Cigar Flipping Discussion (moved from La Escepcion Thread)

Came across this thread and to me it really underscores the eternal tension you find in all kinds of interest forums -- "community" vs. "marketplace." The divergence is readily evident in the contrasting viewpoints in this thread.

Those who come here (and cigar forums in general) as "marketplace" fully expect that everyone will be operating at arms-length and each in his own self-interest. They not only expect that, they encourage it, whether they feel it best suits their profit motives, sense of fair play, or otherwise.

Those who come for "community" are in the forums for fellowship, and as such, naked self-interest is anathema to their experience.

The "community" people wouldn't dream of charging (or "overcharging") their thirsty neighbor for a glass of water.

The "marketplace" people cede ownership only on terms they feel advantageous and believe no one has the right to question their own sovereign motives.

It's probably a dynamic that can never be resolved, and while some forums try to be one or the other, you can always see the other side trying to make inroads at any given time.

• Like 4
  • Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Don't you know? Only licensed vendors can make money on cigars! If you smoke cigars you are required to call any other person who smokes cigars "brother" and sell to them at your exact cost! Now you

Wow, this thread is hard to believe. People, people, people...there will always be those that have access to hard to find things, that then turn around and sell them for a profit. I totally get that

Not just in terms of flipping but as a general consideration to pricing cigars for a private sale in the secondary market, one must keep in mind the risk of loss is removed once a box is local. In ma

Good post. Well written.

Agreed. Good synopsis to a long thread!

Although I think "charging (or "overcharging") their thirsty neighbor for a glass of water" is bending an analogy massively...

...ok, let's not start it again... nyah.gifpeace.gifinnocent.gif

The "community" people

The "marketplace" people

Personally, I don't think it's always so cut and dried / black and white - there are usually always shades of gray. It's not always easy to walk in another's shoes...

Agreed. Good synopsis to a long thread!

Although I think "charging (or "overcharging") their thirsty neighbor for a glass of water" is bending an analogy massively...

...ok, let's not start it again... nyah.gifpeace.gifinnocent.gif

I agree, but I think that some people did feel that the water analogy was in play, and I definitely wanted to make it clear that that that's not how I feel at all. When you're part of a community, or a neighbor, you should probably avoid trying stick it to your comrades if you want to continue to be a part of that community.

I think there is some charity implied by being a BOTL. But it is charity. Being un-charitable isn't immoral, it just makes you kind of a ****, and you are likely to get called out for it.

Not part of a community, do whatever you want. Business is business.

Nicely written and really on point Rick!

There is an behavioral economist named Dan Ariely that touches on this subject in one of his book. He calls it social and market norms. They both can be used in all settings but they are not appropriate in all of them. When the wrong set of norms is used, they collide. The example he gives is if you go to your mother for thanksgiving dinner and after an amazing meal you get up and say "well mom that amazing, how much do I owe you?" Silence...."300$ should be enough no?...you know what, lets make that 400$" In most family, the will not end well....Using market norms in a social norms setting. Collision!!