Great sticks of yesteryear

I'm sure all of us could mention a handful of cigars that we would jump thru hoops or plunge off a cliff for. Maybe that's just life and all good or great things must come to a end. I wonder why these acts of sadness continue to happen in the Cuban cigar world. Are they scraped due to lack of sales, tobacco, or popularity at the time?

Maybe everyone could chime in on the cigars they miss most from yesteryear and maybe why they think this happens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm new here, but hope to start spending some time having heard about this group through a FB acquaintance. Regarding this topic, the Montecristo A has always intrigued me the most. Long ago (couldn't credit a source) I read that back in the heyday of Hollywood, this was really the cigar of choice. I have smoked some that I got about 15 years ago, but today I couldn't say it was or was not a reliable source. I know they're not by definition "of yesteryear," since they're still made, but because of the mystique, rarity and price they do evoke at least a little yearning in me.

The coolest puro experience I can remember was a ski trip in the Italian Alps in the early 90's. I was there with my rugby club (LPRFC) on a great package deal (through the Chicago Police Ski Club...none of us were cops...and it's a long story as to how we got to go) and stayed in an old but nice hotel with a bar area that was a throw-back to an earlier time. Game trophies along the walls, and Massimo the bar tender always in white tux jacket. He had some Cuban Davidoffs that were $100/stick then. That was a great treat and experience that had as much (or more) to do with the companions and environment, as it did with the cigar.

• Like 1

Just what is it with the mystique of the Diplomaticos marca? For those who would give their right leg for a box of #4s what about them was so great? I know the brand was supposed to be a "cheaper version of Montecristo". I was once gifted a #3 corona, and it definitely was not like a Monte and had it's own unique flavors. But it did not knock my socks off. Maybe you Dip lovers can weigh in!! Please.

• Like 1

Just what is it with the mystique of the Diplomaticos marca? For those who would give their right leg for a box of #4s what about them was so great? I know the brand was supposed to be a "cheaper version of Montecristo". I was once gifted a #3 corona, and it definitely was not like a Monte and had it's own unique flavors. But it did not knock my socks off. Maybe you Dip lovers can weigh in!! Please.

Dip 4's were a unique petit corona. For me it has elements of montecristo, partagas and por larranaga. Coffee of the Monte, savoury spices of partagas and the sweeter honeys/spices of Por larranaga.

It is it's uniqueness and consistency that made it so popular among long standing cuban cigar smokers.

The 1's were very good. The 3's not my favourite (a little too light for my palate). The 5's very good. But it was the 4 that really stood out for me. The number 1 came in slightly behind. Elegant cigar, great flavour complexity.

• Like 4

I think Prez sums it up pretty well. Diplos are pretty good fresh or with a year of age, but with 5+ they start really kicking. I still have some 4's from a 2006 box. This year marks 10 years on them and they are quite exceptional. Loads of flavor to this day. In the event that the 2's ever disappear, I've been stocking up. I continue to track down aged boxes of all things Diplo.

• Like 2

punch SS 2's

I've enjoyed quite a few punch cigars in my day, but never had a SS 2's. I've had a few of the smaller RG brother, the SS 1's. Pretty good tobacco in the late 2000's.

Coming from you I am guessing I missed a good one Ken. Do any of the coronas currently being made do anything for ya? I find the coronations to be delightful but only after 3-4+ yrs of maturing...

I've only been at this since 2009 but here's what I miss.

• Diplomaticos No 4
  • Trinidad Robusto T
  • Ramon Allones 898
  • Bolivar Corona Extras
  • Partagas SDC No 1/2/3
  • ERDM Tainos
  • LGC No 1.
  • QdO Panatellas.
  • QdO Gran Coronas
  • Like 1

Hi all,

The ones that I miss the most are all the one's of the 70's and the 80's that are no longer with us.

They had a whole different profil then today's . One's that come to mind are, the H. Upmann, Super Coronas

and also the Partagas,Royales without forgeting the Punch, Royal seleccion No. 11 ,

Corona Gordas.

Guy

• Like 1