ruins the night.

Extra halepenos can be included as a side or on top.

One bottle Agavero Tequila Liqueur if desired

Method:

If using tequila then you need to start Saturday morning or Friday night and mix a healthy slosh of tequila liqueur to the mince and work it through and let it sit in the fridge until you’re ready to cook later Saturday arvo or evening. Note, do not use normal tequila. You need tequila liqueur for the sugar content.

Don Chilli Shorts

Dice onions and brown off in frypan in some extra virgin olive oil and put aside. You can use vegetable oil if you like but here’s a break out ‘did you know?

Did you know that Extra Virgin olive oil is first cold pressed to retain high quantities of antioxidants, phytophenols and monounsatrates, making it healthy for your heart to help reduce blood cholesterol and blood pressure as opposed to regular olive oil. It also has a higher frying temperature before it smokes.

Make sure you rinse pan in hot water after each use or else the remnants will burn and make your meat bitter.

Dice capsicum and soften in pan and put aside.

Chop up chillies finely then don protective gear and open windows and heat in pan for a few minutes until they start to release their evil throat burning fumes. Remove and put aside.

In a large frypan brown off the mince. Best to break into two lots and have a really hot pan otherwise it will just stew. Use a wooden spoon or spatula and a fork to break up the mince as you go. Treat it bad to fire it up. The meat will feel your passion. It’s later that we treat her gently. As you’ve broken it up add half the minced garlic and let that work into the mince for a few minutes or so continuing to break up with spatula and fork. When the meat is sufficiently browned off, remove and place in a bowl or pot remembering to retain all those lovely juices. Repeat with same pan but make sure you rinse pan in hot water after each use or else the remnants will burn and make your meat bitter.

You’re now finished with your pan and time to put a large pot on a medium to high flame. Add some extra virgin olive oil and add your ground cumin seeds. Heat them up for a minute or two stirring with your wooden spoon.

Add your onions, capsicum then chillies and mix all together with the cumin.

Then add your meat and stir and mix together. It should all be sizzling nicely but don’t let your flame get too high now and burn the bottom. Keep stirring and mixing.

Now add your two cans of tomatoes and keep stirring and mixing. You may have to return to a higher heat to get the mixture bubbling. Juices from the meat will start to mix with the tomatoes so don’t panic just yet if it seems too dry. But if you feel it is sticking to the bottom of the pot act quickly and turn down the heat a little and add a little water. Keep stirring to keep off the bottom.

Once you feel it is bubbling sufficiently turn the heat down as low as it will go and put the lid on. Keep checking at this stage every 5 to 10 minutes to make sure it isn’t sticking to the bottom of the pot and keep stirring. Break out tip.

‘If you have accidentally burned the bottom do not stir at all. Turn off heat and remove all the unburned chilli, making sure that you do not get any of the tainted chilli mixed in. Then maybe pour in two smaller pots or wash burned chilli off bottom of same pot and reheat. If you have mixed burned chilli through still use same method just claim it has a traditional smoky flavour.’

Eventually you will find that the chilli is bubbling away nicely and isn’t sticking without stirring. Now you can be more confident and just a little less attentive. But remember that the heat builds under the lid and it will be boiling fiercely on an extremely low heat and will continue to do so even after the heat is off.

After you get it bubbling nicely add the red kidney beans and stir through.

Simmer on very low heat for two hours, ensuring it doesn’t stick to the bottom then turn off the heat and let sit for an hour to cool sufficiently, remembering that it will still be bubbling when the heat is off and making sure it hasn’t stuck to the bottom.

Now is the tricky part. Is your fridge big enough to hold your large pot? If not then there’s two things you can do. Remove the chilli into smaller containers and put in fridge, making sure you retain all the juices. Or you can by some ice and put the pot in ice in an esky, a sink or even the bath, making sure the ice doesn’t cover the lid. You don’t want it watered down now.

On the following day you need to allow at least 3 hours for reheating. Bring the chilli back up to the boil carefully, adjusting the flame to ensure the chilli isn’t sticking to the bottom.

Add the cooking chocolate squares and mix through then bubble slowly for two hours. Getting closer to the guests arriving make a decision whether the chilli is too liquid. If a firmer consistency is required then remove the lid and let the liquid evaporate a little to desired consistency. This technique can be used if the meat is to be served in tacos. I prefer sloppy bowl eatin’ chilli myself.

If happy with consistency turn off heat and let chilli sit for half an hour before serving. It has more flavour when it has cooled a little.

Helapenos can be served on the side simply sliced up if an extra ‘in your face’ kick is desired.

Serve in bowls with a dollop of sour cream and shredded cheese if desired. A spoon or spork or fork can be used for eatin’.

I like plain corn chips and use them as spoons as well.

Can also be served over rice for a more hearty meal but I feel it mutes the flavours a touch. But some may require it to ease some of the heat.

Drink beer, watch superbowl while drinking beer with Agavero Tequila Liqueur chasers.

Finish with Patron XO cafe tequila for sippin’ on.

Enjoy.

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...

Glad to see people are using chocolate in these chilis. It's an ingredient I added to mine a few years ago and I've never done without it since.

Smoked paprika is a must add too BTW.

Great thread.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

I've not championed a single chili recipe and make it different all the time. I've had several types of pasta whether it's cut up spaghetti, elbow macaroni, etc. My wife made a batch this week and substituted cheese tortellini and thought that was a really good combination.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

This is a basic/easy and tasty recipe.  It is awesome with corn bread or tortilla chips.  It is not a gourmet chili, but it has a freshness to it that is addictive to me.  The best part is that I can make a batch and section it off into 6 servings with corn bread and freeze for a nice affordable tasty lunch to take to work.  It just gets better after sitting in the fridge for one to three days.  Sorry for not posting until now.  I didn't notice the thread until forgop rehashed it.

2 lb lean ground beef
1 onion, chopped (I prefer a sweet onion)
2 (10-oz) cans diced tomatoes with green chiles (I use RoTel brand)
1 (14.5-oz) can organic crushed tomatoes 
1½ cups frozen whole kernel corn (I use an entire 10oz frozen bag)
1 (15-oz) can organic black beans, drained and
rinsed
1 (15-oz) can organic pinto beans, drained and
rinsed
1 Tbsp chili powder
1 tsp ground cumin
½ tsp salt
½ tsp pepper
Optional toppings: sour cream, chopped fresh
cilantro
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cook ground beef and onion in a large skillet
over medium heat, stirring until meat is
crumbled and browned; drain. (at this point you can freeze the beef & onions to put in slow cooker/Crock pot on the morning of your choosing-put in fridge the night before so you don't have to fight to get it out of the frozen container.  Sometimes I make enough ground beef and onions for a few different slow cooker recipes and put in ziploc bags and freeze so I don't have to brown ground in the morning.  Get the cans out and measure all of the seasoning the night before so you just have to throw everything in the pot in the morning.)

Transfer beef to
a 5- to 7-quart slow cooker; add diced
tomatoes, crushed tomatoes, corn, beans, chili
powder, cumin, salt and pepper. Cover and
cook on LOW 8 hours. Serve soup with
toppings, if desired.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

it is easy to add extra stuff to make interesting variations.