An Evening With Everyone’s Buddy, Hamlet Jaime Paredes…

Reading this gives me hope that my Robusto I picked up will be better when I visit in a couple months. I had one that was rather new and was a bit meh, probably due to being young. And I do get what you mean about the mouth feel of the smoke itself. Something I find lacking in a lot of the non-Cuban brands, but not all.

• Like 1

I wholeheartedly agree that this is a very un-rocky like blend. Most of RP line ì am not a fan of. I enjoy 10 but really dig this one. The pc is so flavorful. But I prefer the Salamones, big cigar, big flavor and great value for the burn time (2ish hours)

• Like 1

Nice Keith! Thanks for the write-up.

I've enjoyed the couple of times I've been able to catch up with Jaime since he's come state-side though will miss seeing him at the Partagas shop.

Tabaquero is an interesting blend for sure, particularly surprising for me what he's done with the San Andres wrapper and the Brazilian binder adds some nice notes.

• Like 1

Thanks for sharing. I'm always happy to hear stories of Hamlet doing so well in this new venture. I picked up some Salomones, and have only had a chance to try one, but it was pretty good. Nothing ground breaking, but when you consider the circumstances, how quickly he was able to come up with it, I have a lot of hope for what he'll be able to do once he can actually spend time in Nicaragua blending and working more closely with the leaf.

Wish they'd schedule Hamlet for an appearance in my neck of the woods. Would love the opportunity to experience this.

Thanks for sharing Keith. I haven't had any of his sticks, but just with all the hoopla over him I am curious. I sure do not like that band...it's not about the band I get that, but man it looks like a hot sauce bottle.

Again not to be a black cloud on this awesome thread, just my opinion. I am still curious to try one though....cheers.

Keith, did you ask Hamlet when he'll be adding panetelas to the Tabaquero line? sneaky.gif

I did kinda hit him on that. Said, "how the eff can you call yourself a Master Roller if you won't do lanceros or panetelas - mang?!?!?!" LOL. He was graceful in telling me off. LOL.

Great stuff, Keith. Hopefully Hamlet will be able to make a trip north of the border soon.

e

We talked about that. He's waiting on his green card to be processed. Once he has that, he can come up here to visit (fingers crossed for the next MegaHerf!!!!), he can go down to Nicaragua to work on blending directly (rather than them flying stuff to him in Florida), and most importantly, he'll be able to go back to Cuba (relatively unimpeded) to visit family again.

Thanks for sharing Keith. I haven't had any of his sticks, but just with all the hoopla over him I am curious. I sure do not like that band...it's not about the band I get that, but man it looks like a hot sauce bottle.

Again not to be a black cloud on this awesome thread, just my opinion. I am still curious to try one though....cheers.

It was something that I talked about with Nick, the Rocky Patel regional rep. He said the overall response has been positive. It was something that Hamlet and his family (especially his Dad) put some time and thought into. But apparently, the guys on Halfwheel torched it, said it was ugly, etc. I guess Hamlet was like "why are they so bothered by my choice for the band????"

Personally, as much as it screams Christmas to me with the colour choices, I do like it. The overall designs and shapes work well. And, quite frankly, they stand out on the shelves in a B&M's humidor compared to other stuff. Unique is good, especially as it relates to him getting the word out, and making a further mark for himself.

I did kinda hit him on that. Said, "how the eff can you call yourself a Master Roller if you won't do lanceros or panetelas - mang?!?!?!" LOL. He was graceful in telling me off. LOL.

We talked about that. He's waiting on his green card to be processed. Once he has that, he can come up here to visit (fingers crossed for the next MegaHerf!!!!), he can go down to Nicaragua to work on blending directly (rather than them flying stuff to him in Florida), and most importantly, he'll be able to go back to Cuba (relatively unimpeded) to visit family again.

It was something that I talked about with Nick, the Rocky Patel regional rep. He said the overall response has been positive. It was something that Hamlet and his family (especially his Dad) put some time and thought into. But apparently, the guys on Halfwheel torched it, said it was ugly, etc. I guess Hamlet was like "why are they so bothered by my choice for the band????"

Personally, as much as it screams Christmas to me with the colour choices, I do like it. The overall designs and shapes work well. And, quite frankly, they stand out on the shelves in a B&M's humidor compared to other stuff. Unique is good, especially as it relates to him getting the word out, and making a further mark for himself.

You make a valid point about being different and standing out in a shop......maybe they look better in person where you can actually see the fine detail and everything.

• Like 1

I think they look fine. I don't personally care what the band looks like although I know it can have an effect marketing wise. To me it would catch my eye and I think that is key. Its about grabbing the attention of the customer. I do like the Opus X band. Just something about it gets me.

Look forward to trying one of his cigars!

• Like 1