Steelhead

SRH1

fantastic.

sight casting?

do you have any pics of the flies? i ask as it seems you guys use much larger flies for trough than we do.

Yes, the water was VERY low and clear and we were sight fishing. Really had to work hard for hookups on this trip as the fish were quite spooky.

Don't have any pix of the flies handy but I can tell you I tend to have the most success with size 16-18 standard nymph and bead head caddis patterns. An egg fly pattern called 'crystal meth' in various color combos in sizes 14-16 can be very effective too.

My buddy hooked up with a couple using a 'Picket Pin'. Think it was tied on a size 14 streamer hook.

Low water conditions... I assume you were bouncing eggs or nymphs?

Caught one on a size 16 peacock herl caddis with a copper bead and the other on a pink and white 'crystal meth' egg imitation. Both were fished near the bottom. Actually had some swirls 'skittering' a large dry fly on the surface. Have yet to hook one on a dry, but def. had some interest this time. :)

• Like 1

Yes, the water was VERY low and clear and we were sight fishing. Really had to work hard for hookups on this trip as the fish were quite spooky.

Don't have any pix of the flies handy but I can tell you I tend to have the most success with size 16-18 standard nymph and bead head caddis patterns. An egg fly pattern called 'crystal meth' in various color combos in sizes 14-16 can be very effective too.

My buddy hooked up with a couple using a 'Picket Pin'. Think it was tied on a size 14 streamer hook.

ta for that. in nz, we sometimes have success with an egg pattern but they don't seem to use it often.