Wineador vs Coolerdor

mcease022

Hi All,

I am new to the forum, but have lurked around for a while. I am off to Cuba in a short while and I need some more storage. I will eventually get a nice humidor, but in the short term (up to a year) what is my best bet - a wineador or coolerdor? I dont think I have any need for cooling my cigars since I am in Canada and we have hot summers and cold winters and AC and central heating is constantly keeping the house regulated. I was thinking of a broken wine cooler or a very cheap one (without plugging it in). Do you think this is a better option than a cooler? Or does it matter either way?

TIA.

I am too looking for a new storage solution and seem to be in your same dilemma.

Now I might be wrong, but I don't see a functional difference between a cooler or a wine cooler that isn't plugged in. The only difference seems to be that the wine cooler would look nicer happy.png

The main thing holding me back from making a decision, is more of humidity control rather than temp and aesthetics. Boveda vs Heartfelt, wireless hygros and such..

I could be wrong about functionality, and I hope someone corrects me if I am. Maybe someone has crossed this road and has some tips depending on which option is chosen.

I am too looking for a new storage solution and seem to be in your same dilemma.

Now I might be wrong, but I don't see a functional difference between a cooler or a wine cooler that isn't plugged in. The only difference seems to be that the wine cooler would look nicer happy.png

The main thing holding me back from making a decision, is more of humidity control rather than temp and aesthetics. Boveda vs Heartfelt, wireless hygros and such..

I could be wrong about functionality, and I hope someone corrects me if I am. Maybe someone has crossed this road and has some tips depending on which option is chosen.

I am going to go with heartfelt beads based on my research. No experience with them yet. /the wine cooler definitely looks nicer and i can get a cheap used one for the price of a cooler.

Cooler is cheaper and just as efficient if you don't need temp control. For what it's worth I have two coolers with beads and they work great. One for cc and the other for nc.

Yeah if you've got stable temps, then a sealed coolerdor with passive (Boveda, beads, etc.) is less expensive and, perhaps, safer. The risk with cooling or heating a small storage box (i.e. wineador) is that the cold plate can create excess liquid water, or if you've gone super fancy with a solid state thermoelectric heating/cooling device (which I think are super cool!) those sometimes have a failure mode that can output waste heat into your cigar storage space.

So while the higher tech stuff can be super fun (and I'm personally planning a project like this), in the end a lower tech solution is best IF you've got stable conditions. Think a nice cellar stuck year around at 65/65 and that's nirvana in my book.

However, if the cigars have to live with you in the Living Room, or you just like to show off the look (and who doesn't like a softly backlit cabinet humidor?) then you'll have to go with technology and modern appliance to get the job done. :cigar:

• Like 1

Coolers seem to seal better with less effort than wine-a-Dors. If there isn't a need for temperature control, and it isn't going to be furniture, I'd go with a cooler.

I don't know anything about wine coolers, but I've gotten terrific use out of my coolerdors. They seal so tight they can go a long time between hydration, especially after you get a bunch of boxes in there to stabilize things. Just be sure to get a big one!

Same here. I have a half pound of beads and the RH is a constant 66%.... The only problem is that I'll soon need another.

Coolers seem to seal better with less effort than wine-a-Dors. If there isn't a need for temperature control, and it isn't going to be furniture, I'd go with a cooler.

I have both and the large wine fridge is where others can see it and is one of the Humidors I go into regularly. It is not plugged in and works fine but I do have to mist my beads regularly in the winter. The cooler I have for aging is in the basement where it is cooler and not out for anyone to see. I don't open it very often and as was said above, the seal is much better so it is rare I need to mist the beads.

Both options work, it just comes down to what works better for your needs and situation.

Quick question regarding coolers. If I go the cooler route I am thinking igloo because it is food grade plastic. Does it matter what brand I use? They all seem to have a plastic smell to them that has to be removed. Can you give advice on removing the smell. I read leave newspaper in it for a day or so to soak up the smell and wash with warm water and baking soda or warm water and mild dish detergent. Am I on the right track here? Just dont want my cigars ruined by plastic smell.

Quick question regarding coolers. If I go the cooler route I am thinking igloo because it is food grade plastic. Does it matter what brand I use? They all seem to have a plastic smell to them that has to be removed. Can you give advice on removing the smell. I read leave newspaper in it for a day or so to soak up the smell and wash with warm water and baking soda or warm water and mild dish detergent. Am I on the right track here? Just dont want my cigars ruined by plastic smell.

Yep! All of that works. Will probably take closer to 3 days to get the scent out though. I start with white vinegar, which kills the plastic smell but leaves a vinegar smell and then do the baking soda to kill that and follow it with several courses of mild detergent, lots of water and then two days of fresh air and sunshine.

I'm currently using 3 Coleman Extreme coolers and very happy with them

I'm currently using 3 Coleman Extreme coolers and very happy with them

Likewise (except I have 4). I let them bake opened in the bright sunshine for a day and there was no smell left whatsoever.

Another vote for a Cooler. So easy to use, I got a 120 qt cooler for $54 & have never had any issues whatsoever with it.

• Like 1

Likewise (except I have 4). I let them bake opened in the bright sunshine for a day and there was no smell left whatsoever.

It is winter up here in Canada, so no way to let it bake in the sun. Is it possible to get the smell out in the winter while keeping it inside, or airing it out in the freezing cold?

Another thought in regards to a cooer - I currently have a desktop humidor - can I put that right in the cooler? The seal is not that great. If I do put it in should I keep it opened or closed in the cooler?

Another thought in regards to a cooer - I currently have a desktop humidor - can I put that right in the cooler? The seal is not that great. If I do put it in should I keep it opened or closed in the cooler?

Honestly i don't see the benefit of doing that and besides, the desktop will take to much space especially if you leave the lid open.

It is winter up here in Canada, so no way to let it bake in the sun. Is it possible to get the smell out in the winter while keeping it inside, or airing it out in the freezing cold?

Err - you got me, man. I would suggest to wash them out with soapy water. Mine didn't smell much to begin with. I bought them at Costco, by the way.

For what you're describing for your location and what you think you need it for - coolerdor, bar none. Cheapest, easiest, most fool-proof set-up to go with for your needs. Also, check out the "Humidor Tutorial" subforum. If you do a search in there for "coolerdors" or something along that ilk, you'll find a ton of useful threads in there. Myself and I few others have put some pretty extensive stuff in there that answers a lot of your above questions, and may be helpful for some other points that you haven't thought about yet. Cheers.